Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

DX10 on Win XP possible?

I think the issue is Vista a better OS than XP? A significant part of the reason Vista requires more of a computer than XP is because of the DRM and Microsoft security features built into vista whic require more use of cpu amd ram resources(because it is checking up on your system far and sending info to microsoft far more frequently than XP does) than a XP machine. DX10 is the only real improvement built into Vista and is the only leverage to get users to convert. On the other hand when XP came out it was a significant advancement over Win98 and had features that appealed to all types of users not just gamers which is why you saw people lining up to buy XP and no big lines for Vista on its release. So is Vista better on a E6600 (to use an example) than XP? I think not.Will

I see your point....you are quoting minimum requirements to run a piece of software, and asserting that the overall population of support calls will normalize to faster computers, just because the slower computers are unable to convert to Vista.Perhaps that is valid statistically for support groups, but the population of enthusiasts that home build spanky fast machines may still prefer xp for stability reasons.Its clear to me that you did not intend to suggest vista is faster than xp on comparable computers.I really wish I saw something in vista I wanted, but evertime I look at reviews I see reports of problems, suggestions that vista problems are those one should expect if one is going to be an early adopter, suggestions that one should "expect" problems from the first totally new os since 2001....like "give ms a break". Well, ok..but why should I stop using xp? Its clear there is no reason. Just dx10. I guess logic says to wait until SP2 or so for Vista, when the drivers all exist, and when the prices drop, then bend over and fork out some dough just to see dx10....and hope that I'm not back into the bad ol days of unstable windows....sheesh...sad that I can't forever let the NOT broken os remain UNfixed.B

It all depends upon what you are looking for.To the CIO of the company I work for - DX-10, Aero and such are just extra eye candy.The company has a list of about 40+ critical new things in Vista they want implemented - most revolving around SEC & SOX security requirements.Keeps me employed making all the legacy apps work.But at home - I will upgrade exactly zero of my computers - gaming or otherwise.But I will not buy a new computer with XP, only Vista.I think people overestimate the size of the tweakers in the gamer community.Re: Long lines for XP and not Vista.First - for Vista the hardware requirements made it clear to many people that an upgrade was not a good idea.Second - a lot of Win98 and WinME people skipped Win2000. The post on this forum about incompatability, rights issues, etc. were pretty bad - probably worse than the FSX posts.XP came at a time which was right for the move from 9x to NT.

Guest tmilton

Even if they made it possible to use DX10 on XP, at the most it would slow down but not seriously hinder the steady upgrades to Vista in the long run.Vista is the OS of the future. It's here to stay and whether we want to or not, the vast majority of the world will eventually be using the new OS as the standard.

It's just disappointing that six yrs. and ten billion get you an OS that is win2000 at worst and maybe win95 at best. So we have to wait until Service Pack #2 (since Microsoft isn't promising much for SP#1) for Vista to work reliably. Sounds like MS needs to work a litle faster on the next OS Will

Jeese.....sadly, I'm not surprised. And we wonder why global anti-americanism is at an all-time high....how does this make us look in the eyes of the rest of the world? Greed, greed, greed...too bad really....http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I honestly dont understand this sentiment, that there is something wrong with MS deciding to only implement a new feature on a new product and not making it available as a free upgrade for the old product.After 5.5+ years with XP, why do people think they are entitled to get free upgrades? Where was the promise, explicit or implied, that free upgrades would be available for ever?And why, because after some time the free upgrade gravy train stops, is this just "greed" and not just "business"? What other industry would or does deliver free upgrades ad infinitum?And thats ignoring the technical facts in this case, where FallingLeafSystems is claiming something that just is plain not true. They cannot deliver on all their claims, and how large the subset they can deliver is not clear at this time.

>Jeese.....sadly, I'm not surprised. And we wonder why global>anti-americanism is at an all-time high....how does this make>us look in the eyes of the rest of the world? Greed, greed,>greed...too bad really....>>>http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gif>>Alex Christoff>N562Z>Baltimore, MDNot to take this thread off topic, but anti-Americanism is only high among self-loathing Americans and terrorists. Most other rational people understand the real dangers in the world today. Now back to software and why you feel it should be free...isn't that your point, that charging for innovation is greed? Does any company have the right to exact a return on investment for new products?

Guest abulaafia

>I honestly don't understand this sentiment,You obviously don't partake in the general anti-Vista vibe, being a slave of the evil empire, and what ho! :) I have had countless discussions, live and virtual, re the Evils of Vi$ta, which I too can't be bothered to install. What all the arguments come down to is that all the free downloads, the unlicensed software, the robbin' and the stealin' other people's creations will come to an end with Vista and its dreaded DRM. Thus being pro or contra Vista becomes a political statement, legit vs. hacker, establishment vs. revolution, Adam Smith vs. Karl Marx and what not. Those who buy into DRM and Vista are slaves of the evil empire!The more level-headed and politically disinclined (such as, hmmm, I) may argue that the bottom line is features. As a user, Vista doesn't offer me anything new. All the new features benefit other people: corporations, government, lawyers, MS of course, etc. but they ain't for me, Joe User. Now, with dismal Vista sales reminding me that I am not the only one not interested in Vi$ta, M$ says DX10 will be only for Vista. I want DX10. Hence my feeling that - all technical aspects aside which Joe can't be bothered with, seriously - M$ is trying to force Vista on me through DX10. And we can't have that! That's the sort of sentiment you need to understand. ==Marten:Weber==P-D920 oc3.64MHz 2GB RAM WinXP ATI X1900+1024MB 2xSATA250 2xVIEWSONIC 19"Best AI available today: www.world-of-ai.com

I bought my house because it had a single feature none of the others I looked at had, and my airplane likewise.Was I forced into both?-or did I have the choice to walk away even though they both had a feature I really wanted?I think I agree with you-Vista hasn't offered that much revolutionary for me-(although aero , having a video running as my screen background , the cool gadgets on the side I am really enjoying, and a whole slew of little features that make life easier have made me very happy with it). Dx10 and fsx will be icing on the cake.The sentiment I understand-but I bought my car 3 years ago for the cool built in gps it had.....I sometimes wish I had bought another model-but I do love the gps and really wanted it at the time.... :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I don't believe MS is forcing you to buy it considering you have choices. FS9 and FSX both run under XP just fine, it's that nagging desire to have the most up to date cool wigamagig that forces you to get DX10.Consider console gaming which is somewhat comparable to a degree...I've owned nearly all going back to Pong, Atari 2600, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox360... it's a neverending evolution of technology which compels people to get the latest and greatest.Look at bloody cell phones for goodness sakes. Still don't see the point of cramming games and crap in em, but hey, I'm getting old. Mine shows the number and lets me dial and talk. It's all a matter of perspective.For Vista, I got it for 10 bucks from Dell when I bought a duo system. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise (not due to bad press, just don't buy new OS without a new system), and I'll assume most Joe's will go that route either by choice or need for a new system at some point or other. Vista isn't a bad thing, DRM isn't the choice of MS, blame the entertainment industry.Another thing to note is it's been nearly 5 years? since XP came out and considering operating systems are the root of MS revenue I'd assume they would at least need a revenue boost with a new or upgraded system. So it's not what everyone wanted, neither is the new Honda/Toyota/Chevy etc...., but hey that's only 20-30 thousand dollars, not 199.I will say I'm enjoying vista just as much if not more than XP. It seems more polished and has some nice subtle features, seems to run well and is a bridge to future technology. Can't complain, never understood the wasted time complaining over these things, better time could be spent with flying, family or friends (not necessarily in that order). Ian.