Sign in to follow this  
ega

New Nvidia 4000 series graphics cards

Some of these cards are going to be pretty much four slot designs apparently. Anybody purchasing one would be well advised to consider an effective support bracket. In fact Galax are providing a hefty "support stick". 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 11:04 PM, chickster25 said:

We aren’t even utilising the features of the current gen of video cards yet,

mine often runs at some 80-90% load, so which features exactly are we not utilising? and as research has shown: software follows hardware, eggs and hen problem, or was it eggs and ham...

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

39 minutes ago, turbomax said:

mine often runs at some 80-90% load, so which features exactly are we not utilising? and as research has shown: software follows hardware, eggs and hen problem, or was it eggs and ham...

I meant that up until SU10, we couldnt use features like DLSS.

Although I must admit that now SU10 is here, I see no difference between DX11 and DX12 with DLSS.

5 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Important, if you are buying 40 series.

Most if not all of this YouTube stuff is rubbish imo. 
It’s like somebody let the daily Mail (U.K.) loose with video editing. 

Headlines like “your gpu WILL FAIL if you don’t do this” and “4000 serious MUST haves!” 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Most if not all of this YouTube stuff is rubbish imo. 
I

Edited 9 hours ago by Ianrivaldosmith

Your opinion is wrong. The adapters litteraly do not have the data connection. Communication between the PSU and graphics card is thus not possible. The adapters do only have a cycle life of 30 insertions. This is factual information.

PCI SIG, the official body that govern this, sent an email to all its members warning of melted cables.

Edited by martin-w

43 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Your opinion is wrong.

An opinion can’t be wrong on subjective matters. 

And I’m sure nvidia ain’t gonna release hundred of thousands of 4series cards with a major issue. 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

An opinion can’t be wrong on subjective matters. 

Its not subjective its objective. 

The evidence is provided by the PCI SIG. Its a fact that the adapters have melted, hence the warning, hence the emails to its members. Its also a fact that the adapters don't have the pins to enable data to pass from the PSU to graphics card, which enables the graphics card to limit its power draw if insufficient power is available from the PSU. It also appears to be an issue that can impact standard cabling not just the adapters.

But I'm sure you will still try to argue.

And I’m sure nvidia ain’t gonna release hundred of thousands of 4series cards with a major issue

You don't understand the issue. If you had watched the video you would have.

Its nothing to do with 40 series cards having an issue, its the cables under significant bending and greater than 40 cycles. No data provided by the adapters doesn't help either. PCI SIG included photographic images of the burnt cables to their members and suppliers.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

PCI SIG, the official body that govern this, sent an email to all its members warning of melted cables.

GamersNexus showed examples of such melted GPU power connectors and cables in a recent youtube. 500 watts through such connectors and cables is delicate.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

Just now, turbomax said:

GamersNexus showed examples of such melted GPU power connectors and cables cables in a recent youtube. 500 watts through such connectors and cables is delicate.

Yep...

• Like 1

12VHPWR connectors and assemblies have demonstrated thermal variance, which could result in safety issues under certain conditions. Although PCI-SIG specifications provide necessary information for interoperability, they do not attempt to encompass all aspects of proper design, relying on numerous industry best-known methods and standard design practices. As the PCI-SIG workgroups include many knowledgeable experts in the field of connector and system design, they will be looking at the information available about this industry issue and assisting in any resolution to whatever extent is appropriate.

As more details emerge, PCI-SIG may provide further updates. In the meantime, we recommend members work closely with their connector vendors and exercise due diligence in using high-power connections, particularly where safety concerns may exist.

Thank You,

Above is the PCI SIG email to its members and suppliers.

https://wccftech.com/atx-3-0-12vhpwr-gen-5-connector-major-safety-risk-using-adapter-confirms-pci-sig/

Real-World Testing Shows Inaequately Balanced Load Using Gen 5 Power Adapters

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

But I'm sure you will still try to argue.

That’s because I was talking about YouTube videos in general, not your points about the cables. I can get that information by reading an informed article, without watching some ad riddled YouTube content creating rubbish. 

So yes it’s subjective. Because I’m sure some people like YouTube. And that’s just my opinion, which is neither wrong nor right. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

Yet another reason for me not buying a 4xxx series Nvidia card.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That’s because I was talking about YouTube videos in general, not your points about the cables.

Then why make that opinion known in response to a video that contained  factual information. Your opinion wasn't relevant to the content of the video posted, and the content of the video was contrary to you're opinion of such video's. 

So yes it’s subjective. Because I’m sure some people like YouTube. And that’s just my opinion, which is neither wrong nor right.

And nothing to do with the video posted, or its content, thus a random comment not relevant. Thus, one would have expected it to relate to the video you commented on, hence the reply. 

And the following reply WAS in refence to the video, all be it based on a misunderstanding of the issue... 

"And I’m sure nvidia ain’t gonna release hundred of thousands of 4series cards with a major issue."

I can get that information by reading an informed article, without watching some ad riddled YouTube content creating rubbish. 

So you assumed the video was "ad riddled rubbish" without first watching it to determine if that was true? 

Seems to me you are new to this field and aren't familiar with which PC YouTube content creators are "rubbish" and those those that aren't. Jayzs2Cents and Gamers Nexus generally aren't "rubbish", they are very good, informative, channels.

Edited by martin-w

26 minutes ago, stans said:

Yet another reason for me not buying a 4xxx series Nvidia card.

that's good news. I'll gladly take it. more good news:

Compute North, a Bitcoin (BTC) mining data centre company, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and CEO Dave Perrill departed earlier this month, Cryptoslate noted. According to reports, the company owes $500 million to around 200 creditors and has assets worth between $100 and $500 million.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.