Sign in to follow this  
Mike A

The Space Force Unveils Sempra Supra

I hadn't heard it was cancelled.  Thank the Lord for that.  Like awarding a medal for successfully flying an MSFS PMDG B737 from Los Angeles to Chicago with only one restroom break plus an oak leaf cluster for going to the kitchen to refill the coffee cup without spilling a drop.

Noel

• Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

5 hours ago, Chock said:

Frankly, he sounds like a douchebag.

Whatever.

Not having ever served myself, I can only listen with a sort "not-me" horror to the things he's seen and been through; and, if he feels he is entitled to some extra pride above those who have not shared those type of experiences, then that's as up to him as your opinion is up to you.

The apparently numerous amount of private groups for combat veterans only (you have to prove your service before you are allowed in) has always seemed to me to indicate that his feelings are not that uncommon

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

6 hours ago, Chock said:

if he did manage to make it there without the assistance of others, would not have been on record either

You forgot calling for close air support when you were in trouble.

But I would add that getting shot at, having your Hummer blown up by a roadside bomb and surviving it or having to shoot your way out of an ambush does give one some bragging rights.  But those bragging rights do not include disparaging others.

In Vietnam just going to local bar in the evening and having a VC toss a bomb inside would give a wounded clerk typist a Purple Heart.  Today's wars are a far cry from WW2 and Korea where the enemy wore uniforms.

When I was at Nah Trang we had an unofficial agreement with the VC.  We had free run of the bars in town from noon until midnight.  From midnight until 6:00AM they had free run of the town.  It was a limited truce that both sides honored.

Now it's my turn to brag.  You get a star on the National Defense Ribbon for each war you have participated in.  For a while I was one of the few who had three stars on that ribbon...Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm.  Now, of course, with all the wars we have been engaged in many people have more stars than that on the Nation Defense Ribbon.

I had left active duty with 16 years under my belt.  I pursued a civilian career.  16 years later I joined the Colorado Air Guard to finish out my time for retirement.  I was in the air guard when Desert Storm started so I got my third star.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

The US military have many, many ribbons, some of which are really nothing more than "I was there" awards. The easiest to "earn" has been the National Defense Service medal (aka the "I survived Basic Training" medal), which was awarded during any of the four periods of conflict: Korean Conflict, Vietnam War, Gulf War, and Global War on Terrorism. The latter period extends until to December 31, 2022.

Note that no one actually had to be anywhere in the warzone to be eligible for the medal. they simply had to have a pulse...  😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr Bill, where does Desert Storm fit in?  Is it part of the Gulf war or is it a separate conflict.  My third star was for Desert Storm.  Do the Gulf War and the War on Terrorism add two stars?

I was called up for Desert Storm but I never went there.  Instead I was sent to The Presidio of San Francisco to coordinate weather support for all the reserve and national guard call up areas.  The senior NCO quarters were filled up when I got there so I was given a rental car and stayed at the Travel Lodge at Fisherman's Wharf.  Just another sacrifice I made for my country.  My tour only lasted three weeks.

Noel

15 hours ago, birdguy said:

Fr Bill, where does Desert Storm fit in?  Is it part of the Gulf war or is it a separate conflict.  My third star was for Desert Storm.  Do the Gulf War and the War on Terrorism add two stars?

Operation Desert Storm began Jan. 17, 1991, after Iraqi forces who had invaded neighboring Kuwait refused to withdraw. The conflict is now commonly known as the Gulf War, having been simply one campaign of the overall war.

So no, Operation Desert Storm being simply a component part of the overall Gulf War would only add one star to existing holders of NDSM.

The Global War on Terrorism being some 25 years subsequent to the Gulf War indeed would merit another star to the NDSM for existing holders.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The topic is starting to drift off of the space farce thingy! 🚀🛸

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Outside of transport will the Space Force pilots have fighters?  Will they borrow USAF aircraft or will they have their own with USSF on the side?  I am assuming here that fighter pilots will be in the Space Force for whatever reason.

Noel

38 minutes ago, charliearon said:

The topic is starting to drift off of the space farce thingy!

Lost in Space?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

8 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Lost in Space?

One could only hope!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

28 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Outside of transport will the Space Force pilots have fighters?  Will they borrow USAF aircraft or will they have their own with USSF on the side?  I am assuming here that fighter pilots will be in the Space Force for whatever reason.

Noel

Won't they be flying these?? 

download.jpeg

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

I thought Space Force was formed to fight cyberSPACE threats.

Edited by 3Green

1 hour ago, 3Green said:

I thought Space Force was formed to fight cyberSPACE threats.

Years ago I was in group given a tour of Cheyenne Mountain.  I saw Air Force personnel working to fight space threats.  If I stated here why I though Space Force was formed the thread would be shut down.

Noel

• Like 1