Sign in to follow this  
Luis Novais Reis

SimConnect - how get Destination Airport Runway?

Hi,

I have searched a lot but I cannot find one answer!

At the MSFS 2020 itself,  I create a Flight Plan where there are Departure Runway and Destination Runway and select Auto Pilot to follow the route.

The question is  :How I get the Destination Runway? If the whole Flight Plan is at the simulator to use the Nav  mode, Simconnect should know that Information

Thks

Luis

If there is not simulator variable with this information, then you can't get it with SimConnect.

There isn't a lot of flight plan related information in the GPS variables, so I tend to process the flight plan file instead. But come to think of it, I don't believe that the even the file has the runway information.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

Well I think it must be possible... I give all my PSXseeconTraffic aircraft a simple flight plan, consisting of Origin and Destination airport only, via SimConnect (SimConnect_AISetAircraftFlightPlan).

External program LittleNavMap is able to display the origin and destination in its window next to altitude, speed and so on, and to my knowledge the only way she can obtain that information from the Sim, is via SimConnect calls.

• Like 1

Hi Lorby, as Kiek says I think it is possible  I found today an App called FS-FlightControl that has a dll called ABToolsSimConnect.I  As he retrieves the whole Flight Plan I can imagine that is bt Simconnect calls.

I know the GPS variables but only has Previous and Next Waypoints. Or the developer iterates and put (???)  the aircraft at  the Next Ids and with that he get all waypoints

8 hours ago, kiek said:

Well I think it must be possible... I give all my PSXseeconTraffic aircraft a simple flight plan, consisting of Origin and Destination airport only, via SimConnect (SimConnect_AISetAircraftFlightPlan).

External program LittleNavMap is able to display the origin and destination in its window next to altitude, speed and so on, and to my knowledge the only way she can obtain that information from the Sim, is via SimConnect calls.

The OP was asking for a method to read the departunre/destination -runway- To my best knowledge, this information doesn't exist in the simulator variables. He is not creating aircraft, he wants to read the information from his own flightplan.

6 hours ago, Luis Novais Reis said:

Lorby, you are right, the developer  has used the file

That is the usual pattern. You get the name of the flight plan file from SimConnect, there are methods for that. Then you parse the file and extract the information that you need.

Which is also the reason why none of these external tools can read the flight plan from the FMC. The FMCs are usually self contained assets and don't create simulator flight plan files at all. The user must do that manually. They have to do that anyway, when they want to fly with ATC:

In MSFS additional information is available from the Javascript services. But naturally only from inside the sim, not for external processes. So you have to write a HTML/JS gauge asset or in-sim panel that retrieves the information and then transmit it to your main program in the outside world. Or create the whole thing as an in-sim panel in the first place.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

The OP was asking for a method to read the departunre/destination -runway-

Aha I see, my mistake. No, you are right,  the destination runway cannot be retrieved via SimConnect..