Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 is out!

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

Hm, okay, paused the sim, switched to windowed mode and then minimised it... PC keeps on blowing as it does when I play the sim and CPU and GPU-usage is still very high. Nothing changed. This low power mode doesn't seem to do anything...?

It certainly works on my system. I run an aggressive GPU fan curve that sets the GPU fans  to 100% at 55 C and within seconds the fans ramp down if I minimise the sim.

Vsync must be on for this feature to work. Could that be your issue?

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

3 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

I'm absolutely amazed my old 1080ti/8700k setup can run this butter smooth in VR and there is no need for me to use ASW nor reprojection mode.

DX11 or 12? Also, did you see much improvement with DLSS instead of TAA?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

45 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

It certainly works on my system. I run an aggressive GPU fan curve that sets the GPU fans  to 100% at 55 C and within seconds the fans ramp down if I minimise the sim.

Yes, good point. There's definitely something that's not working for @tup61. 

2 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

I'm trying to lock my FPS at full 100% (60Hz on my monitor), but I get 45/60fps when on the ground and there is a light stuttering (high render scaling and terrain detail values). So the 50% is the right solution for a perfect smoothness.

I also use MSFS vsync at 100% refresh for my 60 hz monitor, but I also set a fps limit to 45 in the graphics driver.  This delivers silky smooth 45 fps performance without any screen tearing, with the added benefit of giving a little relief to both my gcard and cpu.  In the past, this sort of setting resulted in stutters, but not now.  I find running at 45 fps is much nicer looking overall than 30 fps of the 50% lock in MSFS.

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Go ahead and run your expensive card fully hot for no real benefit.  Or, use Vsync and enjoy smooth stutter-free video while running a cool GPU.  Oh, and I also run RS at 120-130, all Ultra but T-LOD needs to be around 120 for complex planes in complex terminals.

I'm pretty sure v-sync is on.

i9 9900K at 4.9ghz, MSI RTX 3080, 32 G RAM, (3) 1TB SSD 

On 9/21/2022 at 8:59 PM, sniper31 said:

Make that me as well. I am having this exact problem with the VFR map. Otherwise, SU10 is working well for me. 

Have you found any solution for the VFR map zoom in & out problem using the mouse scroll?

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

2 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

Oh, really... bummer... I have an official G-Sync monitor and hence vsync is off. Don't know if I want to turn it on just for this because afaik I will lose the advantage of G-Sync...

EDIT
Just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztIehwt6qd8 and it says you CAN use v-sync with g-sync... Does it matter to get low power mode working where I enable v-sync and where I cap the fps? Will using the MSFS settings do it or are the nVidia CP settings prefered? I'd have to test all this because g-sync works perfectly well with MSFS and I don't want to screw up that smooth performance...

Edited by tup61

21 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Oh, really... bummer... I have an official G-Sync monitor and hence vsync is off. Don't know if I want to turn it on just for this because afaik I will lose the advantage of G-Sync...

EDIT
Just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztIehwt6qd8 and it says you CAN use v-sync with g-sync... Does it matter to get low power mode working where I enable v-sync and where I cap the fps? Will using the MSFS settings do it or are the nVidia CP settings prefered? I'd have to test all this because g-sync works perfectly well with MSFS and I don't want to screw up that smooth performance...

Vsync at the higher end of your hz yes, so 120hz for example and only then do you want vsync to kick in. You don’t want to be using the msfs vsync option’s when using gsync. 

you do NOT want it on below your max refresh  rate, defeats the point of gsync. 

Try locking your frames to 40 or 50 with RTSS and keeping gsync enabled. Best of both worlds. 

ps vsync doesn’t need to be on for a fan curve at all….. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

I haven't done a single flight since December, because Asobo p..... me off when they broke TrackIR and refused to fix it until late January or early February.

By then I had lost interest and the urge to go flying was gone.

But I've kept the sim up to date, and started a free flight after every update to make sure it still works.

I still haven't flown anywhere, but I've loaded up the sim, had a look around with the cameras testing DLSS.
I have set my 3440x1440 G-Sync monitor to 90 Hz because that's where it behaves best.

My 512.15 drivers are from the archives of the Smithsonian, and haven't updated because they work great.

With DX11, DLSS turned on and set to Quality, V-Sync on, full refresh rate, it will keep 90 FPS and butter smooth on panning and looking around. Still looks sharp enough for me, and incredibly smooth.
When I set V-Sync to 50%, which in my case is 45 FPS, it's still okay, but it's a noticeable drop in performance. The funny thing is that on 50%, my GPU just decided to chill. Literally. Temps are down to 50C or so, my fans at only 38% and barely audible. 
It makes me wish they had included an option for 66% refresh rate as well, not only 100%, 50% and 33%. 

Haven't tried DX12 yet. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I also use MSFS vsync at 100% refresh for my 60 hz monitor, but I also set a fps limit to 45 in the graphics driver.  This delivers silky smooth 45 fps performance without any screen tearing, with the added benefit of giving a little relief to both my gcard and cpu.  In the past, this sort of setting resulted in stutters, but not now.  I find running at 45 fps is much nicer looking overall than 30 fps of the 50% lock in MSFS.

Regarding the temperatures of my AMD 5800x and Asus TUF RTX 3080 12GB, they are very cool: around 60°C for the CPU and about 45/50°C for the GPU. The GPU appears to be very "cold", but it is due to the special efficient Asus cooling system. My previous GTX 1080 was at 70/75°C.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

27 minutes ago, tup61 said:

EDIT

I saw a video where an Nvidia tech actually recommended using Vsync in NV control panel on Fast with g-sync. However, I recently got an OLED and g-sync causes flicker at night so I disabled it. I kept v-sync on in NV CP. I have no tearing and as far as I can tell g-sync makes zero difference (other than unwanted flickering on OLED displays). I usually have 40-60FPS. My conclusion is that g-sync is a useless gimmick. I’m willing to be convinced otherwise thorough. 🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I saw a video where an Nvidia tech actually recommended using Vsync in NV control panel on Fast with g-sync. However, I recently got an OLED and g-sync causes flicker at night so I disabled it. I kept v-sync on in NV CP. I have no tearing and as far as I can tell g-sync makes zero difference (other than unwanted flickering on OLED displays). I usually have 40-60FPS. My conclusion is that g-sync is a useless gimmick. I’m willing to be convinced otherwise thorough. 🙂

You need G-Sync ultimate, it’s hardware based and stops the flicker. You are flickering because MSFS has lower frames, so, low frame compensation is kicking in. G-sync ultimate doesn’t have that issue as it goes all the way down to 1hz. G-sync compatible is pretty useless below its minimum which is normally between 40-60 frames/hz depending on your monitor brand. 

1 minute ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You need G-Sync ultimate, it’s hardware based and stops the flicker. You are flickering because MSFS has lower frames, so, low frame compensation is kicking in. G-sync ultimate doesn’t have that issue as it goes all the way down to 1hz. G-sync compatible is pretty useless below its minimum which is normally between 40-60 frames/hz depending on your monitor brand. 

From my research the flickering I had is a well known phenomenon when using g-sync on OLED panels and it has more to do with how OLED pixels are driven at low light levels (dark scenes). I don’t think the LG C1 I have is g-sync ultimate certified but it is good down to very low FPS (I think I read 20Hz). The problem with flicker may be exacerbated by low frame rates, but that’s not the cause. At any rate, turning off G-sync solved the problem and introduced zero other issues leading me to believe g-sync is useless (at least for my situation). 

7 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

LG C1 I have is g-sync ultimate certified but it is good down to very low FPS (I think I read 20Hz).

It’s not and it uses low frame compensation, hence the flickering. C1 is useless with G-sync below 60fps as it has too much variance.

G-sync ultimate monitors do not flicker.

I know because I have a C1 and also an G-Sync ultimate monitor. If you run G-sync on the ultimate monitor it’s Outstanding what it achieves below 40fps for smoothness in MSFS 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1