Sign in to follow this  
ark

Anti-aliasing Choices

How does one choose between FSXX, DLAA and TAA anti-aliasing?  What are the key tradeoffs or pros and cons?

I see that if you set the Render Scaling above 100% ( which I do at 130%), it says that will super sample (SSAA) the rendering. So in that case is the anti-aliasing setting (FSXX, DLAA, or TAA) not used?

Thanks,

Al

You'd have to see what works best for you on your system.  Case in point, for me, 'NVIDIA DLSS/Quality' makes the sim run butter smooth in VR.

Asobo did some good work in VR this time around.  Kudo's to the beta team.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'm not sure how to answer intelligently. But....

My settings

u3Oe4ME.png

----------------------------------------------------

ultra performance

spacer.png

---------------------------------------

performance

spacer.png

--------------------------------------------------

balanced

spacer.png

-------------------------------------------------

quality

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

39 minutes ago, Dillon said:

You'd have to see what works best for you on your system.  Case in point, for me, 'NVIDIA DLSS/Quality' makes the sim run butter smooth in VR.

Asobo did some good work in VR this time around.  Kudo's to the beta team.

OK, thanks.

Al

36 minutes ago, Fielder said:

'm not sure how to answer intelligently. But....

My settings

I also have anti-aliasing on TAA, but wonder if it is being used given my Render Scaling was above 100. I may try dropping that back to 100 and see what happens. I have an older system with a 1070TI GPU so I am using a mixture of High and Ultra graphical settings. I also have FPS locked at 30 and overall performance is smooth. But I also fly mainly GA a/c, no large, complex airliners.

I appreciate you taking the time to post the screen shots -- many thanks!

Al

Edited by ark

I just put AA temporarily to TAA in order to move the Render Scaling bar (on DLSS you can't move it). Then I set the AA to DLSS where I leave it at all times. ultra performance, performance, balanced, quality DLSS is where I fly (never TAA). Almost always on DLSS / Quality and both LODS as 200. With my modest rig I get over 40 fps on the tarmac at KJFK and 55+ in the Swiss mesh, flying down low. The slightly fuzzy gauges in DLSS is of little importance to me. I can still read them OK. (I use 1.0 power reading glasses in front of the computer. 1.0 still magnifies just a tiny bit.  Enough to pretty much snap everything into focus).

EDIT: But I don't fly airliners Fenix and so forth hardly at all. I might switch over to TAA to do that (performance issues).

Edited by Fielder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Fielder said:

Then I set the AA to DLSS where I leave it at all times.

Unfortunately, Al with his 1070 and I, with my 1080, can't use DLSS as we both have GTX cards. 

On my first flights tonight I noticed a big difference with my usual TAA settings.  The text in the cockpit instruments is blurry and difficult to read.  I tried playing with the new AMD sharpness setting but the AA results seem far worse than in SU9.

Regards, Kendall

...and then DLSS 3 will require a 4000 series... etc. etc.

I was able to push my VR DX11 TAA from 90(SU9) to 100 thanks to SU10's performance boost head room..

OpenXR 100 FSR

Oculus 1.3SS

100 TAA

It's a crisp beautiful image in VR and all dials and guages can be read clearly in my Rift S.

Really impressive optimization progress since SU6 for my older 1080ti/8700k combo.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2