Sign in to follow this  
Moron

Current METAR vs new wind gusts in SU10

Metar at local airport:   220152Z 14006KT 10SM CLR 28/12 A3000

MSFS2020 SU10 interpolating this for up to 15kt gusts from 140.  Yay!   I love flying in an alternate universe where the weather is this world has no bearing in the MSFS2020 tangent reality we sim in.    I'm guessing it will always be gusting at the surface now whenever you fly?  

Edited by hobart escin

You do realize that a METAR is a literal snapshot of the weather at one particular moment in time, right?

So 20 minutes later the wind went from 140°@6kt to 140°@6-15kt, and you think that's out of line? I was out on the Bay last weekend on my boat, and it went from dead flat water with a 4 kt breeze to 1-2' chop with 13kt winds in less than 30 minutes.

Lighten up, Francis... 🤨

• Like 5

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Wind can change mate.

• Like 3

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Ummm, no, there is no such thing as a real-time Metar - this is an hourly surface observation at the airport in question.   All sophomoric rhetoric aside though, surface wind gusts appear to have their own logic in the sim irregardless of hourly surface observations.    MSFS2020 seems to inject moderate to strong surface wind gusts at every airport now no matter what.  

• Like 1

I had issues taking off with the 172 tonight from KDPA with gusts up to 27. I'm loving it!

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I agree with both points being made here.

Yes, winds are variable and a difference from 6 to 15 Kts isn't out of the ordinary, nor extreme. 

But, I also concur with the OP's inference that "wind effects" on the AC - just for the sake of wind effects - seems a tad over the top and can makes things rather "arcade-ish"  (especially when Asobo seemingly has a  penchant for doubling/tripling the recipe on some things....).   

• Like 1

Regards, Kendall

16 minutes ago, hobart escin said:

Ummm, no, there is no such thing as a real-time Metar - this is an hourly surface observation at the airport in question.   

It can be! if significant changes in weather happens  METAR can come with SPECI remark at any time

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

14 minutes ago, irocx said:

seems a tad over the top and can makes things rather "arcade-ish"  

If you didn't know - real life is arcadish.LOL I just flew an hour ago. ATIS reported 280 at 7. When we took off we got 5 its tail wind (per wind sock). After we done with maneuvers ATIS reported variable at 7 but when we were landing wind was gusting up to 14kts. Go figure nature va technology LOL

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

If you didn't know - real life is arcadish.LOL I just flew an hour ago. ATIS reported 280 at 7. When we took off we got 5 its tail wind (per wind sock). After we done with maneuvers ATIS reported variable at 7 but when we were landing wind was gusting up to 14kts. Go figure nature va technology LOL

Hi sd_flyer, do you like the new gusts in SU 10? Since you are a CFI, I think your opinion has more weight on this matter, especially for GA planes.  I would like to know what you think of the new gusts in SU 10. Thanks!

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

22 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Hi sd_flyer, do you like the new gusts in SU 10? Since you are a CFI, I think your opinion has more weight on this matter, especially for GA planes.  I would like to know what you think of the new gusts in SU 10. Thanks!

I installed SU 10 in the morning  and loaded couple airplanes, but haven't had a chance to fly much. Will try tomorrow!

P.S.By the way  I hate gusts IRL LOL

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

I installed SU 10 in the morning  and loaded couple airplanes, but haven't had a chance to fly much. Will try tomorrow!

P.S.By the way  I hate gusts IRL LOL

Thanks, I would like to know what you think about the gusts!

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Gusts R Gusty... Dis-Gusting 🙂

Can happen IRL, and in some stations METAR is half-hourly, like in many airports in Europe. And there are SPECI too to account for such and other changes.

It is insufficient to find out if it makes sense just based on the METAR. We should know what the synoptic situation in the area is. Did you check the TAF for a possible variation in wind intensity in the time period you observed those gusts in ?

Overall, I find MFS weather rather consistent with reality, with some exceptions like mountains creating turbulence justifying such "waves", but it was fixed I guess by SU9, and the beta SU10 felt ok to me when flying over mountain ranges at higher cruise levels without any SIGMET affecting the area.

Then in MFS you have yet to count on phenomena like thermals / convection becoming active "out of nothing" like IRL... Again, knowing the exact airfield and meteorological conditions would be required to evaluate the change in wind intensity described in the OP, but as a glider pilot I have witnessed, many time, such "ghost gusts" appearing from "nowhere"...

MFS brought to the MS FS sim what it's users had been claiming / wishing for since ages - active / alive / dynamic like never before weather !

I would love to be testing SU10 final, and that FENIX A320 - the VERY BEST A320 I have tried so far in any desktop flightsim, but I am 100% dedicated to the XP12 beta cycle, so, not even MFS installed (to avoid the temptation...) 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Metar at local airport:   220152Z 14006KT 10SM CLR 28/12 A3000

MSFS2020 SU10 interpolating this for up to 15kt gusts from 140.  Yay!   I love flying in an alternate universe where the weather is this world has no bearing in the MSFS2020 tangent reality we sim in.    I'm guessing it will always be gusting at the surface now whenever you fly?  

Man, can we please please please finally stop this. All this ridiculous demand for METAR injection and live weather being absolutely exactly like reality has already to some extent ruined the live weather how it once was when the sim came out in 2020. The live weather in the sim will never be exactly the same as reality. This is just not possible. MSFS once had a great modeled live weather system. Let's not make that worse and worse by forcing ugly workarounds into the system that are not going to solve the general problem: It's impossible to have a digital representation of live weather in a scale that would be necessary to reflect all the little tiny details that lead to s single METAR report, being a single point in space and time, that by the way in a lot of situations may be completely unrepresentative for the surrounding area.

Having said that, 15kn gusts with a 6kn wind is not unrealistic at all.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bottom Line:  The new surface wind gust feature is borked, period.   MSFS2020 will basically always add at least a 10 kt wind gust at every airport in the sim during usage of live weather, even if winds are reported calm in the current Metar.    To repeat - the surface wind ALWAYS gusts at every airport no matter what.   There is no longer any such thing as calm winds at the surface in MSFS2020 anymore with the release of SU10. 

Coupled with the very unrealistic ground friction in MFS2020, tracking the centerline during takeoff or landing is a thing of the past with the new perpetual wind gusts.   Yay.   Perhaps Asobo can make S shaped runways in future updates that will facilitate centerline tracking?   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hobart escin said:

Bottom Line:  The new surface wind gust feature is borked, period.   MSFS2020 will basically always add at least a 10 kt wind gust at every airport in the sim during usage of live weather, even if winds are reported calm in the current Metar.    

I made couple flights today and not all airport had gusts. May be you should try different locations?

While ground physics in MSFS is not perfect, airplanes (especially light GA) are not glued to runway. I haven't seen a student yet who initially wouldn't struggle to keep centerline on take off (even in perfect conditions). I'm  personally use logitech rudder pedal pro. I adjusted  sensitivity to my liking and manage to avoid  S shape turns. 🙂

I'm going to post here again.  Crosswind + gusts + centerline + ground friction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJzDRsEKDa0

Edited by sd_flyer