Sign in to follow this  
kraszus

[MSFS] AAO randomly stops working

Using AAO with an X-Touch mini. Have it set up just fine with all the knobs and encoder buttons assigned to various Garmin knobs and buttons along with radios. In MSFS, everything works great...for a while. Randomly, AAO stops working! After a minute or two, it might start working again but more often than not, it stops working again after a minute or two. Rotaries and buttons aren't being picked up by AAO. This is across multiple aircraft / templates. Initially I thought it was a problem with the X-Touch, but I don't think this is the case as I can see the rotary leds light up when I move them and when flying X-Plane, X-Keypad does not experience any such interruptions.

Can't say that I've heard that before.

Sounds like SimConnect trouble/flooding. This is next to impossbile to diagnose, especially from afar. 

Try to observe the circumstances when exactly this happens. It may seem random, but it rarely is. 

• Is the connection LED on the main AAO dialog turning yellow or red? AAO will try to recover from a SimConnect crash, and you can see that happening here.
  • What other addons are running at that point in time?
  • Which control were you using when you noticed the pause, and what does it do (Lvar, K-Event, Script)?
  • If it is a rotary encoder, does it make a difference how fast you turn it?
  • Are there error messsages in the AAO log files? (AppData\Local\LORBY_SI\AxisAndOhsMSFS)
    By error messages I mean a massive amount of stack trace information or things like Argument/NullPointer Exceptions. The Exceptions 3/7/32 at the beginning of each logfile are normal.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I'm running FSUIPC with some commands assigned within it but none that are also in AAO. I'll generally first notice when I hit the button assigned to 'NAV' or 'HDG' or when I try to change COM freq via one of the rotaries. Turning the rotary slowly initially doesn't do anything until I spin it a little faster then it will fire the assignment. I haven't noticed the AAO frame colour as it normally lies behind the MSFS screen and I play in VR anyway. I'll post below extracts from the log files from my last session:

22/09/2022 17:14:51.406 : SH: Exception received: 3 from send id 123 errloc 1
22/09/2022 17:14:51.407 : SH: Exception received: 7 from send id 125 errloc 3
22/09/2022 17:34:03.247 : SH: Exception received: 3 from send id 123 errloc 1
22/09/2022 17:34:03.247 : SH: Exception received: 7 from send id 125 errloc 3
22/09/2022 17:34:31.306 : SH: Exception received: 3 from send id 123 errloc 1
22/09/2022 17:34:31.306 : SH: Exception received: 7 from send id 125 errloc 3

And startup log = https://pastebin.com/AVuWrCEv

• As mentioned above, these exception messages are the normal state, nothing to see here.
  • Make sure to put the keyboard and the mouse on the blacklist. "Hardware->Device Blacklist", use the "Ignore" button to move everything to the list on the right that isn't a game controller that you want to use with AAO.
  • Are you using vJoy with AAO? If not, disable it in the Hardware menu and put the virtual joysticks on the blacklist too.
  • I don't know what kind of assets you have assigned to your NAV, HDG or frequency controls, so I can't comment on that.
  • It doesn't matter if FSUIPC is handling a different set of commands, the apps can clash nonetheless. Haven't heard of an instance where they did, but it is theoretically possible that both together are causing the SimConnect flood. But that is only a very remote possibility.

I'm sorry, but none of that reveals anything unusual. As I said earlier, behavior this is almost impossible to diagnose, unless you notice something conclusive. Nobody else has reported anything like this to date, so I don't really know what to tell you other than the generics. Sorry!

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

6 hours ago, kraszus said:

Rotaries and buttons aren't being picked up by AAO.

Are you sure? How do you know that? 

There are always two options for things going wrong

• messages from the MIDI device are not reaching AAO (= trouble in your MIDI setup = the green LEDs on the assignment buttons don't light up when you actuate the MIDI controller)
  • AAO receives the messages but the simulator doesn't react to the assigned commands (=trouble with SimConnect = the main connection LED at the top of the AAO window switches to yellow or even red)
Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

OK. Blacklisted 2 of my 3 vJoy devices and did a flight from EIDL to EGAE. AAO dropped out a couple of times midflight and then seemed to work again. On landingat EGAE, it dropped out again as I tried to use the FMS Rotary. I quickly alt-tabbed to the AAO window and its frame was yellow (normal) and as soon as I tabbed to it, it started to pick up my inputs again.

and its frame was yellow (normal)

What does that mean? What "frame" are you talking about?

In the middle of the top menu bar of AAO there is a green LED that lights up when AAO is connected to the sim via SimConnect. When this connection is compromised, the LED turns yellow and AAO tries to reconnect to the sim. When this fails, the LED turns red.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

dropped out

And what exactly does that mean?

Here are my questions again:

• Are the green LEDs on the button assignments in AAO still lighting up when you press a button or not?
    If they still light up, but nothing happens in the sim, then you have a SimConnect problem. If they don't light up, then you have a MIDI problem.
  • What about other, non-MIDI buttons?
  • What is the state of the main connection - see above.
Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

*    When this happens, the lights don't light up. But a moment later...or sometimes seconds later, they wil again function properly.

*    This same problem affects the joystick buttons in the same way - although FSUIPC assigned buttons continue to work.

*    The main connection remains connected throughout.

Sorry, but I don't have the faintest idea why this should happen to you. Nobody has ever reported anything like it, so I don't have any frame of reference or clue. When did this behavior start? Can you retrace your steps to what happened at that point?

The only thing left to try would be to eliminate the entire AAO database, reset it to factory default and start fresh, testing every single assignment until the problem returns.

Then again it could be a cross compatibility issue with another addon that you have. Or the virus scanner.  Or an incompatible piece of USB hardware. Or an incorrect RPN script. Or the vJoy device that you are using as an input (why?)

I've seen similar things happen with devices that pretended to be game controllers but weren't (USB audio interface) - but you put all devices on the blacklist, except those that you are actually using, right? All Keyboards, Mice, HIDs, vJoys, StreamDecks etc. must be blacklisted, regardless if you are using them in your AAO configuration or not. AAO talks to them through other means. On the left can only be controllers that you are actually using as input devices. 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI