Sign in to follow this  
hvw

Back to DX11

After I made one flight with DX12 enabled I decided to revert to DX11. During this flight, in the latest version of Fenix' A320CEO, I experienced a very dark cockpit interior and instrument panels. I had set my anti-aliasing to Balanced DLSS and, as said, DX12 enabled. After this flight I switched back to DX11 and Balanced DLSS, dragged myself in the Fenix A320 cockpit again and was back to the brightness level I experienced pre-SU10. Everything was clear and visible again in the cockpit. Did any of you experience the same or have I overlooked something to run DX12 successfully and if so, what could it have been? Oh yes, almost forgot to mention, I am also running on the latest NVidia driver 517.40.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Never once was I tempted to try DX12. Too many reported problems. DX11 works great. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Never once was I tempted to try DX12. Too many reported problems. DX11 works great. 

Decided to give it a go after reading all these raving reviews. I am healed now 🙂  

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

The opposite for me. I prefer the colours, extra contrast and vibrancy I get with DX12. And with the latest driver it's smooth as silk. I never thought I would ever see anything like this with my modest system. 

• Like 3

If you are happy with DX11, be happy with DX11. I'm extremely pleased that I can finally experience the vast benefits of DX12 in MSFS and only a bit annoyed that it has taken until late 2022 to be able to do so.

• Like 4

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

DX11, DX12, they are just optional.  Take your pick, have a play, and stick with the one you want. 

It is quite simple and doesn't have to be stressful, but negativity about DX12 is pointless when Asobo have said they are still working on optimising it, and nobody is forced to use it.  

Some people asked for DX12 in the official forums, so they are working on it, and it was put in for people to have a look at it and test it.  No drama's, and it isn't the holy grail if people expect that.

I will say it is worth working towards though, as some titles do see performance increases, added smoothness, and better CPU / GPU load balancing when it is fully implemented properly.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

33 minutes ago, hvw said:

After I made one flight with DX12 enabled I decided to revert to DX11. During this flight, in the latest version of Fenix' A320CEO, I experienced a very dark cockpit interior and instrument panels. I had set my anti-aliasing to Balanced DLSS and, as said, DX12 enabled. After this flight I switched back to DX11 and Balanced DLSS, dragged myself in the Fenix A320 cockpit again and was back to the brightness level I experienced pre-SU10. Everything was clear and visible again in the cockpit. Did any of you experience the same or have I overlooked something to run DX12 successfully and if so, what could it have been? Oh yes, almost forgot to mention, I am also running on the latest NVidia driver 517.40.

Thanks.

Exact same experience, also using 517.40.  I am flying the Hjet and fortunately the model and the tweaked G3000 suite provides a good deal of lighting options in the Hjet itself.  But I also returned to DX11.  DX12 with MSFS does not seem ready for public consumption yet.  Private? Choose what fits! No argument!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

9 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

DX11, DX12, they are just optional.  Take your pick, have a play, and stick with the one you want. 

It is quite simple and doesn't have to be stressful, but negativity about DX12 is pointless when Asobo have said they are still working on optimising it, and nobody is forced to use it.  

Some people asked for DX12 in the official forums, so they are working on it, and it was put in for people to have a look at it and test it.  No drama's, and it isn't the holy grail if people expect that.

I will say it is worth working towards though, as some titles do see performance increases, added smoothness, and better CPU / GPU load balancing when it is fully implemented properly.

I just completed my first flight in SU10 and DX12 with DLSS and all went well. I do notice that things are less bright which is OK. But I was flying in the NE USA and it was cloudy and raining. So, that might be part of what I was seeing. I did notice that the wind effects seem to be more pronounced which will take a bit to get used to.

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

When I loaded into EBBR last night to look for the first time at DX12, it just happened to be golden hour and the lighting with DX12 is stunning, I switched to DX11 and it was brighter. But looked washed out and lacked the wonderfull lighting DX12 brings. It does mess with the screens within the NG and Fenix but the new sharping set to 200 sorts it out enough.

Each to there own, things move on, like I love my new iphone but am not one for staying in the past, "if it ain't broke"....or i would be still using my iPhone 1 as am sure that can make calls and texts just fine.......my old horse and cart still get me to A and B just fine......air con, sat nav etc...nope my horse works just fine...........am still on a 2 year old GPU driver.....thats a lie am on the new studio driver...OMG I love to live on the edge...lol.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I have compared both DX11 and DX12 + DLSS and there was no clear difference for me sadly. 

This may be because I have a 3090 so my game is still CPU bound despite having an Intel 11900k

Therefore the savings that DLSS offers for the graphics side do not really provide any benefit when my GPU is taking MSFS like a walk in the park whilst my CPU is sprinting whilst trying to carry four bags of shopping and hang on to 10 greyhounds at the same time! 😄

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I just completed my first flight in SU10 and DX12 with DLSS and all went well. I do notice that things are less bright which is OK. But I was flying in the NE USA and it was cloudy and raining. So, that might be part of what I was seeing. I did notice that the wind effects seem to be more pronounced which will take a bit to get used to.

Yes Rick, you are right.  They have added a bit more gusting / light turbulence back in.  I noticed that straight away in the beta. 
Whether it is baked in or not, it makes the aircraft feel more alive.  It dies down over the sea, and comes back more over land I notice.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Yes Rick, you are right.  They have added a bit more gusts / light turbulence back in.  I noticed that straight away in the beta. 
Whether it is baked in or not, it make the aircraft feel more alive.  It dies down over the sea, and comes back more over land I notice.

Right - I was in the Cessna 337 and noticed as I waited to take off that the wings were bouncing around a bit from the wind. It will certainly keep me on my toes -which is a good thing!

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

13 minutes ago, chickster25 said:

This may be because I have a 3090 so my game is still CPU bound despite having an Intel 11900k

The 3090 is where you get the most benefit. I repeatedly tested it on the original beta.  The 1% lows were about twice as high as they were on DX11 if you get yourself GPU bound. That’s the difference. Sometimes the total FPS is less or equal. Rarely more. 

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

When I loaded into EBBR last night to look for the first time at DX12, it just happened to be golden hour and the lighting with DX12 is stunning, I switched to DX11 and it was brighter. But looked washed out and lacked the wonderfull lighting DX12 brings. It does mess with the screens within the NG and Fenix but the new sharping set to 200 sorts it out enough.

Each to there own, things move on, like I love my new iphone but am not one for staying in the past, "if it ain't broke"....or i would be still using my iPhone 1 as am sure that can make calls and texts just fine.......my old horse and cart still get me to A and B just fine......air con, sat nav etc...nope my horse works just fine...........am still on a 2 year old GPU driver.....thats a lie am on the new studio driver...OMG I love to live on the edge...lol.

Same here - I like the subdued colors. Before I did a full flight today, I looked at various locations and was very impressed with the sunset in Miami. As you note, so far, it seems less washed out that DX11.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

13 minutes ago, chickster25 said:

The 3090 is where you get the most benefit. I repeatedly tested it on the original beta.  The 1% lows were about twice as high as they were on DX11 if you get yourself GPU bound. That’s the difference. Sometimes the total FPS is less or equal. Rarely more. 

• Upvote 1