Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

DLSS/Nvidia RTX Cards?

6 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

…and very soon RTX3090 owners will be craving for 4090s, DLSS3 and 100+ fps 😉

Yes 😬

1 hour ago, Schorle said:

Using DLSS I get very blurry analog gauges. Is this  known issue?

RTX3090 here. with 516.94 game driver, DX11

None of the DLSS options look any good. Even 'Quality' looks like word not allowed

In PMDG737 one blurry mess, especially the display on glass screens

(in VR with Quest 2 - i never look at my 2D screen but i assume that looks ok, however not interested in that)

So, either I need to wait for the new driver, and try in DX12 with that, or maybe I have missed the point here entirely and DLSS only makes sense for older GFX cards?

Edited by avhpilot

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

Here also very blurry glass screens with RTX2070 and DX11 with all different settings in DLSS. With TAA they are very sharp.

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

I use DLSS quality and the new sharpening option on 200. Looks the best I've ever seen. You need the new drivers. Everything looks sharp. On a 3080 10g. DX12 works great but still has memory issues in really dense airports. Maybe these airports need to be optimised because some work fine. E.g. orbx yssy is fine but orbx ybbn struggles .

Edited by petejohno1
  • Like 1

Here's a clip I made of the 737 using DLSS. Does it compare with what you guys are seeing?

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

19 hours ago, Treetops45 said:

When I try to set DLSS in the Graphics section of MSFS, the side panel says that I need a Nividia RTX card.

Yes. Only cards with RTX cores are capable of that.

More specifically RTX cards have RT cores used for Ray Tracing and Tensor Cores used by DLSS. 

Unfortunately a 10xx card does not have the Tensor Cores needed for DLSS.

I have been using TAA all along, and everything looks great, so I am going to just stick with it rather than changing drivers, and using something else that might not be as good. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 hours ago, petejohno1 said:

I use DLSS quality and the new sharpening option on 200. Looks the best I've ever seen. You need the new drivers. Everything looks sharp. On a 3080 10g. DX12 works great but still has memory issues in really dense airports. Maybe these airports need to be optimised because some work fine. E.g. orbx yssy is fine but orbx ybbn struggles .

Where do I find the new sharpening option your talking about

Thanks

Don

System Intel core I9-10900.Asus prime Z490P motherboard, Corsair 32gb ddr4 dram, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD and 1 TB Seagate Barracuda HD. Zotac GE force RTX 2080 Super  750 Watt power supply, Windows 10 Pro, Honeycomb yoke and Bravo,Thrustmaster pedals

8 hours ago, Schorle said:

Using DLSS I get very blurry analog gauges. Is this  known issue?

It's a known issue (especially the ghosting), they are aware and try to work on it together with NVIDIA. They said they basically want to create some kind of masks around the instruments, so that they're not affected by DLSS. I hope they can achieve it but when I think about it, this sounds like a massive task and no easy problem to solve.

DLSS is a technique that is applied to the whole 3D scene. It works very well with geometry. Glass Instruments, unfortunately, are just basic textures on a 3D object in this scene. The only difference between regular textures and this instrument panel is, the content of the "instrument texture" changes very fast. But I don't see any real possibility to exclude DLSS from single textures in the scene. There's only completely disabling it or live with the shortcomings of this AI feature. Let's see, maybe DLSS 3.0 (I can't really imagine, because it only improves FPS by creating new artificial frames - so normally, this would worsen the problem even more, but we don't know yet) or some kind of magic driver will do the trick.

Normal games are not really affected by these kind of issues because most of the time you won't notice and you don't need this kind of preciseness / clearness on a display like you want to have in a flight simulation environment. It's the same with MSFS, in a wing / outside view, you won't encounter issues like this. But in the cockpit it becomes apparent.

@Treetops45 (and anybody else with this problem like me)

For the moment, if your computer can handle it, I recommend to disable DLSS and go back to TAA with sharpening. My sim performance in SU10 increased regardless of the implementation of DLSS and the older AA option work just fine for me. I know there are people who are not that bothered by this "instrument ghosting" effect and that's fine. Personally for me it makes instrument flying unusable and I'm glad I can just use the sim without DLSS to avoid this.

P.S.: Just to avoid confusions - this issue still exists with the newest Studio Driver (517.40)

Edited by roesti
  • Like 3

On 9/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, ricka47 said:

There will always be something to crave I fear. I remembered when I craved that 486DX2 running at 66 mHz with its massive 8 MB of RAM and a 420 MB HDD!

Craving? Did I hear that word 'crave'? Did someone say craving?? 😁

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

4 hours ago, roesti said:

@Treetops45 (and anybody else with this problem like me)

For the moment, if your computer can handle it, I recommend to disable DLSS and go back to TAA with sharpening.

Could you elaborate on 'sharpening" please?

Is it a setting in the  MSFS Graphics section?

Also, do you run Vsync, On or Off?

I have found running my old Med/High settings, DX11 & TAA post SU10, in the cockpit I need to put my nose on the instruments [analog & digital], to see the words/digits clearly. [ie, move the view a lot closer to the instrument panel. View backed off, the words/digits are blurry.]

T45

36 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Could you elaborate on 'sharpening" please?

If you use TAA, there should be a slider near there named "AMD FidelityFX Sharpening" (don't be confused of the "AMD", it works on NVIDIA cards too). So yes, it's an MSFS graphics setting. On my system, I've set it to 140. What it does is applying a sharpening filter on your image, making a blurry image more clear. But it's no magic and doesn't really increase resolution. If you increase it too much, it might look worse again and "too sharp". But it doesn't eat up much performance.

The best possible AA settings is actually disable AA completely and pull up this "Render Scaling" Slider. What it does is rendering the picture at a higher resolution than your screen. For example, a setting of 120 will increase your resolution by 1.2X - the image then gets downscaled to your native resolution again, but the edges will be smoothed out really well without appearing blurry at all. This is called "downsampling" and the highest quality you can possibly get. Bu be aware: Increasing this setting is very demanding and challenges your GPU. I use render-scaling at 120% at a resultion of 1440p (+TAA). But I have to say, my hardware setup is probably above average and being able to handle fine with many settings on Ultra.

On a more common / medium build I'd recommend to just use TAA + Sharpening.

36 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

Also, do you run Vsync, On or Off?

Nope, I use G-Sync. This is something your monitor and GPU needs to support. What it does is synchronizing the monitors refresh rate (Hz) to your FPS dynamically all the time which gives basically the same experience like V-Sync, but it doesn't matter if you get 80fps or 35, it more or less stays really smooth all time. If you don't have this option, turning on V-Sync is recommended. Be aware that you should choose your settings in a way so that you can easily achieve the desired frame rate. So with a 60Hz Monitor its 60FPS you want to aim for. If your computer can't achieve this FPS, V-Sync halves the FPS and it's suddenly not a good experience (worse smoothness / stuttering).

For smoothness, one of those "Sync" technology should be enabled, it really helps. Some people even set their monitors to 30Hz and lock their FPS at 30 with V-Sync. For me personally, that's too low but many people have great experiences with this approach.

Edited by roesti
  • Like 1

I get no performance boost whatsoever with DLSS, only blurry displays, so what's the point?

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |