Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

TAA v DLSS Quality DX12

7 hours ago, DModjo said:

if you have the GPU horsepower, DLSS Quality + 2x Secondary Scaling in UserCFG looks better than TAA. 

<in VR> this is true.  perf hit is quite high at dlss=quality. taking it down to =ultraperf still gives decent txt.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

GTX 3060 here, and last studio driver.-  I switched to DX12 and my experience is:

With DLSS noticed some FPS and smoothness improvement but at the cost of blurred images.- 

Noticed a dramatic increase at VRam use  ( 11Gb of 12 Gb total)

Activated DSR at NCP at 1,78x and selected 50% smoothness

Switched from native 1080p to 1620p

That dramatically improved image sharpness equaling TAA with better FPS performance, but at the cost of more stuttering when panning.

I tried playing with DSR 1,78x and 2,25x and diferent smoothness rates but found no improvement.

So I returned to TAA which I found being a better compromise between sharp images, FPS and less stuttering 

Waiting to the Ready Game Driver to see if it gets us some improvement.

• Upvote 1

I've tried a few tweaks and think I have settled on one solution similar to what solito has above.

TAA and DLAA have both given me a shimmer effect on the edges of lines of objects which was particularly noticeable on the gates at airports and the edges of buildings. This is still the case in SU10.

With DLSS I noticed this judder is gone and looks very smooth but at the expense of some blurring, especially text.

Increasing secondary scaling to 2x via config setting tweak improved this a lot but the menus had some graphical anomalies that I don't think I could live with.

I enabled DSR in NCP and tried a few scaling settings. I am not noticing additional stuttering but will have to try a few flights out. Image quality is close to TAA, text may be a slight bit blurry comparatively but basically acceptable. Performance also seems about the same as with TAA.

Edited by JasonPC

I don't have any time to extensively benchmark this but from what I have seen the DLSS blurred display text is enough for me to leave in TAA.  My fading eyesight can't be bothered dealing with it. DX11 or 12 seems little to no difference for me.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Not on DX12. This is with DX11 and Renderscale 200 on a 308012GB at 2560x1440. Defenite blurring of the entire cockpit with DLSS.

With TAA:

abe72e6da11b35930c4f2998888516b221b14322

With DLSS:

0f1c033b5c7762ee0f9c44a12c594f7e02eec9fe

James

Yeah still noticed some blurring that I did not like with DLSS and DSR. 

If I use TAA and DSR it seems to minimize the shimmering but it’s tougher on performance.

On 9/22/2022 at 4:21 PM, cianpars said:

Have tried both of the above settings in DX11 and DX12 (with the new Nvidia studio driver) and have hardly noticed any difference in FPS or smoothness.  TAA looks better for picture quality though.

What have your experiences been?

I'm using the latest Nvidia studio driver with DX12 (Beta) and TAA. I was using DLSS but the blurred glass cockpit views are difficult to read so sticking to TAA for now. Performance FPS stays at 60fps with an occasional brief "stutter" just before landing (as others have noted). I think this is a game bug not a PC issue. Overall I'm happy with the current studio driver and TAA.

• Like 1

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I run 9th-gen Intel i9 with an Nvidia 3080. I have three 1080p monitors, and ran Nvidia surround before SU10. With SU 10 and the updated Nvidia Studio Driver, I switched to multi-screen mode (using my 3 screens). I've tried DX11 with TAA and DLSS and then DX12 with TAA and DLSS (which makes 4 different combinations). All of them were mostly within 1 or 2 fps of one another. So, not really any difference. I was CPU-limited and I remain CPU-limited. Bottom line is that SU10 hasn't done much for me in terms of fps. 

Edited by andradef
Added comment about Nvidia Studio Driver

Switched to DX12 and will test out DLSS on my 3070. So far with DX11 there is no gain in frames with TAA or any DLSS setting. This is with the latest game ready drivers and just now updated to the latest studio divers. 

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

On 9/25/2022 at 1:10 AM, jarmstro said:

What is Secondary Scaling?

It scales everything up by 2 and then downsamples it to your monitor (like 2x Supersampling). The result is a sharper output with much less pixilation and smoother curves.

On a 4K monitor and 3080Ti, I set primary scaling at 0.7 and then secondary scaling at 2.0. The result is very smooth and sharp anti-aliasing effect.

Adding some sharpening filters improves the quality further. It's not for everyone but the sim only looks good to my eyes using the above method. 

I tried DLSS, didn't like the blurriness so switched back.

Then i gave it another go to check performance. Now for me its easy to tell as i don't run 'prefer max performance' in nvidia CT.

I run optimal performance, so in areas light on trees I can see using MSI that my GPU is clocking to 1200 mhz and goes up to 1740mhz (undervolted aswell) in areas of trees and if heavy clouds.

All locked at 30fps ULTRA everywhere bar the pointless ones.

So with DLSS 'on' its 1200 mhz pretty much everywhere regardless of trees and clouds. GPU using 35-45 percent of its grunt.

Very low temps GPU and CPU which is also undervolted. GPU at about 50 degs and CPU at 50 degs.

All i did regards the blur is to put sharpening at between 10 to 20 percent in nvida control panel.

Sorted. Looks about the same but using far less from my GPU.

OK all this is at 1080p but i don't believe in over using the GPU if it doesn't need it.

So for me at least DLSS stays, as its giving good results visually but barely asking anything from my GPU which is already undervolted.

Now even in heavy clouds and cities it might push it to 1500 mhz but most other places its at 1200mhz and thanking me with low temps.... happy.

So my tip if using DLSS, nvidia sharpening at 10-20 percent.

Edited by flightyjoe
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5 3600 / RTX 2070 8GB / 2x8 RAM/

2 minutes ago, flightyjoe said:

and thanking me with low temps.... happy.

Why? They’re designed to run hot. Get as much performance out of them as possible I say, that’s what you’re paying for! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Why? They’re designed to run hot. Get as much performance out of them as possible I say, that’s what you’re paying for! 

Hot and loud.  No thanks.

sp

• Upvote 1

It would be interesting to see specs for everyone.

I'm not sure what is wrong with my system.  After extensive testing.  DLSS QUALITY and DX 12 nets me the worst performance.  I'm 5-10 FPS  higher in TAA DX11 than any other combination of modes.  I have decided not to mess with the NVidia Control Panel.  I have left it at Quality because I'd rather lose frames to a certian extent.

i7-9700KF, 32GB, MSI RTX2070S,  2TB NvME SSD, 300MBs down 50 MB/s up cable over wifi.

2560X1080,  RS100, Vsync ON, 60FPS, TLOD 100, ULTRA/high everything else.

With AIG at 66% im getting about 40-44 fps at FlyTampa Vegas.  If I go to DLSS-Qual and DX12 it drops to 30-36FPS.  

I thought DLSS would be a game changer, but it hasn't been for me.  Maybe the new Nvidia driver will help?

On my 2x 4K display as ones wide frontview I can clearly see that TAA is sharper than DLSS. This is with a 3090 gpu.

Difference in framerate is 38 (TAA) vs 46 (DLSS). Everything Ultra except clouds on High (looks better).

Full of Luve Traffic at Amsterdam Schiphol and full of clouds.

TLOD 180

Objects LOD 170

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0