Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

SU 10 live weather clouds are amazing!

I just want to say, the clouds in SU 10 live weather are the best clouds yet. They are absolutely amazing!  From what I understand, all the clouds types were always there in MSFS, but only if you used pre-set weather - people complained that the clouds types were lost, but they were actually there in pre-set weather, just not live weather.  But in SU 7 when Asobo integrated METAR with live weather, that was when most of the cloud types were lost in live weather, leading to mostly cumulus clouds in SU 7.  Gradually, Asobo has been adding back the cloud types in successive Sim Updates, culminating with SU 10, which is the best version of live weather yet with the most variation of clouds. FYI, I am a strong proponent of integrating METAR with live weather, because this is what VATSIM and IVAO and Pilot Edge users of MSFS need, despite some people that are against METAR integration with live weather.

I really like the direction that Asobo is going. I think if they keep at it, MSFS will eventually have the ultimate live weather for any flight simulator. Now I can kind of see why the Asobo doesn't want to waste time opening up the SDK further for Active Sky, Rex, etc.  And after seeing what SU 10 can do, I kind of agree with Asobo - I would rather the weather team at Asobo focus on making live weather better, than wasting time on opening up the SDK for Activey Sky, Rex, etc.  There is still some work ahead, as Asobo needs to keep adding back the remaining cloud types to live weather. And once Asobo adds back all the cloud types to live weather, they need to think about new cloud types that the MSFS engine is incapable of rendering (even in pre-set weather), and how to add these cloud types to live weather.  

But I like what I am seeing in all the Sim Updates, up to SU 10.  I leave this nice video I saw on Reddit as a demonstration of what SU 10 is capable of for live weather clouds:

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 19

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

i agree there, while i am on the xbox, clouds today looked fantastic, over the uk i flew, and smooth , not one lil hitch.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree on this, I'm really impressed!

Didn't know SU10 brings improved weather in the first place but had to google it after I departed for my first flight after SU10 as weather looked so much better!

Had to make sure I'm not dreaming 😄😄

Edited by Konterhalbe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wim123 said:

i agree there, while i am on the xbox, clouds today looked fantastic, over the uk i flew, and smooth , not one lil hitch.

Nice! Good to hear the clouds are also looking good on Xbox!

@abrams_tank Yes, major jump in clouds realism! The difference just popped right out when flying with SU10 for the first time. So good, I redid a few seconds of the departure in the vid I’m finishing off!

• Like 1

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

i agree, love the new clouds👍i hated the old volcanic crappy looking clouds, haven't seen any yet and i hope i don't.

• Like 3

Clouds have improved massively on my rig as well, and MSFS is performing as smooth as ever.

Currently flying out of Armenia admiring the clouds and beautiful mountain photo scenery (everything is default, no addon apart from the MD82). Flight simming has never been this good. 

Asobo has done a good move postponing SU's to fix any issues, rather than release a buggy mess on schedule as they did in the past.  

Edited by Ikarus280
  • Like 4

That video is amazing, and the music is half decent too. Dash Berlin with flightsim. Never would have thought it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Doering said:

@abrams_tank Yes, major jump in clouds realism! The difference just popped right out when flying with SU10 for the first time. So good, I redid a few seconds of the departure in the vid I’m finishing off!

Please post your SU 10 cloud video in this thread when you finish it! Thanks!

• Like 1

While I agree the clouds have improved in SU10, they are still missing most of the major cloud types.

High clouds Cirrus
  Cirrostratus
  Cirrocumulus
Middle clouds Altostratus
  Altocumulus
Low clouds Stratus
  Stratocumulus
  Nimbostratus
Clouds with vertical development Cumulus
  Cumulonimbus

Most clouds are based on cumulus clouds in the sim or haze/fog type of implentation. 

For example: Altostratus are missing, at least I haven't seen them after SU10. I am happy to be proven wrong.

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

The r/flightsim is still a garbage place though...

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

1 hour ago, Silicus said:

While I agree the clouds have improved in SU10, they are still missing most of the major cloud types.

Ditto, better than before, but still missing a lot, still defaulting to steamy puffs too often (even at low altitude which they said was fixed in SU10), and overall still usually not as convincing as what we had pre-SU5.

Having said that, if I was coming to MSFS fresh from last-gen sims, I’d still think they were the best thing since sliced bread, so I guess we should always remember how far we’ve come!

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

The r/flightsim is still a garbage place though...

Shame you think so. They speak so highly of Avsim over there😅

• Like 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Placebo, Seb himself said no changes have been made to the clouds since SU7. Cloud layers in SU10 have been improved, but nothing has changed with the cloud structures or types. I thought the same when I started testing SU10 but eventually it sank it that they were the same old clouds.

Edited by KERNEL32
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Silicus said:

High clouds Cirrus
  Cirrostratus
  Cirrocumulus
Middle clouds Altostratus
  Altocumulus
Low clouds Stratus
  Stratocumulus
  Nimbostratus
Clouds with vertical development Cumulus
  Cumulonimbus

Most clouds are based on cumulus clouds in the sim or haze/fog type of implentation. 

For example: Altostratus are missing, at least I haven't seen them after SU10. I am happy to be proven wrong.

spacer.png

Doubt you will see anything even close to resemble this in the next 30 years in a flight sim. I would love to be proven wrong though.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 2