Sign in to follow this  
sunny_in_the_sky

Chaseplane cameras for MSFS, when?

3 hours ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

I see all the beautiful screenshots of MSFS, and would like to switch over from P3D, but their cameras are just so hacky. For example, there doesn't seem to be a clear way to toggle between cockpit and external cameras. Others have also had the same confusion. The following shortcut does not work:

spacer.png

What is everyone using as a camera solution? I thought Chaseplane did an amazing job with P3D, and cannot wait for their MSFS version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vUZL-QG4V8&t=940s

been using  this  method from  day one  when i moved  to msfs  its  abit  like  chase  plane in p3d  etc

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have zero trouble switching back and forth between cockpit and exterior views. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out a couple years ago.

Here's what does not work as in the OP complaint, trying to assign a toggle key for view modes

COCKPIT/EXTERNAL VIEW MODE

------------------------------

Here's what works perfectly: Assigning these 2 commands to two different keyboard keys or controller buttons: 

TOGGLE COCKPIT VIEW: this will put you into cockpit view. 

COCKPIT/EXTERNAL VIEW MODE: this will put you into external view.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Because I use a Warthog stick instead of a yoke I  assign the top command to the 5 button (the index finger button). I assign the bottom command to the 4 + 5 buttons (the trigger and the index finger button).

So if squeeze the trigger and flick the index finger button I'm in external view. But if I just flick the index finger button, then I'm in cockpit view.

spacer.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, Fielder said:

TOGGLE COCKPIT VIEW: this will put you into cockpit view. 

COCKPIT/EXTERNAL VIEW MODE: this will put you into external view.

Yup, this was it! It's weird how they placed the option to switch to cockpit, under a different category than the one to switch to external, when there is a category that has the word switch in it. 🤦‍♂️ If Cockpit, Drone, External and Fixed are camera states, there should be an independent option under switch or cameras in general to switch or cycle between all of them.

I'll just have to get used to the new system, but I do believe that an addon like Chaseplane can make life easier. Each view is nice and cleanly categorized, in a compact manner, and you can right click any view and assign a key or button.

spacer.png

Either way, thanks for the help!

• Like 1

I find it funny how some can fly a complex airliner but then struggle with a camera system.

• Like 1

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

What's really missing is Replay functionality, Tower Camera Views, and Landing Spot Views (or landing replays).

It's pretty tedious having to get out of the plane to mark a camera position, or even sometimes letting the AP land for you so you can get the shot correctly. There are addons, but none are sufficient yet.

• Like 2

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 hour ago, garlicbread11 said:

I find it funny how some can fly a complex airliner but then struggle with a camera system.

the weird weird and remarkable world of flightsimmers..its easier to put the blame elsewhere, i guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garlicbread11 said:

23 minutes ago, wim123 said:

the weird weird and remarkable world of flightsimmers..its easier to put the blame elsewhere, i guess.

It's funny that you both think this is a good camera system. Guess you just haven't experienced any better. Your loss, really. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

What's really missing is Replay functionality, Tower Camera Views, and Landing Spot Views (or landing replays).

It's pretty tedious having to get out of the plane to mark a camera position, or even sometimes letting the AP land for you so you can get the shot correctly. There are addons, but none are sufficient yet.

That and so much more! I was trying to look around in wing view just now, after using one of the fixed camera options. It does not let you look around once you are in that fixed view. You can only look around in the generic external view. So limiting.

Don't get me wrong, the views are beautiful.

3 minutes ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

It's funny that you both think this is a good camera system. Guess you just haven't experienced any better. Your loss, really. 🤷‍♂️

At no point did either of us say it was good, it is but we didn’t say that. I had ezdok and chaseplane, can adapt quite easily. Get on just fine with the MSFS camera system. Guess you can’t learn it. Your loss, really. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Upvote 2

Paul

BeQuiet Pure Base 500 FX - MSI Mag Tomahawk B760 - i5 13600k @ 5.1ghz - 32GB RAM - RTX 3060 12GB  -  32f (31.5" ) Full HD Monitor - TCA Officer Pack - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke -  Logitech Multi Panel

Just now, garlicbread11 said:

At no point did either of us say it was good, it is but we didn’t say that. I had ezdok and chaseplane, can adapt quite easily. Get on just fine with the MSFS camera system. Guess you can’t learn it. Your loss, really. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The point of the thread was to ask for suggestion on camera solutions, whereas you are just trolling because you want to defend a poorly designed camera. You are probably the type of person to also think that asbestos in housing is not a big deal, and would adapt to that as well, lol.

4 hours ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

Yup, this was it! It's weird how they placed the option to switch to cockpit, under a different category than the one to switch to external, when there is a category that has the word switch in it. 🤦‍♂️ If Cockpit, Drone, External and Fixed are camera states, there should be an independent option under switch or cameras in general to switch or cycle between all of them.

I'll just have to get used to the new system, but I do believe that an addon like Chaseplane can make life easier.

The organization and naming which Asobo gave to some of their programmable DX commands is contrary to all logic. Just as you said.

I had to use trial and error on all those that sounded remotely applicable to find a scheme that worked. 

I feel like sitting down at the piano and singing not unlike Archie Bunker, "Mister we could use an application like Chaseplane again..."

The legacy 6DOF camera position and control methods in SimConnect have not only been non-functional since the Alpha, they have been removed from the SDK documentation a few MSFS versions ago.

So at the moment there is nothing left to fix, like the voting thread suggests. Asobo would have to implement something new. Which seems to be quite the challenge or they would have done it by now. My best guess is that their camera module just doesn't support external 6DOF control (or can't be made to with a reasonable amount of work).

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI

11 hours ago, sunny_in_the_sky said:

I see all the beautiful screenshots of MSFS, and would like to switch over from P3D, but their cameras are just so hacky. For example, there doesn't seem to be a clear way to toggle between cockpit and external cameras.

I don't find the MSFS camera system  hacky at all. It's dead simple, once you understand a few basics. Moving from internal to external view is also easy.

The drone camera is also very powerful, but a bit more complicated - best to print out a cheat sheet with the relevant keyboard shortcuts.

Edited by Ricardo41

How I miss the faithful, accessible and functional S & A keys from previous MS games. Why couldn't they just continue with that?

MSFS has the most clunky implementation of an in-game camera I have ever seen. I also hate the fisheye of the drone, will need to look into disabling that if possible.