Sign in to follow this  
blingthinger

Ortho Creator has returned!

Well this is definitely good news.

It would be good if the program was modded to just generate the Ortho and not the Mesh also. Or at least have an option to do so.

I never understood why you can use Ortho4xp and point to the mesh (ie HD Mesh v3) but then it generates the tiles including the mesh. The resulting download is massive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baber20 said:

That is great news ! Whats going to happen to my already downloaded orthos ? Hopefully there is a way to update them.

Sounds like just the masks may have to be updated, not the actual tiles.  Good news it is being further developed!

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

5 hours ago, Greazer said:

It would be good if the program was modded to just generate the Ortho and not the Mesh also. Or at least have an option to do so.

You can't.... the mesh and ortho are the same thing and can't be seperated.

I think you're confusing mesh with the overlay (roads and autogen) which isn't the same thing

5 hours ago, Baber20 said:

That is great news ! Whats going to happen to my already downloaded orthos ? Hopefully there is a way to update them.

You should be able to point the updated tool at the ortho folder and it will regenerate the mesh (but it won't redownload all the orthos)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

You can't.... the mesh and ortho are the same thing and can't be seperated.

I think you're confusing mesh with the overlay (roads and autogen) which isn't the same thing

Isn't it possible to use overlay textures in XP? That way, it would be possible to code an add-on that would stream satellite scenery on the fly, just like that MSFS mod that allows streaming Google maps satellite scenery instead of the default Bing maps.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

14 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Isn't it possible to use overlay textures in XP? That way, it would be possible to code an add-on that would stream satellite scenery on the fly, just like that MSFS mod that allows streaming Google maps satellite scenery instead of the default Bing maps.

Yep it is, but it's horrendously slow over anything but small areas and not recommended, so very few do it

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Murmur said:

That way, it would be possible to code an add-on that would stream satellite scenery on the fly

Unless you are simming on a phone or a chromebook with limited storage, what possible benefit could there be of streaming satellite scenery on the fly? Its still going to take as long to download before or during, but if you do it during there is a high probability of flying with absolutely #@##!# scenery.

AutoATC Developer

11 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Unless you are simming on a phone or a chromebook with limited storage, what possible benefit could there be of streaming satellite scenery on the fly? Its still going to take as long to download before or during, but if you do it during there is a high probability of flying with absolutely #@##!# scenery.

MSFS doesn't take long to download streaming scenery the first time it's loaded.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Just now, Murmur said:

MSFS doesn't take long to download streaming scenery the first time it's loaded.

That the disadvantage isn't quite a severe as I imagine, isn't an advantage/benefit

AutoATC Developer

I'm happy he's back.  I'll probably do a few tiles for my local area but I certainly haven't missed having massive amounts of GB's of tiles.  Or TB's if you download the high res stuff.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

On 9/23/2022 at 2:30 PM, Greazer said:

Well this is definitely good news.

I never understood why you can use Ortho4xp and point to the mesh (ie HD Mesh v3) but then it generates the tiles including the mesh. The resulting download is massive.

This is why because the entire advantage of a program like ortho4xp is you can create FAR more detailed than any sim ive ever seen.

The ability to crank up the detail in the mesh is KEY to realistic mountain scenery avoiding the rounded edges seen in lower res mesh like in standard xp,P#D and msfs.

spacer.png

Storage is cheap

Darren Howie