Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

SU10 all cockpits way too dark

Is it a function of the new lighting model in SU10 (or maybe that "eye adaptation" now works differently), but nearly all my cockpits are now ridiculously dark. Some are almost impossible to operate - even at mid-day in clear skies.

Is there a workaround or fix for this?

I can bump up the shadows with Reshade, but that will also affect the scenery (which is fine).

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Following.  I have said from the start that the eye adaptation lighting is the single worst part of this sim, look down at gauges the scene out the window bleaches out terribly, look up and the gauges are too dark.  Let me decide on what works for me, not the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

1 minute ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Following.  I have said from the start that the eye adaptation lighting is the single worst part of this sim, look down at gauges the scene out the window bleaches out terribly, look up and the gauges are too dark.  Let me decide on what works for me, not the sim.

Yep I totally agree with this

• Upvote 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

23 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Is it a function of the new lighting model in SU10 (or maybe that "eye adaptation" now works differently), but nearly all my cockpits are now ridiculously dark. Some are almost impossible to operate - even at mid-day in clear skies.

I can bump up the shadows with Reshade, but that will also affect the scenery (which is fine).

DX11 or 12?

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Isn’t there an entry in the usercfg.opt file to turn auto eye adaptive lighting off?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

if you are using reshade and or HDR, try switching them off one at a time or both and see what effect you get, it could be just a customization issue at your end, mine looks fine to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Isn’t there an entry in the usercfg.opt file to turn auto eye adaptive lighting off?

Yes - I think it's PostProcess/EyeAdaptation .. but I've tried 0 and 1 and neither makes any difference.

2 hours ago, penta_a said:

if you are using reshade and or HDR, try switching them off one at a time or both and see what effect you get, it could be just a customization issue at your end, mine looks fine to me.

I'm talking about default (ie. without Reshade) ... and I can't use HDR anyway (not an HDR compatible monitor). As I said - I'm using Reshade to lighten up the shadows, but it's affecting the scenery as well.

35 minutes ago, wim123 said:

weird this, me on the xbox , it has become def better here.

Thanks - but I'm talking about PC/MS Store, DX11 and DX12 (dark in both).

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Cessna Longitude - Screens are way too dark. I can adjust the captain's screen to lighten it up.

But the centre screen and the copilot's screen remain difficult to see. 

• Like 1

It was bad before, now it's even worse.  In taking off and looking through the windscreen , I need to see the speed tape to know when to rotate.  I can not even see it.

Have to go to external view to see the gauges, but that's not very realistic.  Turned all the knobs to fully bright but that doesn't help.

Need a fix.

Roy

10 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Same here, it's a kinda PITA. What I am doing to "circumnavigate" this issue is to undock the most, for me, important instrument panels and drag them over to my secondary display. I am only flying the Fenix A320 and FBW's A320. Undocking the PFD, ND and Upper-ECAM helps me a lot in overcoming the ridiculous dark cockpits. I know, it's not a solution to the problem, but at least it's a work-around. Hope this will work for you, too.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Totally agree with the OP's assertion. I used the Nvidia Control Panel to tweak the screen brightness, contrast and gamma.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

But doesn't that affect scenery as well?

Later: Just found out that dropping the visor will give us a light cockpit, but you won't see much of the scenery. 🙂 

Edited by hvw
  • Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)