Sign in to follow this  
akaTiggers

Easy long haul for a kid?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and new to MSFS 2020. This is a project I am doing with the kids (11 year old twins). Given how comprehensive and realistic MSFS is, it is surprising how approachable it is to just learn to fly, once you get a joystick and cheat sheet so you remember where all the main controls are.

My question is whether anyone has seen a cheat sheet for how to fly a long-haul flight and actually get where you are going 🤣... without going through an entire 5-year pilot training program I mean. I seem to recall from years ago waypoints were involved but I imagine these days it's about punching something into a GPS. For some reason my son wants to take off, go to bed and see how close he is (SYD->LAX) in the morning. 748 (until the much-anticipated A380 is available). 

Has anyone seen a "basics" guide - MSFS seems to be quite forgiving, so I was hoping we could build up on instruments and controls as we practice.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't just go direct.  I'm not sure how good the Boeing FMS is though in the sim.  Maybe others will know and answer.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Why SYD to LAX though? they won't see anything but water.

Edited by jbdbow1970

5 hours ago, akaTiggers said:

My question is whether anyone has seen a cheat sheet for how to fly a long-haul flight and actually get where you are going 🤣

I don't have a cheat sheet, but I can give you a good scenario that will assist you with teaching as you go. More of a lesson plan I guess. Shoot me a private message.

Rick

Another way which we all do, is go on YouTube and search MSFS2020 and you can find tons of videos that you can learn from.  The kids will enjoy them too.

Glad to see you are doing this.  I teaching my 6 year old great grand kid.

Roy