Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Better AA with better performance.

Waiting for LR to improve AA quality, I found the following method.

It works best if you are using an FSR setting other than "Off" (i.e. if your FSR slider is NOT full right). 

In this case, set your FSR to "Off" (slider full right), and set AA to "FXAA". You should get better image clarity with better performance.

I made a comparison in the following images. Note in particular the clarity of aircraft gauges, the yellow runway line and the trees in the cockpit image. And the tail leading edge and aircraft shadow in the external image.

EDIT: Of course you should watch the images back to back in full resolution to better appreciate the difference.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 5

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

10-15% or so?  I'll give it a try.  My FPS are the worst in and near clouds.  This is where we really need improvements.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

11 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

10-15% or so?  I'll give it a try.  My FPS are the worst in and near clouds.  This is where we really need improvements.

If your bottleneck is the GPU (likely if it happens near clouds at high resolutions and AA levels), this could possibly help. I just tried on my PC where the GPU is definitely the bottleneck, so your mileage may vary.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

37 minutes ago, Murmur said:

If your bottleneck is the GPU (likely if it happens near clouds at high resolutions and AA levels), this could possibly help. I just tried on my PC where the GPU is definitely the bottleneck, so your mileage may vary.

It's a sad day when my mighty GTX 1080 Ti is the bottleneck but I think it's really showing its age here in XP12.  I've got a 12700K and 32GB ddr5 ram so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

It's a sad day when my mighty GTX 1080 Ti is the bottleneck but I think it's really showing its age here in XP12.  I've got a 12700K and 32GB ddr5 ram so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

The 1080s were mighty cards (I just had vanilla, but still one of my best value purchases ever, maybe even comparable to the i5 2500K for value), but with your other hardware it seems you must accept that at last, it’s a party-pooper.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

38 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

The 1080s were mighty cards (I just had vanilla, but still one of my best value purchases ever, maybe even comparable to the i5 2500K for value), but with your other hardware it seems you must accept that at last, it’s a party-pooper.

The Ti has been excellent in MSFS.  But you're right it's not balanced with my system.  I didn't want to spend the crazy amount of money during covid for a 30xx card.  So I'm waiting for the 4080 (and will spend a crazy amount on that lmao)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Indeed Murmur, and that exactly what I've been using since your earlier ( soon after XP12 launch ) hint about using FSR full right for non-4k users, which is my case 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

It works best if you are using an FSR setting other than "Off" (i.e. if your FSR slider is NOT full right). 

In this case, set your FSR to "Off" (slider full right), and set AA to "FXAA". You should get better image clarity with better performance.

Excuse me if I'm being dumb, but the first sentence says it works best if FSR isn't 'off', but the second sentence says to set FSR to 'off'.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

16 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Excuse me if I'm being dumb, but the first sentence says it works best if FSR isn't 'off', but the second sentence says to set FSR to 'off'.

Correct. If you're presently not using FSR "Off" and are using some AA other than "FXAA", you can get better results (both in image quality and performance) if you set FSR "Off" and use "FXAA".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

The Ti has been excellent in MSFS.  But you're right it's not balanced with my system.  I didn't want to spend the crazy amount of money during covid for a 30xx card.  So I'm waiting for the 4080 (and will spend a crazy amount on that lmao)

You're right Ryan, and it's a real shame that video cards now cost as much, if not more, than an entire system. By the looks of it, they do not intend on backing off their astronomical pricing scheme either.

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Correct. If you're presently not using FSR "Off" and are using some AA other than "FXAA", you can get better results (both in image quality and performance) if you set FSR "Off" and use "FXAA".

Thanks, I read your post a few times and didn't want to ask the question for fear of being dumb, but I just couldn't get it 😊🤭

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

if FXAA is a better form of AA than your MSAA is not working right. FXAA had a Vaseline blurryness effect to the image. MSAA is also a 10 years old technology. We need some actual modern AA for this sim :  TAA+FSR 2.1. What we have right now is not sufficient. 

• Like 3

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Whatever you set in the sim - AA is not sufficient. For me at least, it's a show stopper for now.

• Like 1

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

if FXAA is a better form of AA than your MSAA is not working right. FXAA had a Vaseline blurryness effect to the image. MSAA is also a 10 years old technology. We need some actual modern AA for this sim :  TAA+FSR 2.1. What we have right now is not sufficient. 

Agree, but it's not that FXAA is better than MSAA. What is happening is that MSAA at a lower original res (FSR active) produces worse results (and performance) than FXAA at a higher original res. It's mostly FSR the culprit of bad results.

With FXAA and no FSR I get good image quality (for me), but I understand that most people are looking for better AA, hopefully it will come.

Yes, normally FXAA is worse but weirdly enough I also found it to be better than MSAA in this release, for some reason or at least very much on par. Don't find it applies the usual vaseline blur either. 

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB