Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

SU10 Query

39 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

Yeah, I had to deal with that when I got a 3080Ti. I ended up upgrading my PSU to a 1300 watt one. If you are right on the limit, you will get a unexpected shut down through your PSU's internal protection. I upgraded from from a 1080Ti like you. There is a process and a calculator to decide what wattage you are pushing but it's hit or miss based on your system. I just said forget it and bumped the wattage way up.

Rick

Yeah they're saying a TDP of 320w for the 16GB flavor of 4080.  So that leaves about 500w for the rest of my system which should be enough even with spikes.  I do have 6x led fans but no other lighting.  My USB devices are almost all plugged into a powered hub.  And my CPU cooler is just a single 120mm fan on the Noctua DH15.

Engineers design this stuff.  My dad was an engineer for almost 30 years - they don't write specs for nothing.  If it says 320w than it's 320w under maximum load.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

To save reading every SU10 thread, (no shortage of them) would you be so kind as to list the things I should love and the things I should loathe? Just so I know. 🙂

Not like you have a choice, eh?   Nothing to loathe, really.  Smoothness up, framerate down.

DX12 good.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Don't forget Poland! er..I mean the VFR map change is my favorite.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

15 minutes ago, RichieFly said:

Don't forget Poland! 

I had to look that up! 🤣

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

I have a feeling my GPU is much more heavily used for the same kind of FPS (while it kind of looks nicer) only settings change i made was enable Ultra clouds.

My PC was usually decently quiet before Sim Update 10 when in cruise flight.

Do you thin DX 12 might help?

18 minutes ago, Mace said:

Nothing to loathe, really

What? Remember where you are Sir!

For those that don't know me, the OP was tongue in cheek. 🙄

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

11 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Quoting from another post:  "SU10 is like Christmas in September".. all you need to know 😉

Bert

After a few flight in the NG and Fenix for me DX12 and TAA is where I am, DLSS makes displays blury and when the speed tapes etc are moving its really bad. I dont see any FPS increase with DLSS Balance or quility so imo I see no point at the moment.

Clouds and weather are a lot better and DX12 also adds to that.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I'd like the 16GB version but we'll have to see what manufacturers do 

Whatever you do don't get the 12GB version.  It's not in any way a 4080.  Cut down in every department and not even on the same die as the 16GB   It is in fact a very expensive 4070.   A disgraceful con from Nvidia that has put the final the nail in the coffin for me.  Next upgrade will be an AMD GPU for sure.  Sick to death with nvidia's games.

1 hour ago, The Moose said:

Whatever you do don't get the 12GB version.  It's not in any way a 4080.  Cut down in every department and not even on the same die as the 16GB   It is in fact a very expensive 4070.   A disgraceful con from Nvidia that has put the final the nail in the coffin for me.  Next upgrade will be an AMD GPU for sure.  Sick to death with nvidia's games.

Apparently evga was sick of them too.  This isn't the first time they've played tricks.  I owned the GTX 970 with 3.5GB vram haha... remember that sad old slow .5 GB of ram?

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Heh.  I know you, but not in the biblical sense.   You are always tongue in cheek.

Ron is banned for loathing-in-cheek.

Rhett

21 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Apparently evga was sick of them too.  This isn't the first time they've played tricks.  I owned the GTX 970 with 3.5GB vram haha... remember that sad old slow .5 GB of ram?

Yeah I was still a little surprised to see evga dropping nvidia.   I could ...maybe... build an entirely AMD rig next time around but I haven't done that since 2005.  One of my buds works for Intel, he always grouses on me about the *one* time 15 years ago when I last built an AMD.  👹

and that's actually a lie, I built another AMD rig in 1993 using their then-very-cool 386DX/40 cpu.  He won't read this though, so I'm ok.

Rhett

You should love SU10 and hate that SU11 only arrives in November 

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

On 9/23/2022 at 10:39 AM, Ron Attwood said:

I saw this and laughed because I do know you.

What I found amazing afterwords were all the discussion on video cards in the 4000s and X12 and such.

Heck I have a 1080Ti...where in heck do folks find the money for all this stuff.  The sim should not be forcing us to have NASA level computers in my view.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

On 9/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, 1st fltsimguy said:

I saw this and laughed because I do know you.

What I found amazing afterwords were all the discussion on video cards in the 4000s and X12 and such.

Heck I have a 1080Ti...where in heck do folks find the money for all this stuff.  The sim should not be forcing us to have NASA level computers in my view.

It doesn't! I have a 2080 card, and MSFS runs fine with almost all settings at Ultra. In most places I see FPS at 40-60 and smooth performance.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super