Sign in to follow this  
Drumcode

Is 64 gigs of DDR5 an overkill?

New build, strictly for flight sim. I am willing to shell out for 64 gigs, but is it worth it? Needed? 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

No and no.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

47 minutes ago, rjack1282 said:

No such thing as computer hardware overkill when talking about simming PCs 🤣

Could you please explain this in a certain context? When you fly for example KJFK with all 4 or 5 addon airports activated? Sure!
For normal flying? 32GB is more than enough is my estimate.

But, if you have AIG + 3rd Party Scenery + LOD full max = sure 64GB is way to go IF!!!!!!!! If you also have for example Simtoolkitpro running besides and more apps (like AI Companion or other stuff like PFPX)! I am also looking into 64GB RAM expansion.

Better CPU means more possibilities for apps, more apps is more RAM usage. Go for it!

Thinking budget? Normal usage? Then 32GB is the way to go.

Edited by Piotr007

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

25 minutes ago, Piotr007 said:

Could you please explain this in a certain context? When you fly for example KJFK with all 4 or 5 addon airports activated? Sure!
For normal flying? 32GB is more than enough is my estimate.

But, if you have AIG + 3rd Party Scenery + LOD full max = sure 64GB is way to go IF!!!!!!!! If you also have for example Simtoolkitpro running besides and more apps (like AI Companion or other stuff like PFPX)! I am also looking into 64GB RAM expansion.

Better CPU means more possibilities for apps, more apps is more RAM usage. Go for it!

Thinking budget? Normal usage? Then 32GB is the way to go.

Well my response was made in jest but yes I pretty much agree with everything you've said above.  I run MSFS basically maxed out in 4k with Simtoolkitpro and other apps open on a second screen and rarely have I gotten close to 20GB of ram usage.  I have 32GB currently installed.

Ryan

4 hours ago, Drumcode said:

New build, strictly for flight sim. I am willing to shell out for 64 gigs, but is it worth it? Needed? 

Sure. Get 4 sticks of 16GB so you can sell off 32GB when you realize you don't really need 64GB. Seriously!

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I run pretty high settings and many other programs and tabs etc.  Usually I'll be 20-22 max.  64 I would say is not needed.  I have not seen evidence of somebody exceeding 32 with a flight simulator.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Remember one eye is still on Xbox Series X for MSFS which only has a total of 16GB system memory - that includes both RAM and VRAM. Even with additional background apps related to the sim, I can't see there ever being a need for more than 32GB in the next few years. Worst case, it if turns our you did need more, you can always add to what you have and it will likely be cheaper by then.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, Drumcode said:

Not needed.  However if I was building a new super rig I'd probably do it haha.  I did a build in Feb but it wasn't a super rig - it is just a high quality rig.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Not needed.  However if I was building a new super rig I'd probably do it haha.  I did a build in Feb but it wasn't a super rig - it is just a high quality rig.

I did it anyway. Now waiting for the 4090 to come out and I’ll be to fly to the moon. 😀

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

5 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I did it anyway. Now waiting for the 4090 to come out and I’ll be to fly to the moon. 😀

That's awesome!  YOLO!  What PSU did you get?  I'm still contemplating the 4080 16gb.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

That's awesome!  YOLO!  What PSU did you get?  I'm still contemplating the 4080 16gb.

Corsair HX1000. I’ll see how people like the 4090 in the sim first and then I’ll decide. If this thing will lay down some serious law and delivers big time, I will not wait for the 4080.

Jacek G.

I did some testing today on memory use as I'm also about to get a new AM4 rig. Same issue - 32 or 64? So I just ran with your basic task manager to view RAM usage on my current system (64gb) and with my MSFS set up on basic ultra (nothing modded from "ultra") at 4k and only a couple of addons loaded (EGLL, NYC) I was seeing 36 gb memory use at startup, dropping to around 26 gb once up and on a flight. So I'll stick with my original plan and go for 64 with the new machine too, on the basis that it gives me plenty of headroom if things change.

I was actually testing to see if a RAM cache provided any MSFS benefits, the thought having just occurred to me, but to my surprise it didn't make any difference. Not sure that I understand why not, as a 96mb L3 cache on the 3XD chip seems to work wonders I would have thought than a multi GB RAM cache ought to do something. But I'm probably misunderstanding something basic. If it were that simple everyone would be doing it.

I'm going for an R9 7900 setup as I'd need to get a whole new outfit to go back to any Intel CPU at this point, and they've already said, I believe, that the 13th gen will be the last of the current architectures so any upgrade would need another new system again, whereas the AMD will need a new system now but will be good for a few upgrades yet. And anyway, I actually trust AMD more than Intel these days.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Just to correct myself and my comments about the RAM cache in my previous post. I was just reminded of how it all works by a colleague outside of here. Embarassing, but 20-30 years ago I used to teach that sort of thing for mainframe guys. Completely forgotten the whole business. Oh well, now where did I leave that other sock . .

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

asobo has made it so the sim doesnt use as much ram as it used to.  32 would be just fine.  i have 64 as i had to decide before msfs was even released.  i took the safe route.  but as i said, 32 is fine

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.