Sign in to follow this  
wiggum

Flickering with Freesync on after SU 10 ??

Hi,

i always used Freesync (since i have such a monitor) and limited the FPS to 60 ingame and in the driver. Perfect

Now after installing Sim Update 10 (no, i did not update the drivers since) they changed it and now i can no longer set the Max FPS to 60 ingame but only to 100% Max Refresh Rate or 50% or 33%.

Now, now matter what i do (Vsync On/Off, Max FPS, max refresh rate, HDR on/off)...does not matter if the setting is in the driver or ingame....my screen always flickers (more or less) when in MSFS, during loading screens, in the menu and ingame.

If i deactivate Freesync it stops with the flickering. But this was never an issue before Sim Update 10...now i have to disable Freesync for MSFS!

Anyone with a similar experience? 

So Sim Update 10 ruined Freesync?

Disable vsync and use RTSS to cap the frames. Flickering is caused by change in hz whilst the frames fluctuate. 

I'm guessing you have a VA panel in your monitor?

I had similar issues with VA free sync monitors including XP11, not just MSFS. Although it was enabled in the monitor, I ended up disabling it in the driver due to flickering issues. I'm sure if you are using sync in the game then it isn't truly using freesync since it is trying to limit you a certain refresh rate. Now you are you unable to set the specific refresh rate, I wonder if this is essentially enabling the free sync again.

I would disable free sync for MSFS and set your refresh rate to 50%. If you are seeing smooth frames and no flickering then stick with it. Freesync can work well but if the refresh rate varies a lot, the backlight on VA panels especially is constantly adjusting voltage to match the backlight frequency to the screen refresh rate and it is actually this backlight flickering that you are likely noticing.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

1 hour ago, wiggum said:

Hi,

i always used Freesync (since i have such a monitor) and limited the FPS to 60 ingame and in the driver. Perfect

Now after installing Sim Update 10 (no, i did not update the drivers since) they changed it and now i can no longer set the Max FPS to 60 ingame but only to 100% Max Refresh Rate or 50% or 33%.

Now, now matter what i do (Vsync On/Off, Max FPS, max refresh rate, HDR on/off)...does not matter if the setting is in the driver or ingame....my screen always flickers (more or less) when in MSFS, during loading screens, in the menu and ingame.

If i deactivate Freesync it stops with the flickering. But this was never an issue before Sim Update 10...now i have to disable Freesync for MSFS!

Anyone with a similar experience? 

So Sim Update 10 ruined Freesync?

DX11 or 12?

Sergio Naiberg

Are you using Nvidia or AMD?

If Nvidia, My recommendation is to disable free sync, disable in-game v-sync and then set v-sync in NV Control Panel to fast. This is working perfectly for me. 

36 minutes ago, SergioN said:

DX11 or 12?

DX11 and AMD

Never had this issue before Sim Update 10 and no, i dont use a VA Panel, i use IPS

Edited by wiggum

1 minute ago, wiggum said:

DX11 and AMD

Never had this issue before Sim Update 10 and no, i dont use a VA Panel, i use IPS

Sorry I confused flickering with tearing. I was having tearing with SU10 DX12 (no tearing with DX11 Vsync FAST) and had to set Vsync to ON in NVCP to mitigate it, I'm using g-sync and have no flickering. I had though, but like a year back, with an older nvidia driver. No Flicker in a long time now, what ever settings I choose in game or NVCP. And no AMD here, so I can't help there.

Sergio Naiberg