Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Wouldn't It Be Nice if FSX Had This Sort of Tool.

You open up FSX and find the airport is in a ditch. No problem a couple of clicks and then use the arrow buttons to move the airport elevation up/down "in game". You also note that the airport isn't quite in the right place. Easy peasy. Another click and then use those arrow buttons to shift it horizontally. Flying along you see a lake that is on a plateau. Aha! Those arrow buttons again. Things are so much easier with this tool as apposed to the old method of doing it - and you can see all your changes in game.I'd be willing to pay for such a tool if somebody could invent it. :D

As it presently exists, the sim would have to re-load every time you made a change like that. Not sure if people would like that. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest weeniemcween

ha ha. touch

>But if this magical tool were to exist there would be no need>for any reloading. If it saved the fixed area, this would only have to be done once! I could live with that!! There is other issues though with mesh particularly with airports, which this type of tool wouldn't help, and in fact could make things worse then they are!! This is do to the requirement of airports to be flattened. IF for example you reduce the cliff on one side of the airport, that will submerge the other side! The only real solution would be not to use flattens and have airports sit at their proper elevations. To do this properly though would require even higher resolution mesh, then is available today!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Nah yuou missed the point, this is a problem with some of the default FSX airports you obviously havnt found one yet.... Keep looking you will, there was a link to a site that lists all the screwd up aiports but its down at the moment.

>Nah yuou missed the point, this is a problem with some of the>default FSX airports you obviously havnt found one yet....>Keep looking you will, there was a link to a site that lists>all the screwd up aiports but its down at the moment.I think Jim was being tounge in cheek. :-)

>But if this magical tool were to exist there would be no need>for any reloading. ;) Yeah, but the entire sim would have to be re-written for it to do that.Presently, FS(x) has to re-generate the scenery each time a change is made.It's a nice idea though.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

>Hi,>>I know the guys in this thread, hence my initial post!! Any>mesh really adds to the list of mis-aligned stuff.>Yes, and plateaus and valleys too.But Victor has a very cool idea, I think.The only problem I see is that it's not do-able with the way the sim is set up right now...the sim has 50-60 second scenery refreshes and all.Any change made on-screen would mean the sim would have to re-load to get it to take.But a few years ago I thought about what the "perfect scenery design program" would be, and it was very much like Victor describes....something where we are in the sim and could edit things on the screen as we go.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

Guest jshyluk

I envision something like the terrain builder in SimCity 4, or WorldBuilder, for games like Company of Heroes, Dawn Of War, etc. Well, in the case of SimCity, the tool is built into the game, whereas in WorldBuilder, the tool runs outside of the game, but provides an interface that gives the user a view of what the terrain would look like in the game.Currently, it is possible to "massage" the data to eliminate lakes on plateaus and airports in trenches (and vice versa), but I would think you generally have to be a terrain mesh developer or a truly advanced disciple of MSFS to be able to get at the code. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

I've worked on a LOT of airports that were at incorrect elevations and locations that made them, even though they were at the correct elevation, cut into a hill or on a plateau. One of my favorite things to do in FS9 was to take an airport, delete its flatten, move it to its correct location and rotation according to Google Earth, and come up with the optimum flatten elevation and shape to fit the terrain/mesh. This fixed a lot of really ugly scenery and was very satisfying. A lot of airports, while sloped to an extent, are really on some fairly flat ground, necessarily so, and merely in the wrong location or elevation, and sometimes that cliff is really there. I've also found airports 150 ft higher than they should be in some cases.I'd love this tool.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest jshyluk

Well, well, a self-reply. Although I don't like to make back-to-back messages, I have news that's at least new to me.Today's Avsim news links brought me to the new Sim Pilot Magazine, which in turn had a link to the freeware SBuilder by Luis de S

That's just about like FSX_KML only a different interface.Luis always does a good job.The ability to have a real-world photo underneath you as you work is a huge step forward for designing. I remember the old days when we just had to "guess"...but it didn't matter too much using tiles several km's across. Anyone remember Alfred Grech's "let's cover the whole FS world" sceneries?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett