Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

NVIDIA DLSS - Quality, does wonders in VR

Without any Toolkit mods with the HP Reverb G2, the new DLSS setting really improves framerates.  For those that don't want to tweak like the old FSX days changing this one setting once you get VR setup seems to be al that's needed.  The only issue now is the gauge clarity.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

yeah, it certainly ups the fps for me too

My gripe with it and TAA is that they add too much blur to the distant objects like mountain ranges, as well as some nearer objects that should be as clear as the other nearer objects

I hope we get some VR love soon from asobo

Edited by dogmanbird

When I fly VR with my G2 in IL2 I'm always reminded about the overall lackluster clarity of VR in MSFS.  Even using 100 render scale with TAA AA isn't crisp, even tried no AA and it's a little better but the jaggy edges ruin it. 

IMO DLSS and DX12 rock in VR.  Sorry for those that have problems using these features. 

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

16 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

When I fly VR with my G2 in IL2 I'm always reminded about the overall lackluster clarity of VR in MSFS.  Even using 100 render scale with TAA AA isn't crisp, even tried no AA and it's a little better but the jaggy edges ruin it. 

IMO DLSS and DX12 rock in VR.  Sorry for those that have problems using these features. 

Do you mean it closes the gap on image sharpness between MSFS and IL2? I’m on holiday and can’t wait to try DLSS and DX12

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

Sorry for the misdirection of my post, should have included the following.  DLSS and DX12 does nothing to fix the MSFS VR clarity issues.  What it does do is provide the same image quality as the openxr toolkit's scale/sharpen while boosting fps, in my case 4 to 5 fps.  I now only use the openxr toolkit for its performance displays hi and lighting adjustments. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

in vr, dlss blurriness can be somewhat compensated with higher supersampling by setting the openxr tool for WMR (not openxr toolkit) and set the ‘custom render scale’ slider above 100%.

ex: setting this to 130% means the image will render at 3604 x 3522 and by setting the dlss quality=balance, decent performance with ~clear text on the glass panels.

depending on overall gfx settings and rtx hw, performance will vary, but for the 3090, seems to work ok.

Edited by kdfw__

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

On 9/24/2022 at 1:11 PM, dogmanbird said:

My gripe with it and TAA is that they add too much blur to the distant objects like mountain ranges, as well as some nearer objects that should be as clear as the other nearer objects

Indeed.

I notice everyone is mentioning blurred glass/gauges in the cockpit as being the only negative in DLSS compared to TAA but for me it's also the overall quality of the picture, also outside the cockpit like nearby and especially distant objects/ horizon. And moving objects (cars, planes etc) leave strange trails

So, I am not surprised performance is better.

Quest 2, 5800X3D, 32 Gb RAM, RTX3090

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:56 AM, kdfw__ said:

in vr, dlss blurriness can be somewhat compensated with higher supersampling by setting the openxr tool for WMR (not openxr toolkit) and set the ‘custom render scale’ slider above 100%.

ex: setting this to 130% means the image will render at 3604 x 3522 and by setting the dlss quality=balance, decent performance with ~clear text on the glass panels.

depending on overall gfx settings and rtx hw, performance will vary, but for the 3090, seems to work ok.

Tried this setting and indeed seems a bit sharper on the panels (G1000Nxi in the Kodiak)

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

On 9/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, kdfw__ said:

Just want to inject some clarity on scaling values in OpenXRTK. Over 100% actually has an inverse effect to values under 100.

From the github manual -

"A value above 100% represents the ratio “target display resolution over application rendering resolution”. The higher the value, the lower the application rendering resolution. For example, a value of 200% means that the application rendering resolution will be calculated to produce a target display resolution twice higher. If the target display resolution is 2200x2200 pixels, then the application will render at a resolution of 1100x1100 pixels.

A value below 100% represents the ratio “application rendering resolution over target display resolution”. This is how the upscaling factor was specified in the previous version of the NIS Scaler. The lower the value, the lower the application rendering resolution. For example, a value of 50% means that the application rendering resolution will be half of the target display resolution. If the target display resolution is 2200x2200 pixels, then the application will render at a resolution of 1100x1100 pixels."

e.g. A value of 130% is exactly equivalent to a value of 80% visually. It's just using a different scaling method.

Edited by ZLA Steve

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU