Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Asobo may dumb down wind gusts again - stop them please!

2 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

For those saying flying IRL is easier than in sim. Yes. Absolutely. And it always will be. You will have physical controls with real feedback. You are in the seat. I've always said flying is a piece of cake, it's the laws, and knowledge that is the only hard part about flying. For those good at studying and have good hand-eye, flying is second nature.

Flying on a flat screen sim with a few hundred dollars worth of controls will still not come close to how it feels to fly a real aircraft.

Your point being?

For what its worth, I don't disagree with anything in your statement but that's the nature of the beast. Moreover, sim flying is different to RW flying in that you fly by the seat of your pants with your head out rather than in the instruments, for instance.

However, just because there are things you'll never be able to import to a sim doesn't mean one shouldn't strive to improve on those that are.

It seems that some people on this forum had (quite sadly) had made it their lives vocation to sing the praises of MSFS regardless of reality and froth all over when someone dares point out the sims shortcomings - of which there are still aplenty. 

Edited by ha5mvo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ha5mvo said:

It seems that some people on this forum had (quite sadly) had made it their lives vocation to sing the praises of MSFS regardless of reality and froth all over when someone dares point out the sims shortcomings - of which there are still aplenty. 

Words spoken by an XP fan...

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Okay, THANKFULLY, Asobo will disable wind gusts with an upcoming hotfix this week or next, according to a thread on the official Microsoft Flight Simulator Forum.    This was the right decision until gusts can be implemented realistically at some point in the future.  

Back to On  the Rails flying I guess. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, hobart escin said:

Okay, THANKFULLY, Asobo will disable wind gusts with an upcoming hotfix this week or next, according to a thread on the official Microsoft Flight Simulator Forum.    This was the right decision until gusts can be implemented realistically at some point in the future.  

Post a link please to this info.  

I can't believe the gamers won...😳😶

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Words spoken by an XP fan...

Here's an example of what I said if one ever needed one....I don't have x plane...challenge you to find but a single post of mine on the xplane forum.....

Edited by ha5mvo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Aside from the actual debate on wind/gust realism, it was my understanding that ASOBO prioritised  improvements and fixes using a voting system on their official site, something Ive never bothered with, it follows that any changes are to a degree a reflection of what is important to those that use this feedback system and I imagine that young gamers that have grown up with such social media interactions feel more inclined to use this system than old simmers and thus greatly influence the Game/Sim's direction.

Im probably wrong as usual, but just a thought

Edited by Sceadu

8 hours ago, CaptBillyBob said:

Spot on is a stretch. 

It's a huge stretch for anyone claiming to be a real world pilot and not seeing the need to have this in the sim with more refinement work to be done versus not at all.  Heck if they left this 'as is' for awhile and worked on other things I'd be more than happy. 👍😏

• Like 3

FS2020 

1 hour ago, Sceadu said:

Aside from the actual debate on wind/gust realism, it was my understanding that ASOBO prioritised  improvements and fixes using a voting system on their official site, something Ive never bothered with, it follows that any changes are to a degree a reflection of what is important to those that use this feedback system and I imagine that young gamers that have grown up with such social media interactions feel more inclined to use this system old simmers and thus greatly influence the Game/Sim's direction.

So far the vote in the official forums point to keeping this feature in the sim as is with refinements for cloud interaction.  

It's things/topics like this that really fleshout real world pilots and those who have knowledge about real world aviation versus gamers claiming to be real world pilots.  If this is too much for you please don't even think about stepping into a real world cockpit (although I'd love to see these same guys step out of a cockpit after spin training🤪).  I'll go even further to say I'd love some of these guys complaining about this to spend a few hours in a Cessna 152.  I could keep going because it's funny reading this stuff.🙃

I'll add gamers/Xbox users have an expectation because as an example flying in Airliners is so much smoother than it once was in birds like the 737-200 and 727.  Today with wing flex even in moderate turbulance it's not that bad.  So if you base your flying on current airliners and have never been in a small plane, with an Xbox controller there shouldn't be an issue on short final in gusty conditions with a 5 knot crosswind component.  O.K., I'm trying to make since of this and it's not working...😌😁

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

I don't understand this whole "real pilots this" and "real pilots that" thing.

It's a $60 game, ferchrissakes. It's not the "real thing", will never be, period.

Sure, let's enjoy the improvements, but one should take this game for what it is (and isn't).

I don't see professional soccer players crying about Fifa 2022 not being like  the "real thing".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dillon said:

It's a huge stretch for anyone claiming to be a real world pilot and not seeing the need to have this in the sim with more refinement work to be done versus not at all.  Heck if they left this 'as is' for awhile and worked on other things I'd be more than happy. 👍😏

I didn't claim anything. I posted a video of myself landing a plane in very tough conditions to show it's easier to handle a real airplane. A young looking guy like yourself would have probably bounced it down the runway. 

Tony Fontaine

23 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I don't understand this whole "real pilots this" and "real pilots that" thing.

It's a $60 game, ferchrissakes. It's not the "real thing", will never be, period.

Sure, let's enjoy the improvements, but one should take this game for what it is (and isn't).

I don't see professional soccer players crying about Fifa 2022 not being like  the "real thing".

Ladies and Gentlemen here you have it. 👍

Nevermind the work being done by WorkingTitle where I can go to my local airport KISM and use the real world Garmin as I would use what WT has produced, nevermind every real world approach under VFR conditions I can fly just as I would in the real world with the sim looking just like the real world, etc (I can practice an approach and see the topography around the airport area before actually going there in real life).  Nevermind the fact this franchise has created more real world pilots than any other software in existence/history which pre-dates XPlane.  It's an absolute blessing from high and shocking this can be brought to us for around $60 which makes it no more less relevant of a tool it gives real world pilots.

These same people who think nothing of this title than mindless entertainment will be the first ones to comment on features and argue something's realistic or not to a point they influence the software's trajectory in development if left unchecked...  Again here you have it...😌

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

As far as my response to the op, I have done a couple flights in this update and have found the aircraft to handle just fine. There are some swings here and there but nothing I have found that you cannot correct with appropriate control inputs.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

40 minutes ago, CaptBillyBob said:

I didn't claim anything. I posted a video of myself landing a plane in very tough conditions to show it's easier to handle a real airplane. A young looking guy like yourself would have probably bounced it down the runway. 

Did you ever think the conditions were different in both scenarios?  I can never compare two flights because it's never the same unless I have someone flying in the real world and I'm simming at the same time.  In MSFS (post SU10) I flew in and out of KISM and one day it was smooth and the next day bumpy.  Went and checked the weather and indeed it was a bumpy day in the real world.  Called a friend of mine who flew that day and he confirmed what I saw in the sim as he flew around the same time.  Every day is different just like no two landings are the same.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

44 minutes ago, Sceadu said:

Aside from the actual debate on wind/gust realism, it was my understanding that ASOBO prioritised  improvements and fixes using a voting system on their official site, something Ive never bothered with, it follows that any changes are to a degree a reflection of what is important to those that use this feedback system and I imagine that young gamers that have grown up with such social media interactions feel more inclined to use this system than old simmers and thus greatly influence the Game/Sim's direction.

No, you're just wrong.  The most vocal people in the forums and the ones that are most likely to vote on issues are actually the "hard core" simmers, many of whom are real life pilots.  Most of the casual users of MSFS just don't care and most won't bother to vote.  And most casual users don't even know the details of flight models, the details of live weather, the details of the G1000, etc, and they don't care either.

This is why Jorg hired Working Title, because the "hard core" simmers kept complaining about the G1000 and other instruments were missing a lot of functionality, and the lack of progress on them.  I think it's also why Jorg hired Andrey (Petrovich) Solomykin from IL-2 Sturmovik, because the same "hard core" simmers keep nitpicking at the flight model.

It's the "hard core" simmers that are driving the changes in MSFS, and many of the top voted wish list items are coming from the "hard core" simmers . 

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

14 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Did you ever think the conditions were different in both scenarios?  I can never compare two flights because it's never the same unless I have someone flying in the real world and I'm simming at the same time.  If MSFS (post SU10) I flew in and out of KISM and one day it was smooth and the next day bumpy.  Went and checked the weather and indeed it was a bumpy day in the real world.  Called a friend of mine who flew that day and he confirmed what I saw in the sim as he flew around the same time.  Every is different just like no two landings are the same.

KISM is where I started training for my PPL about 30 years ago. Do you train there? 

Tony Fontaine