Sign in to follow this  
vl1

P3D5 slow start (lot of addons)

I have around 500 payware airports, the sim was starting in a steady pace and normal time, but now i switch more and more airports from scenery.cfg entries  to add-on.xml system, and I noticed that p3d5 takes longer to fire up. Longer and longer.

Maybe if the scenery has only one internal folder it is prudent to keep it as a scenery.cfg entry?

yes, it is noticed and mentioned by other users already, that the xml method of add-on activation slows down the loading of P3D dramatically. Especially the scenery database is impacted. The reason for this may lies in two causes. One is the managing of the scenerylayering of xml layers and legacy layering by the scenery.cfg. The Sim need to go thru all add-on xmls, scanning their parameter and put them into order. The other reason lies in the spreaded data architecture wich follows the Windows structure, where the Program has to look into several different location to find all nessecary piece of data, roaming folder, documents folder, program data folder, root folder and then go into all different folders a scenery contains of (scenery, texture, scripts, etc)

For developers this is the true horror, when you need to start the Sim about 30 times a day, wasting your time while waiting for the Sim got loaded.

• Like 1

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

I gave your answer a thought for some time, and have some thing to discuss.

Basically I would gladly move most of sceneries to scenery.cfg, but if only one effect goes with the scenery you will need to put them all to one p3d/effects folder. There if you need to delete something or update, you will never what to remove. Therefore you will have, in some time, tons of unneeded fx files.

On the other hand...

Will it not be prudent to completely get rid of scenery cfg entries? I mean except for those several default ones?

I use the Lorby-SI P3D Addon Manager to put sceneries into regional groupings, and I disable the regional groups I'm not flying in at the time.  Speeds up loading significantly.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

I use the Lorby-SI P3D Addon Manager to put sceneries into regional groupings, and I disable the regional groups I'm not flying in at the time.  Speeds up loading significantly.

not my case. I am thinking about getting rid of scenery.cfg but 500 xml files to create - too much work

13 minutes ago, vl1 said:

not my case. I am thinking about getting rid of scenery.cfg but 500 xml files to create - too much work

The addon manager also makes fairly quick work out of converting a scenery entry to xml.

That said, I have about 350 add-on sceneries in P3Dv5, and the majority of them came already configured for xml, as that's been the LM-preferred method since p3dv4 came out over 5 years ago.  500 sceneries in the scenery.cfg is pretty unusual these days--are those FSX/32-bit P3D scenery conversions?

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

1 minute ago, Bob Scott said:

The addon manager also makes fairly quick work out of converting a scenery entry to xml.

That said, I have about 350 add-on sceneries in P3Dv5, and the majority of them came already configured for xml, as that's been the LM-preferred method since p3dv4 came out over 5 years ago.  500 sceneries in the scenery.cfg is pretty unusual these days--are those FSX/32-bit P3D scenery conversions?

yes they are, cause in total i have 582)))

can you pinpoint me on how to create add-on.xmls in P3DAddonOrganizer?
thanx

38 minutes ago, vl1 said:

yes they are, cause in total i have 582)))

can you pinpoint me on how to create add-on.xmls in P3DAddonOrganizer?
thanx

Go to the "Scenery" tab, select the scenery layer to be converted, click the "edit scenery" button, and then click "Move to add-on.xml"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vl1 said:

I gave your answer a thought for some time, and have some thing to discuss.

Me myself i have a mixture of scenery using scenery.cfg and other which use xml. My loading time is still acceptable and i have not planned to move everything to one or the other corner. In my opinion it could turn out as a bad idea, to move everything to the legacy scenery.cfg method. This new file structures with xml were introduced when MS it was needed to cope with the new file structures of Windows 7 and 10. This could give a hint, that this will be more and more the way to go, because Windows is setting the rules at those points. This would mean, at least you would have to swim against the current constantly, by ignoring this. 

On the other hand i think performance issues like loading times, stutters or things like this, which depend on the more complex file stuctures, will step into the background over the time because of much more faster hardware like PCIe 5.0 SSD´s, Motherboards and the next generation of MT-CPU´s (Intel 13th gen. CPU´s i. ex.) whose threads are dedicated to exact increase the speed of the file loading, caching and handling. 

There is no general "right or wrong". It really depends on your setup and preferences. If you don´t own a more or less High-end PC, it´s may be much more effective not to use the xml method for add-on scenery as a compromise. My own Rig is powerfull, but even not "High-End" compared to the actual hardware. My SIM is running smooth and very stable (i usually sitting in my homecockpit for 6 or 8 hours, flying short and mid-range legs within Europe). Well, it takes about 2 to 3 minutes to fire up the SIM. Imagine what would it be on a PC with an I9-13000 + RTX 4090 + PCIe 5.0 SSD with at least 15.000 MByte read and write per second.

At the Moment it seems the xml file structures are getting more and more the "standard" and hardware will catch up to lean the overall latency.

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

The time difference after disabling masses of sceneries is often only a few seconds in load times not including the sim having to reindex on its next start. Having to configure the sceneries to disable before that probably makes the overall  times longer than if you just left them alone.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

This is interesting. I have a midrange Aurora R6. It takes close to 15 minutes for my system to start P3DV5. My addons are a mixture of .XML and scenery .cfg flies. I might shorten that time significantly by changing them all to .cfg files?  I have tried disabling all sceneries except the ones for a particular session but that didn't make a noticeable difference. 

Vic green

15 minutes??? My waiting time is +-3 and I ain't happy, but have 600 sceneries and 1500 airlines installed

1 hour ago, vl1 said:

15 minutes??? My waiting time is +-3 and I ain't happy, but have 600 sceneries and 1500 airlines installed

LOL. Count your blessings my friend. Maybe you don't have an issue after all.🙂

Edited by Patco Lch

Vic green

slightly off topic ........ but my "quirky" is that addons.cfg scenery stutters way  more than scenery.cfg in my modest setup, though both giving good performance loading.

i am still not sure if it's the former's scenery at fault or the apparent complexity of addon.cfg loading/rendering ..... on my setup at least.

ISS's WSSS is a case in point ...... heaps of script, effects & animations whilst similarly complex WFSS's VHHH & ZSPD installed as scenery.cfg are fine.

during a stutter, i will see the rendering core drop to 20% whilst most other cores spike from 25 to 70% ...... seemingly finding / calculating the required render as the scenery changes.

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin