Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Dark Cockpits

It's so dark in the cockpits I can't read the gauges.  Is there a way to brighten it up, or is this a bug.

The screenshots it the opening boot up show all these bright cockpits.  Mine is no where near that. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Roy

you could try the NCP and use nvidia colours or the AMD version if you have that 

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

32 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

It's so dark in the cockpits I can't read the gauges.  Is there a way to brighten it up, or is this a bug.

The screenshots it the opening boot up show all these bright cockpits.  Mine is no where near that. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Roy

Roy, you can use Geforce Experience filters and try to balance outside brightness against interior brightness.  I found the Details filter to offer the best option, combined with dialing in brightness/gamma/contrast using NV Control Panel's Desktop Color settings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

Roy, you can use Geforce Experience filters and try to balance outside brightness against interior brightness.  I found the Details filter to offer the best option, combined with dialing in brightness/gamma/contrast using NV Control Panel's Desktop Color settings.

Thanks Noel.  I've got the latest Geforce Experience.  I'll try that.

Roy

Alt-F3 gets you to the filter options.  Once you get there and try the Details filter, use the drop down to play with sliders.  Again, combine that with basic Desktop Color settings.  Cheers

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Alt-F3 gets you to the filter options.  Once you get there and try the Details filter, use the drop down to play with sliders.  Again, combine that with basic Desktop Color settings.  Cheers

Noel, can you please elaborate a bit more. I downloaded and installed Geforce Experience, got to the Home/Games&Apps screen, but hitting alt-F3 does nothing. Nor do I get any reaction hitting other Alt+FuncKey combinations.  What did I do wrong or what am I overlooking? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Later: I included "Freestyle" into Geforce Experience and now hitting Alt-F3 works, however, I am now being surprised with the message "A supported game is required to use this feature". Strange, as GFE recognizes and launches FS2020 perfectly.

Edited by hvw

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

I was able to get the cockpit brighten up but then the external view was all washed out.  I still don't know a lot about this feature but I was able to get a setting which balances both.  Neither are as good as it gets, but it's workable.  It seems there is a trade off.  You can have one or the other, but not both.

Roy

1 hour ago, hvw said:

Noel, can you please elaborate a bit more. I downloaded and installed Geforce Experience, got to the Home/Games&Apps screen, but hitting alt-F3 does nothing. Nor do I get any reaction hitting other Alt+FuncKey combinations.  What did I do wrong or what am I overlooking? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

You have to turn on the in-game overlay--you'll see it on the home screen of GFE.  Of note, since using the Studio Drivers I see now I have to manually hit the show in-game overlay control on that home screen, then Alt-F3 gets you the filters.  With former game ready drivers I didn't need to do this--now w/ this temporary driver it also won't open the overlay because it does not now see MSFS as a supported game.

Noel

2 minutes ago, Noel said:

You have to turn on the in-game overlay--you'll see it on the home screen of GFE.  Of note, since using the Studio Drivers I see now I have to manually hit the show in-game overlay control on that home screen, then Alt-F3 gets you the filters.  With former game ready drivers I didn't need to do this--now w/ this temporary driver it also won't open the overlay because it does not now see MSFS as a supported game.

Thanks for your help. A few seconds ago I edited my note to you :). Here it is: I included "Freestyle" into Geforce Experience and now hitting Alt-F3 works, however, I am now being surprised with the message "A supported game is required to use this feature". Strange, as GFE recognizes and launches FS2020 perfectly.

Edited by hvw

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

2 minutes ago, hvw said:

Thanks for your help. A few seconds ago I edited my note to you :). Here it is: I included "Freestyle" into Geforce Experience and now hitting Alt-F3 works, however, I am now being surprised with the message "A supported game is required to use this feature". Strange, as GFE recognizes and launches FS2020 perfectly.

Are you using the Studio Driver for DX12 also?  This is the first time I've seen this issue w/ GFE and the overlay, so I have to think it's the studio driver.

Noel

11 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I was able to get the cockpit brighten up but then the external view was all washed out.  I still don't know a lot about this feature but I was able to get a setting which balances both.  Neither are as good as it gets, but it's workable.  It seems there is a trade off.  You can have one or the other, but not both.

Roy

Yes, it's not completely selective but I've found it's the best option right now and does require fine-tuning along w/ your basic desktop color settings via NVCP.

Noel

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Are you using the Studio Driver for DX12 also?  This is the first time I've seen this issue w/ GFE and the overlay, so I have to think it's the studio driver.

Yes, I am using the latest NVidia Studio driver. I'd better wait for their game-ready driver to arrive then. Thanks again for your assistance.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

I also think something has changed - and the cockpits have become excessively dark in SU10 (DX11 and DX12):

It doesn't matter how you tweak the settings (GeForce Exprience, nV Control Panel or Reshade), you'll end up with washed out scenery.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

That is a typical case of MS/Asobo not really understanding the wishes of the community: it was a very much upvoted wish on the wishlist that they should reduce the eye adaptation effect and what they do? Almost completely eliminating it... *facepalm*

BTW: this is also another example letting me wonder if they still continue to NOT test their updates. Don't tell me that it takes 5 Minutes to instantly realize that something is wrong now with the cockpit illumination/darkness if you fire up your updated sim for a single time only. No idea how such things can slip through, other than it was fully intentional, then we are back to the upper statement.

• Like 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS