Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Dark Cockpits

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, AnkH said:

BTW: this is also another example letting me wonder if they still continue to NOT test their updates. Don't tell me that it takes 5 Minutes to instantly realize that something is wrong now with the cockpit illumination/darkness if you fire up your updated sim for a single time only. No idea how such things can slip through, other than it was fully intentional, then we are back to the upper statement.

The more these updates come out the more I'm convinced they don't have a dedicated in-house testing team (which for a game of this magnitude it needs one), take the Global Rendering option in the UI for VR as a Prime example; Within seconds of loading the UI up in the very first SU10 Beta you could see this was bugged, it was reported immediately on the forums, but ignored throughout the entire beta process and only had "Feedback Logged" (It should be BUG Logged!) after SU10 went public. If they've got an internal testing team, then surely you'd think one of the jobs would be to go through the UI to check that all the Options are working correctly - but alas this blatantly obvious bug was missed completely.

Of course it's not a major game breaking issue, nor a an issue anyone can live without, but still the point remains; Why was it missed internally? Why was it ignored during the lengthy public beta process? Why don't they check these things properly? Another example of what I call Schoolboy mistakes from Asobo/MS that after two+ years they're still making.


HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to be on topic, the very early SU10 betas the Eye Adaption was awful in VR, it couldn't of been less natural. They reverted it to what I believe was similar to SU9, in fact I've done many flights in later SU10 betas & public release and it's been just fine for me.


HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its simple, many complained about the eye adaptation so Asobo “took care if it” 🙂 

i reported during beta that it has been nerfed so much its almost switched off. Thats why cockpits are dark now. 


Roi Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Its simple, many complained about the eye adaptation so Asobo “took care if it” 🙂 

That is what I wrote: we should always be careful what we wish for, if the potential wish is fullfilled by people not really getting the point of the wish 😉 


Greetings, Chris

Intel i7-8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Sapphire RX 6900 XT SE, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 5.3, MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, AnkH said:

That is what I wrote: we should always be careful what we wish for, if the potential wish is fullfilled by people not really getting the point of the wish 😉 

The point it is was horrid in early Beta, they needed to be told it was incorrect (which we did) and they adjusted accordingly, what they're failing to do is recognise that such drastic changes affect people in different ways especially when it's Monitor or VR usage. It can't be just one rule for all in this instance, that's what they need to figure out and that's what Beta stages are meant for amongst other things.


HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MarcG said:

The point it is was horrid in early Beta, they needed to be told it was incorrect (which we did) and they adjusted accordingly, what they're failing to do is recognise that such drastic changes affect people in different ways especially when it's Monitor or VR usage. It can't be just one rule for all in this instance, that's what they need to figure out and that's what Beta stages are meant for amongst other things.

WHAT I do not understand is this "yes" or "no" approach Asobo obviously constantly pursues. Why not leaving the eye adaptation like it was in SU9 and simply add an option to turn it on or off (like it was possible via usercfg.opt)? Then those who are not happy with the current implementation could simply turn it off and they could take their time to adjust it until it suits most. But no, instead they now almost completely abandoned it, in SU11 it will come back but again overdone and so on...


Greetings, Chris

Intel i7-8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Sapphire RX 6900 XT SE, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 5.3, MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AnkH said:

WHAT I do not understand is this "yes" or "no" approach Asobo obviously constantly pursues. Why not leaving the eye adaptation like it was in SU9 and simply add an option to turn it on or off (like it was possible via usercfg.opt)? Then those who are not happy with the current implementation could simply turn it off and they could take their time to adjust it until it suits most. But no, instead they now almost completely abandoned it, in SU11 it will come back but again overdone and so on...

Because they largely don't know what they're doing, I've already mentioned their ignorance of VR (multiple times!) with again proof in this latest Beta. I get it it, it's a constantly developing title which I applaud but IMO they're going about it the wrong way by messing with the base sim (public) too much and not experimenting enough during the beta phases and dealing with the feedback accordingly. Take the usercfg option for Eye Adaption, it's there but it's never worked for me in VR since SU2 when VR first came out, so why is it there in the first place?! that needs to work, ultimately they need to pay more attention.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hvw said:

Yes, I am using the latest NVidia Studio driver. I'd better wait for their game-ready driver to arrive then. Thanks again for your assistance.

I have the studio driver. The filter options work absolutely great. Watch this!

 

Edited by Greazer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Greazer said:

I have the studio driver. The filter options work absolutely great. Watch this!

Thanks for sharing this video. I'm happy that it all works well for you, but here Freestyle doesn't even recognize FS2020 at my PC and informs me that it only will work on a supported "game". Hence someone suggested that the filter only would work when a game-ready driver is installed. 

I don't mind it all that much, anyhow, as I undock the PFD, ND and Upper ECAM to my secondary display and enjoy my flight in that way. Not ideal, but hey, it's a work-around 🙂 I only hoped that GFE/Freestyle would give me a better solution to this dark cockpit problem.


Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

 

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 32GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Greazer said:

have the studio driver. The filter options work absolutely great. Watch this!

Personal taste of course, for me, all those vids using nVIDIA GF Experience filter "enhancements" look totally unnatural, oversaturated and most of the time also over-sharpened. But yes, some like it like this, I am also more on the higher saturation side regarding monitors and TVs, but sometimes it is simply too much.

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i7-8700K@5.0GHz, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, Sapphire RX 6900 XT SE, Windows 10 Home 64bit, Prepar3D 5.3, MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hvw said:

Hence someone suggested that the filter only would work when a game-ready driver is installed. 

I thought that, but I'm using the studio driver and can open the GF filters and not sure why they wouldn't open before so I thought it must have been the driver.  A reboot restored it.  But yes, you should be able to get to the filters at least it's not necessary to have game ready drivers as it turns out.  Never used Freestyle and don't plan to after reading about it.

How does this look?spacer.png

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.215v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 3080 Ti FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, 30 frames vSync to 60Hz.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel said:

I thought that, but I'm using the studio driver and can open the GF filters and not sure why they wouldn't open before so I thought it must have been the driver.  A reboot restored it.  But yes, you should be able to get to the filters at least it's not necessary to have game ready drivers as it turns out.  Never used Freestyle and don't plan to after reading about it.

How does this look?spacer.png

Thanks, Noel. But I had to activate Freestyle in the settings of GFE to get to the filters, without doing so was a no-show of the filters. Then only to find out, that FS2020 was not being recognized by Freestyle. Oh well. Your cockpit looks great What about the outside environment? Is it negatively impacted by GFE's filters? 


Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

 

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 32GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, Roy Warren said:

It's so dark in the cockpits I can't read the gauges.  Is there a way to brighten it up, or is this a bug.

The screenshots it the opening boot up show all these bright cockpits.  Mine is no where near that. 

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Roy

Have you ever been in a real cockpit that's enclosed in the daytime (non-canopy like a fighter jet)?  Go to a museum and sit in a cockpit of one of the aircraft sitting outside.  People have gotten so used to XPlane/FSX/P3D where darkening of the cockpit was never fully modeled in conjunction to the outside world.  In the Longitude in the real world (the same for many other aircraft) you have to turn the cockpit lighting on for operation (it has a black colored cockpit).  It all depends on how the sun is shinning on the plane.  Next time you take a flight on an airliner, if it's in the day look at what lights are turned on in the cockpit.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 10 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AnkH said:

Personal taste of course, for me, all those vids using nVIDIA GF Experience filter "enhancements" look totally unnatural, oversaturated and most of the time also over-sharpened. But yes, some like it like this, I am also more on the higher saturation side regarding monitors and TVs, but sometimes it is simply too much.

The youtuber made it oversaturated. It's all personal preference.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Have you ever been in a real cockpit that's enclosed in the daytime (non-canopy like a fighter jet)?  Go to a museum and sit in a cockpit of one of the aircraft sitting outside.  People have gotten so used to XPlane/FSX/P3D where darkening of the cockpit was never fully modeled in conjunction to the outside world.  In the Longitude in the real world (the same for many other aircraft) you have to turn the cockpit lighting on for operation (it has a black colored cockpit).  It all depends on how the sun is shinning on the plane.  Next time you take a flight on an airliner, if it's in the day look at what lights are turned on in the cockpit.

You're quoting apples vs oranges.  No, I have never been in a real cockpit and I don't intend to, but I do intend to be in a MSFS2020 cockpit and I can't use it if I can't see the gauges.

I have never used XPlane or P3D so I don't know what you're talking about there.

Using the Studio drivers and G-Force Experience I have brightened up my cockpit like to photo in this thread, but the external view is all washed out.

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...