Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Is it a good idea to get RTX3090 for MSFS now?

I am still running a 1070 and i5 4.8

And I run 4 monitors in multi mon and system runs very smoothly.

There is no point in upgrading. Just replace the whole machine, when the time comes, new motherboards SSD's and RAM makes a huge difference all together. 

Replacing just one component just makes for another bottle neck.

You really need to update the power supply as well as the whole cooling system to get the most out of new components.

Also next gen computers will shrink a lot in the next year or so.

Unless a component breaks it is usually not worth upgrading. I have worked with computers since the 70's and this has always been true. I spent a lot of time building video editing and 3D systems over the years and I have always found this to be true. Of course this is just my opinion but it has served me well over the decades.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

10 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

t could give you more headroom to crank up the settings and handle heavy weather

Apparently 3440x1440 takes care of this because I already have all setting maxed and it handle all weather without a struggle.  Render Scale will pressure GPU utilization to where I have to move it down from 130 to as low as 110, but that will be the same w/ the 3090 because it's not VRAM related it's GPU processing power and 3080Ti and 3090 are effectively the same for GPU power.  I could afford to sell the 3080Ti and pick up a 3090 but I don't think it would be worth the hassle and cost.   I'm holding pat to see if Asobo does anything that warrants more horsepower because at this point that is not the case.  I'm also quite happy at solid 30fps.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have an RTX 3090 and if I knew then what I know now I would have bough a 3080 instead. Don't get me wrong its a great card but you don't need 24GB of VRAM and that's the main difference with the 3080. 12GB of VRAM is enough for anything. Especially if you are upgrading 9 series intel CPU. Heck I wouldn't even buy a new 3080 for that. There are plenty of suckers out their desperate to sell their 3080ti so they can buy a shiny new 4090. Take advantage of one of them. Not me though! I wasn't born yesterday! I'm keeping my 3090 until they are collectors items. Then I'll sell it as at a premium! LOL!😜

1 hour ago, RJC68 said:

I am running a 3090 with an i7-12700K,

I can hit a solid 50 fps in complex aircraft like the PMDG or Fenix with high to Ultra settings in 4K. I have dabbled a little with DLSS but don’t really like the way glass panels refresh so I’m sticking with TLA for now. One thing I’ve noticed with SU10 is that the changes they made to clouds can still push the 3090 hard. I chose to run the clouds on high rather than ultra as I see very little different and ultra will definitely nail the GPU in heavy situations.

The sim looks fantastic and if I run everything maxed out there’s very little different visually from what I have now and there will be no headroom for the GPU.

Overall I’m very happy with my setup, to be honest if you can hit a solid 50fps the sim is very fluid and there’s very little difference between this and 60 fps. I’m still interested to see how the 40 series cards perform but I’m really not that keen on needing a power supply rated in kilowatts!

Agree I have a 12700k with a 3080ti and it runs beautifully at 4k maxed, would have like more memory but so far the ti seems to cope with reserve 

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

3 hours ago, FBW737 said:

I have an RTX 3090 and if I knew then what I know now I would have bough a 3080 instead. Don't get me wrong its a great card but you don't need 24GB of VRAM and that's the main difference with the 3080. 12GB of VRAM is enough for anything.

I’m glad I have the extra vram of the 3090. Some of the latest scenery will use up the vram in a heart beat. Here is what my vram usage is at DD’s Midway Airport. I’ve seen a few other get close. Later when we add in more detailed airports, planes, DX12, Ultra settings along with 4K, I’m sure user will see high usage of vram.  16-24gb seem to be the sweet spot.

WATG202.png

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Turn on dev mode and show fps and see what is the issue - your gpu or cpu. Go from there.

• Like 2

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

A 3090 is more than enough to run MSFS in 2x 4K and everything on Ultra in 30 hertz / vsync on / TAA / LOD terrain 180 - LOD objects 170

I use lots of Live Traffic ac and my home airport is Amsterdam Schiphol with its 6 runways. And Amsterdam city with its many canals is right next to it.

I have 12900K @ 5.3 GHz and when being at Schiphol this cpu is my bottleneck not the gpu.

Nice a vid with 3x DSLL but it makes everything more blurry than TAA.

Also how is DSLL 3 compared to DSLL 2. I guess that DSLL might be better suited for many with RTX cards as DSLL 3 might be too unsharp regarding gauges and regarding object sharpness in the far distance.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am also considering just to stay on my current machine for 1-2 years and then just replace the whole PC with the latest CPU and next gen graphic cards. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

2 hours ago, Wise87 said:

I’m glad I have the extra vram of the 3090. Some of the latest scenery will use up the vram in a heart beat. Here is what my vram usage is at DD’s Midway Airport. I’ve seen a few other get close. Later when we add in more detailed airports, planes, DX12, Ultra settings along with 4K, I’m sure user will see high usage of vram.  16-24gb seem to be the sweet spot.

WATG202.png

That's not actual usage, it's just allocating that much because you have it. You see the same pattern with RAM, the more you have, the more applications with allocate. Absolutely does not mean you need 24GB of VRAM, that is insane. 

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

the reality that I’ve found with the 3090 VRAM is that it will both allocate & unallocate memory as is necessary whilst flying around an area,

it will access VRAM as required,

as examples, Orbx enabled Melbourne & Brisbane areas will fluctuate with my current settings between 10-16GB VRAM,

of course, there are other heavy load scenarios - like iniBuilds EGLL, for example,

what I note is the VRAM memory will automatically adjust to the actual circumstances encountered,

it would seem that lack of VRAM notably introduces some long pauses whilst flying as memory allocation shuffles…

There are some very good second hand deals going on just now for the 3090 - they are selling for less that 3080 12gb and 3080 ti’s in a lot of cases. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

In test no sim is using the full power of the 3090 on the fastest CPU, This makes the 4090 pointless for flight sim but we all know people will buy them no matter what the price, We blame the industry but the fact over inflated prices never stopped people buying them.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

9 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Hello folks,

As you can see from my signature, I own RTX2080 with 8gb which is alright at the moment. Now some local dealer has an offer for RTX3090 around 1000€ and I am considering to get it, especially after SU10 and DX12, I assume the larger the VRAM, the better MSFS gets? What do you guys think, shall I get RTX3090 or wait for RTX4080 ?

thanks 

If you will be CPU limited (mainthread limited) and you plan to use DLSS, the 3090 doesn't help you because it can only use DLSS 2. The 4080 can use DLSS 3, and as per the CEO of NVidia, DLSS 3 may help in situations where you are CPU limited, as he specifically mentioned that MSFS is a CPU limited game and that DLSS 3 helps with it.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

My 3060 Ti is more than good enough for the 2K resolution I work at...

Performs beautifully in both MFS and XP12, with MID-HIGH settings.

• Like 2

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...