Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

Is it a good idea to get RTX3090 for MSFS now?

I have a 10900k and 2080Ti and run in 3440X1440, and my computer can handle it just fine in Ultra for the most parts, but I think a 3080Ti would give me the little extra I need to stay over the edge in the most heavy duty places , so I will probably buy a used 3080Ti when they show up at a good price after the new 4000 series is released.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I don't trust the VRM of the 3090 non TI cards.   I had one 3090 die with a red led on one PCIE connector,  and my RMA 3090 is starting to show issues.   Two separate 1000w psu's.

As for the 4xxx cards,  some people have decided they won't watch Jayz videos,   but if you were to watch the video Viper posted,   it details how the 4xxx series 12pin connector is only rated for 30 connection cycles. Melting has been observed.   The connector doesn't make sense to me,   it's too highly stressed.

"The PCI-SIG or Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group is an electronics industry consortium responsible for specifying the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI), PCI-X, and PCI Express (PCIe) computer buses."

https://wccftech.com/atx-3-0-12vhpwr-gen-5-connector-major-safety-risk-using-adapter-confirms-pci-sig/

Edited by Waldo Pepper

I have the exact same setup as the OP and am 50% CPU and 50% GPU Limited at 2k and everything on "High" and LOD at 125.

I'd say your CPU is still going to hold you back unless you just want to increase your rez....

Chris Camp

I was at the Microcenter yesterday picking up hardware for my new 5800X3D build and one of nerds said that with the 4xxx cards,  PCIE 4 will be a 15% bottleneck. I don't know where he came up with this, I have not seen anything out there yet that would support it. 

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

23 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

I was at the Microcenter yesterday picking up hardware for my new 5800X3D build and one of nerds said that with the 4xxx cards,  PCIE 4 will be a 15% bottleneck. I don't know where he came up with this, I have not seen anything out there yet that would support it. 

Given the 4000 series of cards only support PCIE4, that is total nonsense they are talking. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

3 hours ago, Claudius_ said:

Totally wrong, very good cards in the wrong hands. You don't understand how a flight simulator works.

Yeah its CPU limited, so what ? With no CPU limit the 3090ti is strong enough but in most cases its limited and not powerfull enough with its 60% usage. A 4090 will bring much more fps with the same usage and thats the point. 

Complete obsolet discussion, cause we cant solve the CPU bottleneck. 

1 hour ago, Ponymetzger said:

Complete obsolet discussion, cause we cant solve the CPU bottleneck. 

We already have DX12 resulting in a massively more efficient CPU utilization... With the studio driver. After installing it I've been GPU limited after being main thread limited for ages with DX11. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

26 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

We already have DX12 resulting in a massively more efficient CPU utilization... With the studio driver. After installing it I've been GPU limited after being main thread limited for ages with DX11. 

That is what I am seeing as well. GPU usage almost 100% @ 4K most of the time when not on very large hubs with lots of AI-Traffic.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

29 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

That is what I am seeing as well. GPU usage almost 100% @ 4K most of the time when not on very large hubs with lots of AI-Traffic.

Likewise. Much smoother.

• Upvote 1

„Most of time“ and what about an EKCH/EGLL/EDDM/EBBR with Vatsim? You wont see the 100% usage and good fps… but yeah at 38.000ft the 3090ti has a usage of 100%. 

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I don't mean to go off topic, but is the studio driver really that much better? I've held off, waiting for a game ready one. If DX12 and the SD are really that great, i'll try it out...though I mostly fly in VR.

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot

1 hour ago, V1ROTA7E said:

I don't mean to go off topic, but is the studio driver really that much better? I've held off, waiting for a game ready one. If DX12 and the SD are really that great, i'll try it out...though I mostly fly in VR.

For those of us with a nVidia GPU, it's kinda a big deal. 

I was in the beta for two months. We had quite amazing performance in DX12 in the beginning. People were raving about it; many saying they never had better performance in MSFS. But early on Asobo decided to disable the DX12 VRAM memory manager for nVidia users as a lot of users where getting visual glitches. After that there was not really any point to continue using DX12 as performance in DX11 was much better. 

The rest of the beta period was a waiting game, waiting for that performance to return. And then SU10 went public, and we found this disclaimer in the release notes: 

Please note that our new memory allocator for DX12 on PC will only be activated for Nvidia graphic card users once the next driver is available (will improve performance). Other graphic cards already benefit from the new allocator.

After this somewhat vague statement, the discussion on the forums exploded, leading to numerous posts and speculations re: which driver we will need to get that awesome performance back. Now, Asobo has yet to clarify which driver it is. But a few days ago there was some sort of confirmation from nVidia that the studio driver will give the same benefits in terms of DX12 performance as the upcoming game ready driver.

This could give some background to the "studio driver hype". But the GRD will be here very shortly, so it'll be perfectly fine to wait for that. 

EDIT: And @V1ROTA7E, if you're mainly using VR, you'd probably want all the performance you can get from your hardware. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well since I am using DX12, I have been GPU limited almost most of the times which led me to consider upgrading my GPU to something with more vram.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

9 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Well since I am using DX12, I have been GPU limited almost most of the times which led me to consider upgrading my GPU to something with more vram.

I don't think having more ram would help with you being GPU limited bit nice to have as much ram as possible, it's GPU processing power that you need more than ram 

Edited by Jetman67

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

38 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

Oh, lol 😂 I guess we could almost always use better hardware - it never stops. Having said that, I'm not going to exchange my 3090 for a 4090. 

I'm not 🤐

I don't think I will 🙃

But most certainly @turbomax will 😁

EDIT: Trying to find the most appropriate emojis and I nearly stalled my analog Caravan at 19,600ft, lol. Not much oomph at that altitude, barely managing 500fpm. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett