Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

The importance of vegetation.

The main difference in the scenery between these two pair of screenshots is the vegetation (different polygons and textures).

I think this could be a good starting point for LR to improve default scenery. A lot of bang for the buck (i.e. good visual improvements with little development time necessary).

rlVJ1Ng.jpg

xrGGIOb.png

1k7l9Eo.jpg

Nz7YDHH.png

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 5

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

100%... But, need to be careful not to over do it, too much vegetation (or trees that are too big) can drown out the scenery below. In earlier versions of MFS I found the UK and some other areas had way too many trees that made some areas unrecognisable, but I think in the below shots the balance is good:

2101964745_PA-18-150-2022-02-0200_09_23.thumb.jpg.e9f49661d1a569b3022005bb7f60c5f4.jpg

1870865109_PA-18-150-2022-02-0200_41_44.thumb.jpg.1e319c6a1e5a62212ebd7c6a2fe7b6db.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

In earlier versions of MFS I found the UK and some other areas had way too many trees that made some areas unrecognisable, but I think in the below shots the balance is good:

That was also because tree sizes were far too big and have since been reduced in MSFS. XP 12 vegetation is far too sparse and uniform in its current iteration. 

Edited by steve310002
  • Upvote 1

I have global forests, although it appears to place trees in a better position it can be sparse in places

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Murmur said:

The main difference in the scenery between these two pair of screenshots is the vegetation (different polygons and textures).

I think this could be a good starting point for LR to improve default scenery. A lot of bang for the buck (i.e. good visual improvements with little development time necessary).

rlVJ1Ng.jpg

xrGGIOb.png

1k7l9Eo.jpg

Nz7YDHH.png

Wow nice difference, what addon is this?

3 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Probably one of those orbx true earth sceneries 

i have orbx but don't look as good as that! 😄

16 hours ago, Murmur said:

Oh yes, exactly, I love that exact add-on for the very same reason you're showing it off here and I totally know it even without you PROVIDING A F'IN OUNCE OF CONTEXT. Gah!

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

6 minutes ago, Bjoern said:

Oh yes, exactly, I love that exact add-on for the very same reason you're showing it off here and I totally know it even without you PROVIDING A F'IN OUNCE OF CONTEXT. Gah!

What context? 🤷‍♂️ It doesn't matter what the specific add-on is, the point of the post is to show the difference between default vegetation VS a much better one.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

What context? 🤷‍♂️ It doesn't matter what the specific add-on is, the point of the post is to show the difference between default vegetation VS a much better one.

what's the big secret? 😉

Is this orbx 2.0?? 😄

Edited by UKflyer

9 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

what's the big secret? 😉

Is this orbx 2.0?? 😄

A friend took the screenshots, it should be Orbx Oregon (without ortho). If you have it, how does it appear on your XP? You said it looks different?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

A friend took the screenshots, it should be Orbx Oregon (without ortho). If you have it, how does it appear on your XP? You said it looks different?

ah Oregon very nice, i only have UK and the Europe ones. So you use the overlay without ortho's? I'm going to try that out 👍

18 hours ago, Murmur said:

rlVJ1Ng.jpg

xrGGIOb.png

1k7l9Eo.jpg

Nz7YDHH.png

That looks 100% better. If we had an add-on that produces that, it would go a long way to making it better!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UKflyer said:

So you use the overlay without ortho's? I'm going to try that out 👍

In some screenshots I've seen, it can look better without ortho than with low res ortho. This gives me hope for the increase in quality possible in default scenery for XP12.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1