Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Using the Garmin GPS500

Guest Steve_B

Can anybody point me to a definitive guide to the FS GPS. Unfortunately, the real world user guide details procedures that do not seem to be modelled in th FS version.Example: In the FPL page, according to the real world guide, pressing the MENU button should give the option of deleting the current flight plan (what I am trying to do). In the FS version all you see is "(No Options)".I have tried the time honoured method of pressing everything at least once and got nowhere. I would be grateful for any help.TIA,Steve

Simply put, that's where you will get and no farther anyway. The real world guide is more indended to get you used to how the knobs any buttons function (like entering data etc), not so much about all potential functionality. If there is something in the GPS500 that does not work 'as advertised' in the GNS530 manual, that's just the way it is I'm afraid. *:-*So no, you can't delete or modify your FPL from within the GPS500 in any way. The only thing you can do is change the active segment (FPL page, select a segment using the cursor, then press MENU), or define exactly one -D->irectTo waypoint.Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

>I have tried the time honoured method of pressing everything>at least once and got nowhere. I would be grateful for any>help.Funnily enough, the "help" you need is in FSX. It's called the "Learning Center"... :-smile12 Once opened, an extensive, illustrated and detailed explication of the G500 features and usage are exposed. :)You can open and read the Learning Center outside of FSX by pointing your browser to ../uires/lc01.htm which is found in your root FSX folder.The specific article on the G500 may be found here:../FSWeb/LearningCenter/Navigation/UsingTheGPS.htmWhile the G500 won't allow you to create or edit a flightplan, it DOES have a lot of features that DO work, and work very nicely!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The FSX GPS can do a lot more than people usually think (it's not just a moving map), but it's certainly not a complete simulation of the real thing, like the ones from for instance Reality XP. EVERYTHING you need to know about the GPS 500 and 295 can be found in the Learning center. Open te Learning center, open the Key topic Navigation and click on Using the GPS. Here you will find everything you need to know about the FSX versions. Everything you can NOT find here, is NOT available in the FSX version of the GPS. So using information about GPS on the internet won't help you, like you discovered, because a lot of what real GPS can do, isn't implemented in the FSX version.The Learning center is an often overlooked but VERY good and informative part of FS!!!EDIT:Bummer, I don't know how, but when I opened this topic I did not see any reactions... which MUST have been there already, considering the posting times. Well, anyway, you know all you need to know by now... ;)

Guest Steve_B

Thanks for the answers, though they were not what I wanted to hear.I have read the relevant topic in the learning centre (it was the first place I looked) though I suspected that, like much of the information therein, it didn't cover all the bases but merely gave an introduction. This may well have been a misunderstanding prompted by postings in other forums pointing people to the real world Garmin user guide as an answer to their query on using the GPS.While I understand that the FS version is not a complete model of the real world, I am surprised that something as basic as deleting a DTO is not possible, yet procedure approaches are. It seems half-assed to me.Whatever, I have alternatives so I'll not let this spoil my pleasure.Steve

It seems like MS could have designed the GPS to be used in lieu of the game flight planner, but I guess it must be more difficult to do than it seems on the surface.scott s..

Guest Steve_B

>It seems like MS could have designed the GPS to be used in>lieu of the game flight planner, but I guess it must be more>difficult to do than it seems on the surface.>>scott s.>.>Probably the GPS wasn't high on the priorities when MS originally introduced it, i.e. it was useful eye candy, and this has just carried over through the various incarnations of FS.I have pretty much ignored it in the past as I mostly flew third party aircraft with comprehensive FMS. Lately I've been flying the "stock" aircraft more often and so have come across the limitations with the GPS. It's both annoying, disappointing and yet what I expect from MS.Steve

I haven't yet seen any upgrade to FSX from Reality XP for their GNS 430/530 series, which are so well done to real life models that I use it (in FS9) for GPS instrument flight practice. I really miss them in FSX, maybe one day soon :)Bruce.