Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Good news - Bad News for MSFS and AMD 7000

The good news: It’s looking like the 5800x3D is still king so those in the market for a CPU upgrade will be able to save some significant money with AM4 platform and an older generation CPU. Those who need latest and greatest get to wait until Intel or x3D 2nd gen improves. 

The bad news: We likely aren’t getting a generational leap with CPUs this year.  I doubt intel can beat the x3D in MSFS so we will wait to see if AMD releases 7000 series x3D. Some rumors say Q1 2023 but others say Spring 2023

Reviews:

https://videocardz.com/138525/amd-ryzen-7000-zen4-raphael-desktop-cpu-review-roundup

Well, that's disappointing. I was planning on getting a 7950x along with a 4090 in a new build. I might hold out for 13900k instead. I had liked the fact that with AMD motherboards for the next few years of Zen 4 you can just replace the CPU when you want to upgrade.

Looking at the benchmarks its clear just for MSFS its not worth the upgrade from zen 3 5900x. I might go with the 5800x3d and a 3090ti(hopefully price drops big). If AMD comes out w an new x3d chip then it may be time to upgrade to the AM5 platform. 

• Like 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Better wait too for the Intel’s 13900s, maybe the new king in games by the better caches too and more MHz.

Waiting for the 7000 3D caches 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just now, Sethos said:

Waiting for the 7000 3D caches 

I would too if I weren't in a hurry for an upgrade after waiting more than 2 years. I can't justify waiting any longer than early November.

23 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

The good news: It’s looking like the 5800x3D is still king so those in the market for a CPU upgrade will be able to save some significant money with AM4 platform and an older generation CPU. Those who need latest and greatest get to wait until Intel or x3D 2nd gen improves. 

I just went to Microcenter and bought the last one in stock yesterday. This is my first AMD build since the late 90's. I've put it together and swapped all of my SSDs and hit all sorts of weirdness so I just nuked Windows, hoping this cures the issues I was seeing yesterday. Really excited and curious how my new box will perform with this chip.

So as this is pretty much the end of the road for the AM4 motherboards and no way for me to upgrade and these boards being PCIE4, do we have any indications how much of a bottleneck my current motherboard may be for the new 4xxx cards? I am currently holding back until 4080 comes out, but if I'll be bottlenecked af, I'll just go for the 3090ti.

Edited by Drumcode

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 minute ago, steve310002 said:

I would too if I weren't in a hurry for an upgrade after waiting more than 2 years. I can't justify waiting any longer than early November.

I was waiting 10 years from my i7 2600k to my 12900k for a real leap in IPC to change my former CPU at 4.8GHz OCed.

MSFSZen4-LTT.jpg

Raphael performance is very good in most games, but in cache-heavy scenarios like MSFS, 5800X3D remains the king. Wait for Raphael-X, Raptor Lake, or a potential 5800X3D price drop.

Well .. i guess the next "upgrade" for me is a 5800x3d ... shame about losing the extra cores with the 5900x.   Maybe i will throw that into a dedicated zwift/media pc. Absolutely no reason at all to upgrade for me this year.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Now that we know these initial Zen 4 CPUs are sadly nothing to write home about, the next big question will be how will the 13600k, 13700k, and 13900k stack up against the already king of gaming and MSFS performance, the 5800x3D?

2 hours ago, Maxis said:

"upgrade" for me is a 5800x3d

I found this to be a great upgrade from my 5900x.  I am seeing a 10-15 FPS in almost all scenarios with a 3090.  Considering the price it's a "hard to believe" upgrade. 

There are a few other charts showing the 7900x beating the 5800x3D by with 6000mhz DDR5.  Here is one in DX12 and SU10 (https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/09/26/amd-ryzen-9-7900x-cpu-review/7/).  Although his 5800x3D numbers don't look quite right to me.

Eurogamer also has the 7900x about 6 or 7 frames higher: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-amd-ryzen-9-7900x-ryzen-5-7600x-review?page=2

MSFS is kind of a unique case.  For one I don't know if most reviewers know how to test it.  Are they all using DX12 and SU10?  Or are most on SU9 DX11? How much difference does that make? Outside view flying around a city isn't a great use case.  I doubt the reviewers factor is things like AI, addon airports, Fenix A320s, etc.  Are there any other apps running in the background b/c usually simmers have a few? 

There is an iGPU on the new 7000 series so if you are a regular A320 user that could make a difference.  It's possible that a 7900x could edge out the 5800x3D but it's hard to believe it's by much more than a few FPS, but if you are willing and ready to upgrade and don't have a 5800x3D the 7900x might be the better choice.  I can't see upgrading from a 5800x3D to a 7900x making much if any sense.  From what I have seen so far at least.

• Like 1