Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

Why are simmers so concerned about frames ???

I have been simming since the mid 90's and seems in every topic frame count is mentioned which kind of really turns me off.  This is not a one shooter game, or racing game, and so on.  I always thought with flight simming the key is smoothness thus, experiencing a nice beautiful flight which Microsoft flight 2020 offers to the audience.  I have a decent computer,specs down below, frames locked at 30,v sync on, most setting set to ultra, with DX 12 seems I get a real bumpy not stable ride or maybe DSLL is doing that, I probably will go back to my original settings of DX11 and TAA, but that's not definite.

Wasn't their kind of a statement years ago that frames should  be locked at 30 ?  Before locking my frames at 30, I could easily get 60 frames in many areas, but the key to FLIGHT SIMMING is to have a butter smooth experience. and remember frame count can vary, depending on where u r flying, for example, flying in London or NYC ur frames will be down  as compared to flying in Greenland or Iceland which is a lot less dense, what kind of plane u r flying, a Cessna or a Airbus or Boeing. is it 3rd party scenery, and so on.

Finally, yes like most of us here I have a decent  experience, and just a quick thouight, do u think most licensed pilots would ever talk about  oh yeah I get 60-90 frames, or they would say I had a pretty smooth experience ?

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

28 minutes ago, Sunshine13 said:

I have been simming since the mid 90's and seems in every topic frame count is mentioned which kind of really turns me off.

28 minutes ago, Sunshine13 said:

Finally, yes like most of us here I have a decent  experience, and just a quick thouight, do u think most licensed pilots would ever talk about  oh yeah I get 60-90 frames, or they would say I had a pretty smooth experience ?

Uhh well some folks are unfortunately having technical performance issues, ie some Carenado PC-12 users are experiencing drastic periodic FPS drops.

FPS issues and such are and have been a part of flight sims, so yes discussing them as it relates to every integral part of the sim is often necessary.

Sorry you find it so distasteful and unprofessional there, MR SELFISH! 

Had no idea mentioning FPS was such a lowly frowned upon fps gamer thing to do🤣

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

There does seem to be a psychiatric condition known as "FPS Derangement Syndrome." And I too have been occasionally afflicted with this malady. Immediately upon the release of the first SU10 beta, I was totally delighted with the performance of MSFS on my system. I couldn't believe how smoothly the sim operated, even in thick cloud layers. I happily and excitedly flew for several days before I decided to actually do an FPS reading. When I did measure my FPS, it was about 10 FPS lower than I thought I was getting. My previous joy at my sim's performance went away -- even though the sim's performance was obviously no different after my measurement (quantum mechanics notwithstanding).

Some of you hotdog developers need to make an MSFS add-on that blatantly lies to us about our FPS. If we are getting 30, the app will report 45. If we're getting 50, it will report 75, etc. Such an app would be a day-one purchase for me. 🙂

• Like 8

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

do u think most licensed pilots would ever talk about  oh yeah I get 60-90 frames, or they would say I had a pretty smooth experience ?

I do hold a pilot license and still I do talk about frames, frame times, resolution and what have you more than about anything else. it all boils down to personal priorities, budget, experience etc. I doubt anybody around here ever said "oh yeah I get 90 frames" but come the new Nvidia RTX 4000 GPUs, quite a few will proudly be presenting their 130 fps screenshots thanks to DLSS 3. And I know (together with Ianrivaldosmith and Cpt.Piett) I'll be among the first.😊

why do we like to have high fps? not only because we can but because it feels more realistic. anything above 60 is probably overkill for a flight simulator and would instead be used to increase graphic settings. 2020 was that proverbial game changer when MSFS was released, 2022 will be the next game changer when we will see 130 fps @ 4k resolution for the very first time. And we need 130 fps so we can devote half of that to higher graphics settings and probably end up with 60 fps again. it took us exactly 40 years to get here from FS2 back in 1982. flight simulation has never looked better and offered that much realism. lucky all those who live to experience this level that back in1982 we could only dream of, but never thought we would ever get, for only a few $$ more.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

If you think simmers are concerned about FPS, you never knew the rest of the gaming community. People are basically battling each other with the FPS their machines can achieve, even though above ~80-100 no living soul ever notices any difference....

• Like 3

Today I've learned on Avsim....

Mentioning FPS in your computer game airplane pixels while you pretend to be a pilot is very unprofessional and pew pew gamer like, only mentioning "the smoothness" is appropriate.🤣

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

Because high fps are smooth - unless you have massive changes (like on the Carenado PC12 for example because there is a major software bug!)

Especially you'll notice low fps when using Track IR or VR.  20 fps is NOT enough in any sim if someone is using head tracking.  30 is okay but 60, especially with a 60hz monitor is butter.  I've got the 144 hz monitor and i just take what i can get honestly but yes I can notice a stutter here and there.

• Like 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Some like flying between buildings in big cities with a plane that already gives lower FPS, which combined is a frame killer. Therefore, they chase frames. I personally have avoided big cities for that reason partly, though I do plan to fly through more cities again just to have a different experience, in which I'm sure my now 3080 will be a lot better than my previous card, but still could use more frames now and then, but not usually with a 3080 or greater.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

If its an Airliner, Jet or anything in the speeds over 200kts I could see wanting higher fps in the 60 range. No need for that flying a Cessna 152 that's ridiculous. A smooth locked 30fps would be good for that type of flying. Anything over 60 is overkill (well maybe not for VR) and only needed in 1st person shooter types of games. Its only chest thumping at this point.

To me checking frame rates is like checking blood pressure.  I never check either unless I've got a problem.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I never check either unless I've got a problem.

I will stop checking fps once I am confident they stay around the same as my heartbeat. but if they go down, my heartbeat goes up.😊

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Like it or not FPS is the primary way that ALL gamers judge the performace of their systems.  Meaning that every hardware / driver / Windows change not to mention game setting change will usually lead to an FPS check.

Its what we do.

sp

• Like 5

Brokers talk about stocks, anglers about fish, bankers about money, simmers about frame rates. It is the way.

• Like 5

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Horsepower sells cars....torque wins races.

Frames Per Second sells GPUs...smoothness cures frustration & depression! 🤣

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 3

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram