Sign in to follow this  
pannellg

Hurricane Ian

I expected to see some comments on this hurricane which is currently passing through western Florida as of Wednesday around noon Eastern Time.  I'm tracking it on FlightRadar24 and in particular Southwest Airlines Flight 705 which took off from Ft. Lauderdale for Houston, Tx, and skirted the northern rim of the storm at FL360.  Pretty impressive.  Not a lot of other traffic, as you would expect.  As were the clouds precip in MSFS.  I went from KTLH to KSEF at 15,000 ft.  Anyone else take the sim through this storm?

I just did a departure from Fort Meyers (KRSW) at 11:00 am CDT. The surface winds at take off were at about 45 kts. They quickly grew to 80-90 kts. These shots were taken about 28 miles west of KRSW. It looks like this would be they eye of the storm. If that's true it's amazingly accurate. I know Norwegian doesn't operate out of Fort Meyers, I was just too lazy to change the livery.

HO0f8JS.jpg

wXgRUZe.jpg

NAX669.png

Down in the eye wall

K27PcLe.jpg

• Like 3

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

That's amazing! However, I have been in the eye of hurricanes twice in my life, and I can assure you that the rain under those clouds in what passes for the eyewall doesn't fall vertically. Also, the clouds tower much more than depicted here. But it's a great effort.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

I haven't seen any winds go above 100 knots. I wonder if there's a wind limit for live weather or something.

All these green dots are other pilots on the east coast server.

unknown.png

I did a few flights yesterday in and out of Sarasota and KISM in the Longitude.  I can't say it enough, SU10 with gust on takeoff and landing is a blast.  The modded Longitude, WT G3000, and FSRealistic is an amazing combination.  I'm glade SU10 came out when it did.  Now I have to get back to hunkering down as the storm is headed straight for me in the real world...😳 😬😉

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Here is the literally moment the eye makes landfall. So cool this is the technology we get the play in now a days from home

kOfYcx6.jpg

r78OJDA.jpg

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I flew the default Baron B58 into the middle of this storm. It got thrown around a bit but in an unrealistic fashion. I searched out the red and purple areas on the weather radar for the worst of it. I could keep wings level with almost no control input. AP off. It just bobbed about like it was on slightly bent rails. Then I put it down at a small airport where I brought it in by hovering in place over the ground like a helicopter, did my most gentle touchdown since owning the sim 2 years ago…. In the middle of a hurricane. I have crash damage permanent on.

Odd thing too, I was able to do tight 360 degree turns above the airport. in a 90 knot wind while flying at 110 knots, 100ft AGL. The plane should have  stalled and fallen out the sky when turning with the wind. To me it highlighted some of the shortcomings of the flight model interaction with environment in the sim. 

And yeah, obviously one would not be flying around in that storm in the real world. Clouds and rain and sound effects pretty impressive though.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

This one is from a flight this morning, when the eye was near Naples, FL.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

28 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Odd thing too, I was able to do tight 360 degree turns above the airport. in a 90 knot wind while flying at 110 knots, 100ft AGL. The plane should have  stalled and fallen out the sky when turning with the wind. To me it highlighted some of the shortcomings of the flight model interaction with environment in the sim. 

It also depends on the aircraft. If you try to use the 172 or 152 they'll be thrown around (even when sitting on the ground), Asobo has been focusing on those planes as test beds for their new tech.

Edited by Tuskin38

U folks are very brave, Hope u got out of storm well! I might fly down there later

Would be great if flytampa had a vesion of Tampa

• Upvote 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Houston - Key West last night, right through the eye. In reality, the turbulence in an eyewall is so bad it will uncage your eyeballs in your head, effectively blinding you.  This was glass smooth; clouds had moderate vertical development. The 90 degree crosswind gusting to 60kts at Key West was there though.   😂

Andrew Crowley

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I did a few flights yesterday in and out of Sarasota and KISM in the Longitude.  I can't say it enough, SU10 with gust on takeoff and landing is a blast.  The modded Longitude, WT G3000, and FSRealistic is an amazing combination.  I'm glade SU10 came out when it did.  Now I have to get back to hunkering down as the storm is headed straight for me in the real world...😳 😬😉

I hope you come out of it unscathed. It looks brutal from I’ve seen on the news 😲

• Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.