Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

User Aircraft Parking Codes

Mike,The actual question is not whether FSX uses parking code but whether or not using codes will do you any good. FSX mimics the FS9 parking code functions. The problem is that, at this time, AFCAD utilities have not completely matured for FSX. Until we get AFCAD-like capabilities in FSX the codes really won't help you. NOTE: FSX provides for three aircraft sizes for gates. Developers are addressing this issue as we users want gate sizes with more variety.Having said that, there are a large number of developers addressing these AFCAD issues and we're starting to get *.bgl files for some airports. Right now it's a slow process because of the enormity of the environment but there is progress.Frank

Frank,How are people creating and posting FSX AFCADs to the library? I played arounnd with ADE from FSDeveloper.com for the first time the other day and I can't see how people are using this (in its current state) to generate new complex AFCAD's. I've seen new files from the likes of Ray Smith and Jim Vile; I wonder what tool they're using? I created a number of the official PAI AFCADs years ago and I'm eager to do it again, but from what I see, the community just isn't there yet.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

>Frank,>How are people creating and posting FSX AFCADs to the library?> I played arounnd with ADE from FSDeveloper.com for the first>time the other day and I can't see how people are using this>(in its current state) to generate new complex AFCAD's. I am using AFCAD, then a decompiler called BGL2XML, and then doing some manual tweaking to the xml, and then compiling using FSX's bglcomp.Works like a charm. See KSTL in the library that I did using the above method. I need to do a version 1.1 because there are some things I have learned about FSX since I did that.>official PAI AFCADs years ago and I'm eager to do it again,>but from what I see, the community just isn't there yet.You can do it right now, using good old AFCAD. The trick is decompiling it using Jon Masterson's BGL2XML. And then you have to know a little about xml, but really not much...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Quite a bit of editing still must be done in XML to complete airports right now.But the tools are getting better / closer to release.Re: User aircraft - parking codes did not work in FS2004, but I've yet to see any realistic testing for FSX.One issue is that each user flight must originate from an airport outside the active AI zone and needs to be progressed without speeding up the simulation rate.Right now I'm more concerned with AI aircraft behavior than user aircraft - and it's a lot easier to test.

> The actual question is not whether FSX uses parking code but whether or not using codes will do you any good. The actual question is the question I asked. Note the difference between AI aircraft and the user aircraft, i.e. the aircraft you yourself are flying. ;-)Reggie, I agree, AI is much more interesting to look into. I was having a conversation on another site about the well known problem "FS doesn't direct me to the right gate!". In FS9 it didn't work, period. And I told the guy about the trick with the really small gate and ditto radius. But apparently he was talking about FSX. The couple of days I had it installed, I didn't test this and a couple of forum searches turned up no results. So I thought I'd ask.

Mike...

The small radius for parking trick works in FS2004 - and should work in FSX.The negative in FS2004 was the spot view could become hung because it is tied to aircraft size (radius). Got a lot of the fish-eye lense effect.Haven't tried it in FSX, but with the different camera configurations/ view concepts - it might not have that effect any longer.

Mike,I didn't misunderstand your question. The question is still whether or not it will do any good to add the two parking entries in the aircraft.cfg file - whether it is a "flying" aircraft or an AI version does not matter - it is the same entry and thus the same question.fbNote: The term "flying" refers to a user aircraft - you are flying.

I'm not flying, I'm sitting in my chair. :(The way you phrase it now makes more sense. But it's still not to the point and it does matter, AI or user, that much is clear in FS9 or we wouldn't be having this conversation. And we know codes work for AI aircraft, even multiple ones now. Codes or not in the aircraft.cfg file, FS has to be programmed to use them if they are available. I use them for all my "user" aircraft. FS9 ingores them (yes, still use them anyway). That was my question, is FSX coded so that it can use the codes attached to a user aircraft. Assuming of course that you have a proper Afcad, proper parking codes, and that other conditions are met, but that goes without saying. The answer is either yes (with a but, I'm sure) or no. It has squat to do with whether Afcad utilities for FSX have matured or not, etc... :D ;-)

Mike...