Sign in to follow this  
figuarus

Total newbie(ish) trying to fix missing textures

Hello everyone!

My name is Fig. Ive been simming for a long while, but have never really gotten into the technical side of flight simulator. 

After finally being able to have a computer dedicated to running FSX, I have been having some trouble with certain planes. Many planes I have downloaded as add-ons have come from both the Avsim Library and Simviation. Most installations go smoothly and I have not had any real issues with them. But a select few have installed correctly, and only when I have selected a plane and loaded it, do I find out that it will not display correctly.

I have done some reading and some googling about this missing textures / Transparent ghost plane issues, but the 2 "established" fixes have not worked for me. Im not sure if I have done something wrong, but I have tried to find a solution to no avail. 

I've taken to just deleting the add-on and finding something else to fly as it's just been really frustrating dealing with this. I've even resorted to contacting some of the people that published the aircraft like Manfred Jahn regarding his BT-67. He even sent me the file directly through dropbox and I still had the same problem. 

Any chance you guys could take pity on a newbie and help me through this? There are some great planes that I would love to fly, but this missing textures issue is just really aggravating. 

Thanks in advance!

-Fig

PS: A screenshot of the lastest offending aircraft...

RaYNYUs.jpg

hey Dazkent

Yes I have the box edition. I would have to find the box to tell you exactly what version, but it was purchased about 10 years ago. 

I did try the Highmemfix solution as I had read about that, but it did not seem to fix the problem. Some textures went from clear to black, while others went the opposite way. 

Im wondering if I might have done it wrong, but I will screenshot what I did. Im on my way to work now, but will check in later this evening.

• Like 1

Welcome to Avsim!

Make sure the DX-10 preview option in the FSX settings menu is un-checked.  Using DX-10 preview mode leads to a number of texture issues with add-on's originally made for FS2002 or 2004 and converted to FSX. 

I know you already have the boxed version of FSX and you may not want to uninstall and purchase anything else, but I can say from my own experience that FSX Steam Edition does not require any cfg file modifications, it runs better, runs smoother, and is less susceptible to crashing or running out of memory than the boxed versions of FSX.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi Fig! In my experience, unfortunately, some models designed for FS2002 or earlier, just don't work in FSX, even if uploaded and working for FS2004. 

All the other suggestions here are right on! You have come to the right place for quality help.

Dan

Thank you guys for the replies. 

"Make sure the DX-10 preview option in the FSX settings menu is un-checked.  Using DX-10 preview mode leads to a number of texture issues with add-on's originally made for FS2002 or 2004 and converted to FSX."

Stans, Im not sure how to do this. I dont see any option for unchecking a box in any settings menu. 

Hi Fig! In my experience, unfortunately, some models designed for FS2002 or earlier, just don't work in FSX, even if uploaded and working for FS2004. 

Dan, I realize this is going to be the case. In those cases where the documentation states it's a reconrfigured plane or has been modified for use in FSX, I dont bother trying to fix the problem. All the issues have been with planes made specifically for FSX (at least according to the documentation and descriptions I find)

I did find the Cfg file and did find the graphics section. I did add the line just under the "graphics"  line. Should the new line be inserted somewhere specific? Im also assuming that formatting (all caps) will affect the outcome, right?

Here are some more screenshots so you can see what the results of my CFG file modification are. 

Fairey Phantome: Note the graphics setting are set to lowest possible settings. Propeller and pilot along with some interior textures are still black

jeTQyFU.jpg

Hughes H1: Also displayed on lowest settings, but I should state that I have not had any issues with this particular plane even on high settings

uohGs7L.jpg

There are 4 planes that i recently downloaded that I wanted to fly, but again, they are still showing up with missing textures even after the CFG mod. I should also mention that when selecting 2 of the 4 new planes, the program will shut down entirely. Dont know whats causing it yet...

This is where you would find the DX10 preview box.  This one is unchecked.

image (1).jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

This is where you would find the DX10 preview box.  This one is unchecked.

Ok. Here is a picture of my menu. I dont have that option available to me, meaning that It seems that It is not a factor here, right?

MtMgMZN.jpg

Maybe you haven't installed Service Packs 1 & 2.  After installing SP2, you should see DX 10 Preview.  The SPs might even help in fixing those graphics anomalies.

Chris

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angels40 said:

Maybe you haven't installed Service Packs 1 & 2.  After installing SP2, you should see DX 10 Preview.  The SPs might even help in fixing those graphics anomalies.

Chris

I had the Standard version of FSX and even with SP1 and SP2 installed I never had the DX10 Preview.  I was assuming the OP may have Acceleration installed.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

hey guys. sorry i have been crazy busy at work and have not been able to do much in the way of simming.

I guess I should post some specs on what i have or what version. 

The computer itself is a dell running Windows 10 pro 64bit

I have 12gb of dual channer ddr3 ram 

I dont have a video card installed. just whatever came with the computer.

The game itself was bought many years ago on ebay (i think) and is simply packaged as Microsoft flight simulator deluxe edition. it is the DVD version (again, I think) 

The box for the game specifies a processor of 1gh or higher, windows xp sp2 or windows vista and a DX9 compliant video card with 32mb of ram.

Even with the crappiness of the computer I am on, it seems to me that I should be able to run this fine with no issues. (I have run FSX in the highest settings possible, and it runs absolutely perfectly. 

Again, there are only a handful of planes that I am having trouble with and am starting to wonder if the planes as they are "built" are at fault. (having to high a polygon count or something...)

Charlie Aron

The default airplanes should not be an issue, they are relatively low polygon and have simple systems modeling and typically provide the highest computer performance.  You will definitely want to download and install Service Packs 1 and 2.  Much simpler to spend a few dollars and download FSX:Steam Edition.  With any version of FSX installed on Windows Vista, 7, 10, or 11, I do not recommend installing to the default C:/Program Files directory as Windows security sometimes does not play well with games and sims in that directory.  I highly recommend creating and installing to a new directory for FSX.

One more thing, you said you did not have a video card, you are using whatever came with your Dell computer.  That could be the graphics chip in the CPU, which is Intel graphics and is not known for being good for simulators.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.