Sign in to follow this  
CallsignDE

Fenix A320 ECAM questions

Hi everybody,

i bought the Fenix A320 some days ago but have some problems understanding the ECAM data and messages.

You can see an example ECAM here: (Please ignore the ECAM messages, the picture ist just for showcasing the two questions below)

spacer.png

1. The flaps indicator is always orange coloured even though the flaps are fully retracted. I couldnt find any information regarding this information. When does it turn green like or what is wrong so its orange here?

2. I am starting out of Cold & Dark state. But from the beginning on there is green data about N1 etc. available. In tutorials videos there are orange lines like there is no data available which seems correct for me. Also, N1 is 4.1 despite the thrust levler being in idle. 

3. During Startup i got the message "AUTO FLT A/THR OFF" in the ECAM, i cancelled it because i didnt know what it means but i couldnt start the engines so i guess its because of this caution. I dont have pictures from the overhead but what could be the the problem here? 

spacer.png

Thank you very much for answering my questions!

Best regards

Thies

1) Amber on the slats/flaps indicator means they are locked (inoperable) , In the pic above because you don't have hydraulic power supplied. Start the engines, and make sure the engine driven HYD pumps are all on, 

2) Your FADEC is powered if you can see the green N1 data. You may have incorrectly put the IGN switch to IGN at some point earlier?.  Do you have a strong wind blowing through the engine? Spinning fan sometimes keeps the FADEC auto powered.  Also check the maintenance panel FADEC switch not powered, 

3) Is more tricky to troubleshoot. Have you programmed the MCDU fully and correctly first? THR LVR in forward idle detent? Also never press the A/Thrust button on the central FCU on the ground. It will be armed on the takeoff roll when you  select Flex or TOGA.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x,  RTX4090, Varjo Aero, 32GB 3600MHz RAM , Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe4.0,  980 1TB PCIe3.0, TUF B550M-PLUS (WIFI), Warthog HOTAS, Saitek PRO rudder pedals,  1440p Ultrawide, Track IR, TM Boeing yoke. 

1 hour ago, CallsignDE said:

Hi everybody,

i bought the Fenix A320 some days ago but have some problems understanding the ECAM data and messages.

You should watch a few youtube videos on how to properly start the Fenix! Some systems only come online, once the engines are running and hydraulic pressure is in the systems. My suggestions look for video from easyjetsimpilot or captaincanada....

• Like 3

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

43 minutes ago, Silicus said:

You should watch a few youtube videos on how to properly start the Fenix! Some systems only come online, once the engines are running and hydraulic pressure is in the systems. My suggestions look for video from easyjetsimpilot or captaincanada....

Thank you but i have done this several times, always with the same output. This is why i opened this topic to check where to start troubleshooting. Maybe something wrong with key bindings on IGN switch for example (post above). Will check this later 

🙂

The A320 is not an aircraft that you can just jump in an fly, that is why it is called study level. Watch some tutorial videos from cold and dark, and practice setting up the flight and MCDU before taking off. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

On 9/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, Winkle Brown said:

1) Amber on the slats/flaps indicator means they are locked (inoperable) , In the pic above because you don't have hydraulic power supplied. Start the engines, and make sure the engine driven HYD pumps are all on, 

2) Your FADEC is powered if you can see the green N1 data. You may have incorrectly put the IGN switch to IGN at some point earlier?.  Do you have a strong wind blowing through the engine? Spinning fan sometimes keeps the FADEC auto powered.  Also check the maintenance panel FADEC switch not powered, 

3) Is more tricky to troubleshoot. Have you programmed the MCDU fully and correctly first? THR LVR in forward idle detent? Also never press the A/Thrust button on the central FCU on the ground. It will be armed on the takeoff roll when you  select Flex or TOGA.

Thanks for you help! Could finally solved it. There were some key binding mistakes (double bindings etc.) on functions you mentioned there!

There is just one little problem that i can solve atm. It has nothing to with the title of the thread but maybe someone can help out here without the need of open another thread.

I tried some RNAV/RNP approaches where FLS should be available. Though i understood it is available with every NPA app. in the Fenix A320, i cant get it displayed. I cant get into F-APP on the PDF and when i turn on LS, there is only a frequency displayed in the bottom left corner but not the distance to the RWY etc. The FLS badge is not shown as well. I selected the RNAV app. in the MCDU like tutorial videos are doing it. What am i missing?

Thank you!

Edited by CallsignDE

56 minutes ago, CallsignDE said:

Thanks for you help! Could finally solved it. There were some key binding mistakes (double bindings etc.) on functions you mentioned there!

There is just one little problem that i can solve atm. It has nothing to with the title of the thread but maybe someone can help out here without the need of open another thread.

I tried some RNAV/RNP approaches where FLS should be available. Though i understood it is available with every NPA app. in the Fenix A320, i cant get it displayed. I cant get into F-APP on the PDF and when i turn on LS, there is only a frequency displayed in the bottom left corner but not the distance to the RWY etc. The FLS badge is not shown as well. I selected the RNAV app. in the MCDU like tutorial videos are doing it. What could i be missing?

Thank you!

LS only gives you a display when you are on an ILS. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

17 hours ago, CallsignDE said:

Please watch from 1:16:00 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kolcGYlcCD8 

You shouldn't watch video's from people who even state themselves they probably don't know what they're doing. 😉 But anyway, I haven't used FLS myself (because it's hardly being used in real life yet) but I do know that if you want to fly an RNAV approach you should NOT enable the LS button. Only use that one when you want to fly an ILS. Simply keep LS off. Enable APPR when needed (just as you would with an ILS) and, if you set up the approach as you should, the plane will fly the RNAV approach (or even a VORDME approach) as if it is an ILS. (No autoland obviously.)

I admit I've only done it once, just to try it, but I'm fairly sure that for an RNAV FLS approach you do press the LS button. This brings up the alternate form of the landing scales. The button you don't want to press is LOC. You can arm APPR when the LS shows movement of the scales. Of course none of this is available unless you've selected the appropriate option for the airframe in the EFB.

Ian Box

2 hours ago, ConstVoid said:

but I'm fairly sure that for an RNAV FLS approach you do press the LS button

My bad, you are correct. Check this video from a guy you can trust. 😉 He is using the ToLiss in XP but of course the same procedures apply. For FLS you have to enable LS indeed, no matter what kind of approach you are flying.

1 hour ago, tup61 said:

My bad, you are correct. Check this video from a guy you can trust. 😉 He is using the ToLiss in XP but of course the same procedures apply. For FLS you have to enable LS indeed, no matter what kind of approach you are flying.

Yes, thanks for the video! But that is exactly my problem: When pressing LS, the FLS mode is not activating. So i asked myself if i missed something that is necessary for the FLS to get active. In my case there is only a frequency visible on the pdf instead of the RWY data (Distance etc.)

I’m pretty sure that the Fenix doesn’t support FLS? Have you asked on their Discord?

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

It sure does, but as I said above you need to enable the option for the airframe you're using in the EFB.

[EDIT] To be specific, it's in the Airline Modifiable Information tab, along with Auto TCAS etc.

Edited by ConstVoid
Extra Info
  • Like 1

Ian Box

8 minutes ago, ConstVoid said:

It sure does, but as I said above you need to enable the option for the airframe you're using in the EFB.

Indeed! Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models