Sign in to follow this  
Jack Bacon

FSX installation on windows 11

I have encountered problems installing FSX on brand new ACER Nitro 5 laptop. Windows Installer keeps hanging on "remove applications".Have others encountered the same problem and what could be a solution?

After several failed attempts, I was able to install a boxed version of FSX Gold and Acceleration on a new Windows 11 HP laptop.

The key step was clicking on search and the typing in "Run" then selecting "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows". Then running the setup on Disk 1. Follow the prompts. That took care of the first 2 disks.

Then, closing everything, I installed the Acceleration disk the same way.

(More directly, go to the Start menu, type “run programs” in the Search box, select “Run programs made for previous versions of Windows” from the results list.)

Edited by RayHff
drop old link and added last line
  • Like 1

If you mean the menu bar across the top of the screen (?) then hold alt key to make it appear.

Edited by MaDDogz

Luke Pype

with some advices I managed to install FSX in Windows 11 as follows:

As normal use windows installer for installing DVD disks 1 and 2. The installer uses loads if time for removing applications. Be VERY PATIENT. There did not appear autonatically a FSX icon.Nevertheless I could run FSX by clicking on FSX icon on program files/microsoft games/ flight simulator X. First right click to adapt compatibility by using problem solver. Tge advice was to run on earlier windows version Vista. I attached the FSX icon on the task bar.Then what was missing was the menu bar. I could solve that final problem by downloading and running SP1 and SP2.

Now I am happily playing FSX again on my new laptop.

Hope this us helpful for those who encounter similar problems.

This has now worked several times in Windows 10. Would be interested if you all think it is obsolete for Windows 11 so I don't try to help an 11 problem again. Thanks!

Dan

FSX REINSTALLATION of Gold Edition out of the box with Product Keys.

1. CLEAN UNINSTALL FSX.

a. UNINSTALL Acceleration from the Apps/uninstall on computer

b. UNINSTALL FSX from computer apps or from the disc 1.

c. CLOSE/REOPEN Program Uninstall and make sure all FSX components are gone.

d. Go to C:\Program Files (86x)\Microsoft Games\ Microsoft Flight Simulator and delete this folder or whatever drive you had it on.

e. Go to C:\Users\YOUR NAME and delete any fsx material

BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REINSTALL FSX:

2. Reset the license key   (Cause of Error 1603)

a. Make sure MSKB928080 is installed to 😄 drive root folder. You can download it from the web.

b. Run the following as administrator

b. Open cmd prompt from start menu and "run as administrator"

c. Type  cd C:\  then hit enter

d. Type cd MicrosoftKB928080 and  hit enter

e. Type resetsldl -All  and hit enter.NOTE: there is a space between ldl and -

Should get message that success in token store reset.

3. Reset Windows Installer  (Cause of Error 1722)

a.        Click Start, Click Run and type “Services.msc” (without quotes) and press Enter.

b.       Double-click Windows Installer.

c.        Set the Startup type of Windows Installer to Manual.

d.       Click Start to start the service. Note down the error message if any. Click OK.

((Method 2 [I never had to use this]: Reregister the Windows Installer. Follow these steps for the same.

a.           Quit all Windows programs.

b.           Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /unregister” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK.

c.           Click Start, All Programs, Accessories and click Run. Type “msiexec /regserver” (without quotes) in the Open box, and then click OK. Restart your computer.  ))

3. Install FSX to D:\FSX (a NEW folder completely) where D=whatever drive you will use. Create the new folder. DON"T install to Program x86 folder. My computer isn't the baddest, so FSX works best for me installed on the SAME DRIVE as the operating system. (Solved the problem of hangup/crash with a color screen other than BSD)

Place CD in drive and open\run the setup as Administrator

After Disc 2 complete, start FSX. I initiated the default flight to make sure it worked.

4. Close FSX and REBOOTcomputer

5. Go to FSX folder you just installed, right click Properties/ security and allow all permissions. I included the "Users" category.

6. REBOOT computer

7. Open as Administrator

8. In START \RUN\Services.msc\Windows Installer  Start it again if not running (as above)

9. Install FSX Acceleration. It already contains SP1 and SP2 so don't have to download/ install those

10. ERROR CODE 1-80004005 comes up on starting FSX. Yes to online query, it starts up, but only gives you the trial version.

To Fix, you have to change the registry.

Registry Disclaimer:

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

EASIEST METHOD to back up: Create a System Restore Point before going any further

NEXT, edit the registry:

a. Click Start and type regedit in the search bar and press Enter.

b. Browse to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\CLASS\{4D36E967-  E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

c. Find Upperfilters listed under it, and check its value, if its 0 change it to PartMgr and click OK. Mine said partmgr (lower case) so I switched it to PartMgr

d. Restart FSX. Should get Activation screen. Choose "Activate Now" and enter Product Key.

Close, reboot, and restart FSX to be safe.

If you have some cash to spare, install the Steam version instead. I bought a laptop some weeks ago (the one in my signature); the first thing I did was to install it. No issues at all, just remember to use windowed mode.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
Spelling
  • Like 2

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

FSX Steam Edition runs smoother, handles its usable memory limit better, is easier to install, and requires no modifications to the cfg file.  Just saying.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.