Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

FSLTL install errors.

8 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thanks Cpt.  I just read through the entire thread.  It appears it didn't help this person.

He had to do a reinstall.

So my next question is how do I uninstall MSFS?

And then I guess I have to go to the MS Store and reinstall but when I reinstall will it give me a choice to where to install it?

I would recommend a reinstall, yes. It will take a few hours, but it will save a lot of headaches in the long run. 

Uninstalling is easy: just go to Windows settings - Apps - Installed apps. Choose MSFS from the menu, click on the three dots at the right then choose uninstall. Or: open the Xbox app, select MSFS, click the three dots at the right, then uninstall. 

Upon installing again, it's very important you select a custom installation when prompted. 

Now, there is a way to save many hours upon reinstall. And it's not that difficult. All the files that are included in MSFS (hundreds of GBs) are located here: C:>Users>Jack>AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe>LocalCache>Packages>Official>OneStore

If you make a copy of the Official\OneStore folder in your planned MSFS installation folder, it will not need to reinstall everything again. 

E.g.: I have MSFS in C:\MSFS. Copy the Onestore folder so the path is like this: C:\MSFS\Official\Onestore. 

When you install again from the Xbox app, the only thing that is needed to download is the installer itself, around 1GB. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I would recommend a reinstall, yes. It will take a few hours, but it will save a lot of headaches in the long run. 

Uninstalling is easy: just go to Windows settings - Apps - Installed apps. Choose MSFS from the menu, click on the three dots at the right then choose uninstall. 

Upon installing again, it's very important you select a custom installation when prompted. 

Now, there is a way to save many hours upon reinstall. And it's not that difficult. All the files that are included in MSFS (hundreds of GBs) are located here: C:>Users>Jack>AppData>Local>Packages>Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe>LocalCache>Packages>Official>OneStore

If you make a copy of the Official\OneStore folder in your planned MSFS installation folder, it will not need to reinstall everything again. 

E.g.: I have MSFS in C:\MSFS. Copy the Onestore folder so the path is like this: C:\MSFS\Official\Onestore. 

When you install again from the Xbox app, the only thing that is needed to download is the installer itself, around 1GB. 

Thank you again sir.  

I just tried to copy the OneStore folder to a separate drive called L, and again, "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here."  So I can't even copy it.  It has a lock icon on it. 🤔

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thank you again sir.  

I just tried to copy the OneStore folder to a separate drive called L, and again, "Your organization does not allow you to place this file here."  So I can't even copy it.  It has a lock icon on it. 🤔

They really don't make it easy for the end user, do they... 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi T45.  I wish I knew what locked it.  I see little arrow icons and some lock icons on most folders.  I can delete anything in the Community folder but that’s it.  
I really appreciate your help.

Perhaps pick a Community  folder folder  in File Manager with a lock on it, then right mouse click on the folder & then select "Properties" in the drop down menu & look through the Tabs to see if anything to do with, say, Security, is ticked.

T45

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cpt_Piett said:

They really don't make it easy for the end user, do they... 

No and I don't understand why.

So now I'll have to reinstall every last thing?  I have the PMDG 600/700, FlyByWife Bell, and the rest is just Orbx stuff.  But what I'm really concerned about is like I said, my key bindings to my VirtualFly stuff and all the settings I changed and the sensitivities.  I reckon I could just screenshot all these.

Now I hope the system even lets me uninstall it 😂

Jack Sawyer

1 minute ago, Treetops45 said:

Perhaps pick a Community  folder folder  in File Manager with a lock on it, then right mouse click on the folder & then select "Properties" in the drop down menu & look through the Tabs to see if anything to do with, say, Security, is ticked.

T45

Yes sir T45, me and a friend did that over the phone last night.  When I tried to match his Security settings Windows wouldn't let me.  Its very frustrating but when it's finally resolved it'll probably look simple in hindsight.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

Hi Cpt.  

I have to do a lot of work before I uninstall and I’m going to do it, your advice has been terrific.

But I just noticed something.

I click on the Start button > Right Click Microsoft Flight Simulator > Hover the mouse over More > Left Click on App settings and I see a screen I’ve never seen before. 

I see “App permissions.” And It’s On.

Could this mean anything important?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Jack Sawyer

8 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hm, don't know. I don't have that option. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi Cpt.  

I have to do a lot of work before I uninstall and I’m going to do it, your advice has been terrific.

I click on the Start button > Right Click Microsoft Flight Simulator > Hover the mouse over More > Left Click on App settings and I see a screen I’ve never seen before. 

Thanks.

If you can, turn "App Permissions" off & then see if the Lock symbols have gone.

I will have a look at my setup re your Menu trail above, a bit later today & report back.

My inclination would be to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling MSFS.

I would put FSTL aside for a few days in case the issue is there & they fix it.

The uninstall/reinstall route may leave you bald😀 For me it is a last resort.

T45

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

The uninstall/reinstall route may leave you bald😀 For me it is a last resort.

He is not able to add anything to the community folder, which could complicate things not only with FSLTL but many other addons. 

15 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi, I think it's because my Community folder is locked, encrypted.  Other people I know can add to and remove files from their Community folders but I can't.  They can even drag their Community folders to the desktop or anywhere else on their PC but Windows tells me it's not allowed or something.  The only thing I can do is delete files in the Community folder.  But I have all permissions set to all for every drive, folder, file, etc.  No AV ever, Defender off, but I really think it's because I have the MS Store version.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Hi Cpt.  

Thanks.

I just had a look at that on my set up & my App Permissions is On, but it is labelled  Background Apps".

Which I take to mean that I can run other Apps in the background while MSFS is running.

I also noticed further down the page the  App Permissions appears on is the Option to Reset/Repair MSFS.

Have you tried that? {not Reset at this stage as it could take out your data.

T45 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

Thank you again sir.  

In this thread on the official forums someone links to a program called Unstopable Copier that he claims will work to copy the files.

There's also this official recommendation on moving the packages folders from Microsoft: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015910560-Can-I-choose-or-change-the-installation-path-Install-on-the-D-drive-instead-of-the-C-drive-for-instance-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

James

Do you start MSFS "As Administrator"? [right click on the MSFS icon on the screen & select ]

Also, a bit left field, but perhaps have a look in MSFS Profile/Content manager to see if that looks ok.

It should say how many Installed items there are, Not Installed & Updates Available. Nothing weird there?

& l;eft of left field, the drive that you have the Community Folder on, is it full?

T45

• Like 2

If you go into Windows settings, then Apps & Features, and click the 3 vertical dots to the right of the Flight Simulator entry, there is a "Move" option.

If you've got a different drive with space on it (I haven't read the entire thread, so I may have missed something), try to use it to see if it will allow you to move things after you've moved the main installation.

• Like 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440