Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Local legend 7 Cessna 195

6 hours ago, Pathfinder633 said:

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement 😁, being a free addon is usually indicative of lower quality, so the decision to not put it up for the Canadian Local Legend probably has something to do with it not coming up to expectations.

There's a free A310 coming with the 40th Anniversary update that is going to be very high quality. Being made by Inibuilds.

Most of the free planes coming with the 40th Anniversary are made by third parties that Microsoft paid for.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 hour ago, Tuskin38 said:

There's a free A310 coming with the 40th Anniversary update that is going to be very high quality. Being made by Inibuilds.

Most of the free planes coming with the 40th Anniversary are made by third parties that Microsoft paid for.

But we've seen with the Carenado aircraft released as Famous Flyers and Local Legends that they have been cut down in features compared to the Carenado own brand releases. There seems an obvious risk that MS/Asobo might do something similar with the Anniversary aircraft.

To answer my own question, after opting to purchase the C195 as I am a sucker for Radial aircraft - No, the Keyboard AP doesn't work.

I had  look in the file structure & there is no System.cfg file, so you can't get in & tweak for an AP.

Appears that the MSFS C195 is a somewhat emasculated version of the P3D version.

Pity.

T45

To be fair, the textures are good, sound is good & the engine has some power.

It is nicely balanced in the air & has that retro vibe.

AvAngel's review points out some of the things that are missing from the P3D version

T45

55 minutes ago, keithb77 said:

Can you create a System.cfg file with AP entries in it?...

Not sure.

However, I have found a serviceable substitute  "AP", - The Flight Assistance A1 Pilot!

Read about it elsewhere & it works.

Basically, take the C195, [& I suspect, any MSFS aircraft without an AP], & fly it to the altitude you want, on the heading you want & settle it down at the speed you want.

Then in the top of the MSFS screen menu find the Captains Cap, drop down the Flight Assistance menu & then slide the A1 Pilot slider to turn it on.

This appears to lock your speed, Hdng & Alt settings as they were at the moment you turned the A1 Pilot on.

It is important to be flying level, if you have a climb going it may lock that in.

I tested it in a 4 kt cross wind & it held everything steady.

Going to Live Weather & a 20kt wind at 2 O'clock had it bouncing a bit, but it held the Hdng & Alt & Speed.

All I need for long trips while my eyes are rested.😄

T45

• Like 1

I’ve bought it in all my the other sims but am wondering if one can land it and keep it relatively straight on landing without fishtailing back and forth at a 80 degree angle (something that in all fairness I experience with some planes both tricycle geared and taildraggers but not others)?

1 hour ago, Republic DC9 said:

I’ve bought it in all my the other sims but am wondering if one can land it and keep it relatively straight on landing without fishtailing back and forth at a 80 degree angle (something that in all fairness I experience with some planes both tricycle geared and taildraggers but not others)?

I've have had no problems taking off or landing.

Need to keep the rudder in play on take off.

If you get it & find its fishtailing on landing then maybe have a look at your control setting sensitivities & dampen that down a bit..

Overall, its a nice aircraft to fly & priced fairly.

T45

Edited by Treetops45
  • Like 1

Yeah, she's real smooth and easy to fly. I was surprised how well she handles on take off and landing given my experience with other tail draggers in this game!

• Like 2

a general question for anybody who has the C-195 - many many years ago I was in a syndicate (1/7th share) in VH-BVD a 195 - great fun aeroplane - now I am thinking of buying it but what I really want to know is if it has an ILS - I see it in the cockpit photos but not sure if it works.

Also for those who haven't flown one watch out for the x/winds & that long main gear makes it good fun - I had many happy hours in that old aeroplane

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

4 hours ago, Rattso said:

a general question for anybody who has the C-195 - many many years ago I was in a syndicate (1/7th share) in VH-BVD a 195 - great fun aeroplane - now I am thinking of buying it but what I really want to know is if it has an ILS - I see it in the cockpit photos but not sure if it works.

Also for those who haven't flown one watch out for the x/winds & that long main gear makes it good fun - I had many happy hours in that old aeroplane

Interesting question.

Will try & test ILS later today.

T45

5 hours ago, Rattso said:

I tried using the A1 Pilot 'AP", but to no avail.

Using EGGS I could hear the morse on 110.50 as I manually entered the Green Feathers for Rwy 22, then switched to A1 Pilot, but the A1 Pilot AP locks Hdng, Alt & Speed so it overflew at 1,800' without slowing down.

N1 & the Frequency work, but I couldn't set the approach bearing, or rather , if you are on A1 Pilot AP  & change the heading, nothing happens.

If you are not on A1 Pilot AP then there is nothing to hold it on the approach track, as far as I can find, so far.

T45

thx for that but I am not interested in flying coupled ILS's - far prefer hand flying them.

BTW the 195 was a really advanced aeroplane for it's era - lots of great little engineering bits - the one that really was just so different - now I have to try & explain this - the rear cargo hatch was held in the open position by a long coiled spring (think about 1/2" in diameter) - when it was straight it held the door - to release it you just pessed on the spring & it folded - hope that makes sorta sense

the other thing that I really liked were the "piano" key like switches on the panel - reminded me of an old Buick that I once owned

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

3 hours ago, Rattso said:

thx for that but I am not interested in flying coupled ILS's - far prefer hand flying them.

BTW the 195 was a really advanced aeroplane for it's era - lots of great little engineering bits - the one that really was just so different - now I have to try & explain this - the rear cargo hatch was held in the open position by a long coiled spring (think about 1/2" in diameter) - when it was straight it held the door - to release it you just pessed on the spring & it folded - hope that makes sorta sense

the other thing that I really liked were the "piano" key like switches on the panel - reminded me of an old Buick that I once owned

From what I have read, the designers wanted the cockpit to resemble a car interior, as best they could get it, so that new flyers familiar with cars would feel more comfortable in it.

Something like that..

T45

well I  bought it & had a heap of fun - went out to my training area & did all the standard upper air work - the aeroplane feels very much like a light twin in terms of control feel - the stalls were all straight forward with the requiste wing drop at the point of stall - easily controlable - not tried to spin it yet,

Then I flew a nice ILS - used 20" & 2500rpm - gave 120kts on the decent - in hindsight a bit too fast - will try for about 105kts next time - the landing was average - only 2 bounces but safe - after saying that - all subsequent landings got worse - the long legs have got me rounding out & holding off too high - tonight an hour of circuits are on the adgenda.

after the landings are sorted out I'm off to Canada to explore - all in all a great little single - highly recommended

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Rattso