Sign in to follow this  
january

Activation/1722 error nightmare

Guys, h/w is not the problem. I had the same thing happen to me. One minute I was flying, crash, when I restarted FSX, I had an activation issue. No changes were made in between. Only thing I can think of is that something got corrupted at the moment of the crash while it was accessing the security code "library". Given that I think I heard that the license is checked every 30 seconds (maybe less) I can understand why, as the head perhaps scratched the area. Kind of stupid if you ask me, but I'm no expert on security.Given that MS is having all these problems and getting so many complaints, hopefully they are figuring out how to improve the system, something like a raid system of 3 or 4 or more copies (similar to how CD's are written) so that if one gets corrupted, others can be checked and the corrupted one rewritten.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Guys, h/w is not the problem. I had the same thing happen to>me. One minute I was flying, crash, when I restarted FSX, I>had an activation issue. No changes were made in between. >>Only thing I can think of is that something got corrupted at>the moment of the crash while it was accessing the security>code "library". Given that I think I heard that the license>is checked every 30 seconds (maybe less) I can understand why,>as the head perhaps scratched the area. Kind of stupid if you>ask me, but I'm no expert on security.>>Given that MS is having all these problems and getting so many>complaints, hopefully they are figuring out how to improve the>system, something like a raid system of 3 or 4 or more copies>(similar to how CD's are written) so that if one gets>corrupted, others can be checked and the corrupted one>rewritten.>>Thomas>>[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com]>http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]>>I like using VC's :-)>N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180I didn't say H/W was the problem! I only stated, that unless you change out your Hardware reactivation shouldn't be a problem after running the MS 1722 Fix and reinstall!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

On Vista there is the "user account control"-which makes all these needless security prompts etc. every time you do something-and restricts access to doing others things. One of the first things I did when I got Vista was turn it off. For some reason when the sim crashed-not only did it lose the activation and then the 1722 error-when I ran the 1722 fix it would not work. Turning off the uac allowed all to work fine-now just a couple hours of work to get the sim back to the way it was. :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest UlfB

>I found the problem-the ual or administrator whatever it is>got turned on somehow by itself when I had the 1st crash.>Turning it off allowed me to finally do the 1722 fix and get>back in business. A pain for sure though.Geofa, I'm happy that you got your problem solved. I downloaded the 1722-fix from MS and ran it. And then I tried to run a repair, but the FSX installer ended with an error (the file Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msi couldn't be found on the DVD). I tried to run the DVD from my other dvd player with the same error. So the DVD seems to be damaged.At this point I took a long pause and considered my options. Would I spend time to get a dvd replacement or buy me a new FSX copy? And eventually run into the 1722 once more? Another dissapointment with FSX is that a lot of the Nordic scenery developers seem to stick to FS2004, and I really love their contribution to making Scandinavia an intresting place in FS. So all this ended up in my descision to install FS2004 and all the nice addons. After installing FSGenesis Europe and Scandiniavian mesh, UT Europe, USA, Canada, GE Pro and Vancouver+, I must say that FS2004 isn't that bad. Maybe I'll return to FSX later on, but for now I'll have a greater flight experience in the Nordic countries and Europe with FS2004. I'll certainly miss the VFR flights with the default ultra light in FSX. But flying the big payware airliners over big cities with AI traffic and still have good fps is a very nice experience.This is only my personal opinion. I still think that FSX in general is a very important and big step towards a better flight experience. But for my personal preferences it's not an option as the situation is right now.Ulf B :-)Core2Duo X6800 OC 3.3GHz, 4GB RAM8800GTX, dual view 1920x1200 and 1280x1024Creative SB X-Fi (Gamer mode)WinXP Pro SP2, FSX SP1

>>how is MS's>>activation any more onerous than the "internet activation>>required" protection built into most payware aircraft and>>add-ons these days? >>It's more onerous because it is buggy.>>>Rhett I think the "phrase" you should be using, Rhett, is FUBAR! I just suffered ( yet again ) the same problem as the original poster in this thread just before I left for a 7-week stint in Europe. No way was I about to endure the frustration of attempting to deal with M$'s incompetance vis-a-vis the "activation" procedure before I left. Even after SP1 FSX STILL checks activation during initialization. Again, 30 minutes later and again every hour on the hour mark from the initialization of FSX. Each one of these "activation" cycles causes THOUSANDS of disc access over several seconds...thus increasing the likelihood of a "crash" PORKING the installation! For my "fix" I simply Googled for the "obvious workaround". A brief download and overwriting of some DLL's and I was back in the air. I'll go through the "1722 hoops" when I return in September, but then again, maybe not! Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Do you know if an Acronis TrueImage image, if restored, would get around having to re-activate?I have an image saved of a pristine FSX install...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest UlfB

Rhett,Probably not. I would be surprised if activation/copy-protection data would be stored in a file residing within the FSX folder structure. And I don't think that any MS expert will give you any advice.Ulf B :-)

FSX,VISTA,DX10- Why do I keep having Ford Edsel flashbacks? Alex Reid

Guest UlfB

Hi all,After manually removing a folder in the WindowsInstaller folder and manually removing all references to that folder in Registry, I finally managed to install FSX and SP1. But no autogen trees, only buildings. Very strange. I did a repair install. Same problem. I then made an uninstall of FSX and manually removed remaining FSX files (the SP1 files I guess). And once more installed FSX and SP1. Seems to work allright now. It took me several days to get FSX up and running again. Now I live with a constant fear that the activation error will return any day. So I have FS2004 up and running as well and use it mainly for flying the PMGD Queen in and out of major cities and VFR flying in the scandinavian countries.I wish I could send an invoice to MS for the time spent on this installer/activation problem ;-)Ulf B :-)