Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Baggage trucks driving me bananas

This is something new since SP1. After carefully parking the airliner, it used to be that when you hit Shift+E+2, the baggage doors would open and the baggage cart would start towards your plane. Now when you do all of the above the baggage cart won't move. The oddest thing is that if you Y for slew and then hit it again to release the plane, the cart starts moving. It's almost as if the forward wheel contact point isn't totally gripping the tarmac until slew sets it down. Has anyone encountered this? Have tried default and addon planes.Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Did a search here but saw nothing like this.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I wonder if this is related to the bouncing bug several people reported a while ago. Seems like there is some round off error in deciding on whether an object is on the surface, and FS keeps searching back and forth.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Thomas, you might have hit the nail on the head. Perhaps the nosewheel is not making hard enough contact with the tarmac. When you hit Y for slew and release it, the nosewheel tends to drop solidly on the ground.I had noticed the bouncing bug, but was tending to ignore it. Now you know why I call Flight Simulator 'tweak and fly'Lee:-lol

Lee H

Guest jshyluk

SP1 seems to have made some kind of change on how FSX treats contact points to terrain, at least that's my guess. There was a sort of similar problem with the amphibious planes bouncing horribly on the water. One trick to solve it was to set your terrain mesh slider as high as it can go (1m). Seeing as airports are perfectly flat, this idea might not have any effect, but I hope it helps.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Here's another little wrinkle, it's not all airports only some. Back to scratching my head on this one.Lee

Lee H

MS worked on the round world in SP1 so certain textures at airports conformed to the ground much better then pre SP1.This has caused a shift of some scenery in relationship to other related parts of the stationary scenery at airports. The visual shift is easy to see if you look at the roads that lead into the Terminal buildings such as KMIA, KATL, or any type Terminal built in the half moon radius shape. At some airports the Hertz bus's are now parked inside the Terminal up on sidewalks because the shifting is about 1 to 3 Meters. This shift is also causing visual problems with the taxiway link lines in respect to the progressive line draw for many parking spots. If you follow the Parking path link line into a parking spot it no longer agrees with the progressive taxi line draw. The progressive taxi line draw is shifted the same amount as the roads leading into the Terminal. This means the User Plane can easily miss the invisible boundary box that is used for the animated Baggage Cart and Conveyor. If you follow the Progressive Taxi Line draw arrows into the parking spot then the call for animated ground support will normally work fine but the plane is no longer aligning properly to the Pushback Tug.The shift is more severe North or South rather the East and West. If the parking spot has a heading of 090 or 270 the shift is seen moving to the North or to the South based on hemisphere. This is why some parking spots (heading 000/180) are not effected as much as others.The problem of certain airport scenery shifting is also carring over to the AI Planes. What is happening here is at some airports when the AI Plane comes out of Sleep state/mode and then Transitions to FP state and then to pre-clearence, the Conveyor never moves toward the AI Plane. This causes the AI Plane to never get a push back command so the plane just sits at the Gate and times out. That causes a disappear eventually.If you slide the Airport animated Vehicle Density slider down to None then the AI will come out of Pre-Clearence mode and start a pushback.

Jim, you are so right. I had noticed the AI acting a bit weird in places. Is there a solution?By the way thanks to you for your brilliant airport updates in FS9 and now FSX. Your work makes a huge difference. I still marvel at your LDA approach for Honolulu in FS9 and your Kai Tak update. Keep bringing it on.Lee

Lee H

Ah, round earth correction.Lee there is a baggage truck contact point fix in the file library, but I am not sure if it will solve the problem entirely. I have installed it and at least now I don't notice the trucks bouncing anymore.I think with the SP1 fixes, this is one of those situations where "fixing A has affected B".RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It sounds like my first guess was incorrect (though maybe related), and it's not a contact point issue.When you come turn slew off, do you see a sideways shift as well as a downward shift of the airplane? Perhaps turning slew off causes the plane to be attracted to the "moved" detection box? (I assume not, but just wondering).It sounds like we need to make a list of the offending airports and adjust their afcad data to fix this?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

I see just the downward shift of the nosewheel using slew. Even just hitting Y in those airports starts the baggage cart, which I find strange. I think Jim's assessment of airports that are more 90-270 degrees is correct, for instance LAX has some problem parking areas whereas Singapore which is closer to 000-180 degrees does not.We have our work cut out for us. Remember, I call it 'tweak and fly':-coolLee

Lee H