Sign in to follow this  
grajay

FSX Vista Installation Problem

Guest V-Pilot

Hello all,I have just upgraded my computer to Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit edition), and I have been trying very hard to get Flight Simulator X to work on my computer, but I have been having some major installation issues with my favorite software.Whenever I go to install Flight Simulator X, it gets to the "Preparing Installation" stage before the InstallShield Wizard is even launched. There, the bar moves about 3/4 of the way across the window, and then I get a Windows error message that reads "IDriverT module has failed." Next the "Preparing Installation" window closes, and is replaced with a message reading "error 1628: failed to complete the installation."I have tried everything I can think of to get FSX running, but nothing seems to have worked. I continue to get the same error over and over.My system specs are as follows:Compaq Presario V2000ZAMD Turion64 ML-37 2.0 GHz processor (single core)1GB DDR RAM32GB free on C:ATI Radeon Xpress 200M with 128MB DDR RAMATI integrated audio (SB400)Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit editionI am well aware that this is a very modest system, however it considerably surpasses the requirements stated on the back of the Flight Simulator X package.Flight Simulator X actually worked very well in Windows XP, so I am assuming that this is a Vista specific problem.Please help me overcome this dilemma! I am dying to start flying again!Thank you,Chris

Guest firehawk44

I did a search on AVSIM for "error 1628" and one indiv stated his DVD drive was the problem. He installed a new one and no longer received the error. If you have another CD/DVD drive, try reinstalling FSX there.Best regards,Jim

Guest V-Pilot

Jim:Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately, trying a different drive didn't work (I do have a second drive). From what I've observed, the problem lies within the OS, because the hard drive is working in this stage, but the disk drive is not. I have done hundreds (literally) of searches throughout the entire internet trying to find someone else who has had a similar issue to me, but I have had no luck so far. All I've found out is that the IDriverT module is part of the Windows Installer Engine (version 4.0 in Vista), and it cannot be re-downloaded or reinstalled. Also, error 1628 basically means that InstallShield crashed for reasons unknown.If anyone else has any suggestions or ideas of what might be going on, please respond. I really miss the virtual skies!Thank you,Chris

Guest V-Pilot

Since very few people have looked at this message, especially in comparison to many others, is there anywhere else in the AVSIM forums I may want to post my problem?Thank you,Chris

Guest V-Pilot

Nothing? :(Chris

Guest sinpo

This will probably sound disappointing, but ...1. Why Vista 64 ??? No advantages at all, hundreds problems with many drivers ... If you really MUST have Vista, than use 32bit.This is for solving installation problem, but than other problems start:2. Processor too slow for FSX , Graphic Card too weak, for FSX under Vista 2GB RAM treat as a minimum... don't believe what M$ declare as minimum, with this rig you could not fly (at least under Vista) as nice as you probably expect!Sorry for bad news :( Sin

Guest V-Pilot

>1. Why Vista 64 ??? No advantages at all, hundreds problems>with many drivers ... If you really MUST have Vista, than use>32bit.No driver issues here!>2. Processor too slow for FSX ,This may be wrong, but since the processor is technically a mobile processor, I believe it equates to a 3.7 GHz non-mobile processor. >Graphic Card too weak, for FSXI doubt it, with DX10, I have 319MB of RAM used for the video card.>under Vista 2GB RAM treat as a minimum...I literally just put another 1GB of RAM into the machine (so it now totals 2GB).>don't believe what M$ declare as minimumI think that that statement could be applied to a wider spectrum of companies. :DDespite the fact that the comment did little to help me, I'd like to thank you for responding anyways.Chris

Sorry but I can't offer a solution other than to suggest you address the problem to one of the Microsoft Newsgroups - you may find a MS MVP who can give you a solution.I too upgraded from XP Pro but to Vista 32bit and I held my breath and kept everything crossed that there'd be no issues - fortunately there weren't any, other than the unual uninstall of FSX etx necessitated by SP1.Good luck.