Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Potential cause of recurrent 1-2 second "shimmy"?

Not sure when this started, but I have this brief shimmy/vibration that happens maybe every 15-30 seconds during taxi.  Main thread, GPU utilization, VRAM and frame rate stays fine and animation in-between this brief anomalies it's perfectly fluid.  I don't have any other AV software beyond Defender, and using the TechPowerUP Counter Control doesn't have any affect on it.   I think it happens more when turning while taxi, and may happen while in the air but not noticing it.  I seem to have plenty of headroom so it doesn't seem like I'm too close to seeing either CPU or GPU to threaten maintaining 30fps by vsync.  I am careful to keep T-LOD low enough to keep frame rate stable.  Current NV driver, DX11.

Thanks in advance

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Not sure when this started, but I have this brief shimmy/vibration that happens maybe every 15-30 seconds during taxi.  Main thread, GPU utilization, VRAM and frame rate stays fine and animation in-between this brief anomalies it's perfectly fluid.  I don't have any other AV software beyond Defender, and using the TechPowerUP Counter Control doesn't have any affect on it.   I think it happens more when turning while taxi, and may happen while in the air but not noticing it.  I seem to have plenty of headroom so it doesn't seem like I'm too close to seeing either CPU or GPU to threaten maintaining 30fps by vsync.  I am careful to keep T-LOD low enough to keep frame rate stable.  Current NV driver, DX11.

Thanks in advance

I know what a shimmy is, but I‘ve no idea how that would look in a flight sim. Are you talking about a stutter?
Anyway Windows Defender can perfectly create stutters while scanning. Try to exclude the MSFS folders and the .exe and see if it goes away.

I think I know what You mjean.

After simupdate 10 and with the Nvidia Studio driver 517.40 isnatlled ontop of the old driver, I had brief shimmer effects caused by the video slightly jittering for a brief moment, mostly caued when the menu bar "T" appeared.

Installing the NVidia 517.48 Game ready driver ontop of the Study driver, did not resolve this.

I then re-installed the 517.48 Game ready driver, but this time as "User defined" and the checking the clean install option.

After this I have not experienced this shimmer effect - could be a coincidens though.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

5 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

I know what a shimmy is, but I‘ve no idea how that would look in a flight sim. Are you talking about a stutter?
Anyway Windows Defender can perfectly create stutters while scanning. Try to exclude the MSFS folders and the .exe and see if it goes away.

These are poorly defined ideas but this is not what I've ever called stuttering.  From start to stop this lasts about one second, and if you can imagine a 1 second period where there it shakes or vibrates in a tiny range but enough to notice.  I'll try your suggestion but I've used Defender with no untoward effects like this forever so doubtful it's that.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

9 hours ago, Noel said:

Thanks in advance

If you are using FS Realistic try with it disabled (there is a button inside the program to disabled it) so you can be sure it's not one of it's effects causing the issue.

• Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Thanks, not using FS Realistic and did exclude MSFS folders inc the one w/ the .exe from Defender and so far no luck.  I need some kind of monitoring tool perhaps.   It seems like a polling action that happens regularly but no clues yet.  I think I will go ahead and do the clean install option on the latest GPU driver but this issue preceded updating to the new driver.  Could be a setting in NVCP is doing this so I know the clean install resets that back so will try no settings in NVCP and see if I can isolate it there.

Noel

Are you talking about a dutch roll or phugioid oscillation possibly?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

phugioid

Hehe.....love that word....but it is one of the most phugly words in the English language!  One of my least phavorite ways to pronounce the F sound.  I have no phreaking idea why the phounding phathers of this phanstic language thought to include this phrivilous way of making the F sound...I thought the F by itself was working just...well................. phine. 🤣

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

3 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Hehe.....love that word....but it is one of the most phugly words in the English language!  One of my least phavorite ways to pronounce the F sound.  I have no phreaking idea why the phounding phathers of this phanstic language thought to include this phrivilous way of making the F sound...I thought the F by itself was working just...well................. phine. 🤣

English is what happens when you mix German, Latin, and Greek all together in a big bowl and say "ta-da!!"

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I phind I get some shimmers in low light conditions, which I might have identified as VRR phlickering. It cannot be recorded as it's a "pheature" of VRR on some TVs/monitors. 

But it sounds like OP is more talking about shimmy as in some kind of vibration? A landing gear shimmy perhaps? 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

4 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

But it sounds like OP is more talking about shimmy as in some kind of vibration?

It is really just that, a vibration, a shaking very slightly back and forth maybe 6-8 times per second when it hits.  I did a clean install (per NV's installer) and also discovered Process Lasso had its session agent as an active service so got rid of that and will see if it helps.  In fact PL has been nothing but trouble for MSFS.  It was useful for P3D but not here, so I just uninstalled it as well.

Noel

I saw this vibration today also on a bumpy taxi road, is this some new addition in SU-10?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I don't know if I would use the same terminology but I've seen something like this but only when panning.

it is in fact in my case caused by a slight drop in FPS due to the panning with Vsync on at 30hz.

In my case I had tuned this out so my panning was as smooth at looking straight ahead.

However, with the same setting this brief micro stutter (that's what I'd call it) appeared when

I was trying out DX12. It was a flight from KJFK to CYYZ yesterday. I tried the same flight with the same setting

today with DX11 and it was much better. That's my two cents worth