Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

graphics settings

I have been simming for over 20 yrs and frames me Nothing, smoothness is what matters and nothing else, this is not a race car or one person shooter when u are concerned about frames.

• Like 1

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Agreed that chasing frames can be pointless. 30fps if it's rock solid with no stutters is going to trump 40-50 fps that is jumping around. You'll see it like a sore thumb. But....if you CAN hit 60fps and above smoothly, it will be a much more fluid experience than 30fps. A lot will depend on resolution, detail and where and what you fly. Big jets, big airports, cities with lots of digital displays - performance is hit. Light aircraft with steam gauges in the middle of nowhere- bliss. Get it locked to a consistent frame rate for your flying is the key.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips!  I'm not too concerned with hitting a magical FPS, and definitely would prefer a nice, smooth experience over a specified FPS.  I did end up changing texture resolution to 'high' from 'ultra'.  My GPU only has 8 GB RAM, and I noticed my peak usage was 9 something.

Do you guys happen to know about the AMD Fidelity sharpening setting?  Mine was at 140, but I put it to 100.  Not sure this does anything if I'm running at 100% resolution, or does it always have some effect?

On 10/7/2022 at 3:56 AM, zorro747 said:

Hello, guys!  Just have a question regarding the link which was give above: https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2022/09/21/performance-boost-tricks/

There is an instruction to:

As far as my hard drive is getting full I decided to delete the files. But now I am a bit concerned if I should have done it. 

A while ago I was flying over the Alps and an was amazed how the rocks were looking. But yesterday I flew again over the alps and I thought that they did not look like before. I don't know, maybe nothing has been changed and I just think that it has. Or indeed the deleted files affected somehow the mountains look. 

What do you think?

I don't think that it's the deleted files that are causing this.  I had ANTI ALIASING set to NVIDIA DLSS and NVIDIA DLSS set to PERFORMANCE and it caused blurry mountain and terrain depiction. 

\Robert Hamlich/

I have the same specs and have brought my clouds down to high rather than ultra and it made a huge difference with stuttering.  I always get 45-60 fps but the stutters were concerning.  I never imagined the difference between ultra and high clouds could make such a difference.

• Like 1

You know, ASOBO's CEO Sébastien Wloch has the following hardware:

CPU I7 7900K

GPU Nvidia 2060 Super

RAM 32GB

so... I think you're better off...??

(BTW  I remember his hardware cause it's same as mine,  AND I HAVE ALMOST EVERYTHING MAXED, with average FPS 30 but also silky smooth!!!😁)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aniiran said:

I have the same specs and have brought my clouds down to high rather than ultra and it made a huge difference with stuttering.  I always get 45-60 fps but the stutters were concerning.  I never imagined the difference between ultra and high clouds could make such a difference.

Thanks, this is a setting I'll keep an eye on.  Things seem OK with ultra clouds, but I can drop down to high if I run into issues.  I also dropped my texture res down to high since I think it was using a lot of VRAM on ultra, and I set the texture synthesis to high as well.  Supersampling is now at 4x4 since I read 6x6 doesn't matter if running 16x filtering.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:55 PM, Roy Warren said:

I just set my Rendering Resolution to 100 and it now shows 1920x1009 which is close to my screen resolution of 1920x1080.

Do you run in windowed mode or full screen mode? That may be why at 100 it doesn't exactly match your screen resolution.

James

6 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

Do you run in windowed mode or full screen mode? That may be why at 100 it doesn't exactly match your screen resolution.

Windowed  I'll try full screen and see what happens

Thanks

Roy

Edit:  That did it. Now matches.

Edited by Roy Warren

On 10/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, SpaceForceCapt said:

I'm not too concerned with hitting a magical FPS

We do need a bare minimum FPS else the intervals are very visible.  For most, 30 is sufficient, for some even less than that.   Then there are those who appear to only care about more FPS and will cough up $1,000s to get there.  I'm stoked w/ 30 if it's ultra smooth and stutter-free that is what is hugely visible, whereas a few more FPS, isn't.  Right now w/ my hardware 30FPS is really even more than it can handle so have to dial back T-LOD.  And since the fresh PMDG 737 update that isn't even cutting it now.  After a major Win 10 resinstall where I again had fabulously smooth and solid performance now it's stuttering here and there even up in the air w/ low loads on the CPU.  I have to assume it's the PMDG update as that is the only change done in the last 24h.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 10/12/2022 at 6:38 PM, Roy Warren said:

Windowed  I'll try full screen and see what happens

Thanks

Roy

Edit:  That did it. Now matches.

Just remember you can quickly swap between windowed and full screen by hitting Alt-Enter.

James

I guess clouds on ultra is pretty intensive.  I dialed that back to high, and my fps is a bit better.  I did notice that in cloudy areas, it was down around 30 fps, with drops even lower.  Basically, right now, the only thing I have on ultra is 'off screen terrain precaching', as I've read that doesn't lower the fps?  Things seems pretty good 😁