Sign in to follow this  
SpaceForceCapt

graphics settings

What do you all think of these settings?  I'm running an HP Omen Obelisk, 32 GB RAM, i7-8700, Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB.  I'm getting around 40-50 fps with these.  Just wondering if I'm overlooking anything or should tweak?  Thanks!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You might try lowering your Render Scale to 1920x1080, which is standard HD. Your Render Scale now (2550x1440) perfectly matched your screen resolution -- which is great. But you might be able to increase FPS above your already-excellent numbers by cutting the resolution slightly. You probably couldn't tell the difference visually, but your FPS might increase appreciably, as it does on my computer when I cut down the Render Scale. But you're already getting great performance. So I'm not sure I'd change anything at all.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

30 minutes ago, David Mills said:

So I'm not sure I'd change anything at all.

As he said 🙂

• Like 2

Bert

Thanks!  I'll see how it goes.  When I tweaked things, I just did a quick test flight out of Cleveland, so not a super busy airport or anything.  Plus, the weather was clear with some scattered clouds.  I'll see if my fps takes a hit under different conditions.

• Like 2

Change 'Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching' to Ultra.  It has no performance effect and you won't get as much pop-ins when panning or looking to the sides.

• Like 4

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

You may get more fps if ambient occlusion is turned off.

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, SpaceForceCapt said:

I'll see if my fps takes a hit under different conditions.

My advice: screw fps. Don't look at fps but simply at how smooth it looks and feels. That's all that matters.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tup61 said:

My advice: screw fps. Don't look at fps but simply at how smooth it looks and feels. That's all that matters.

How true, amazes  me  how  users  are  so  fixated  on  fps think  they spend  most of  their  time  watching  the  fps  rather  than  flying  🙂

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hello, guys!  Just have a question regarding the link which was give above: https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2022/09/21/performance-boost-tricks/

There is an instruction to:

As far as my hard drive is getting full I decided to delete the files. But now I am a bit concerned if I should have done it. 

A while ago I was flying over the Alps and an was amazed how the rocks were looking. But yesterday I flew again over the alps and I thought that they did not look like before. I don't know, maybe nothing has been changed and I just think that it has. Or indeed the deleted files affected somehow the mountains look. 

What do you think?

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

On 10/3/2022 at 8:14 PM, David Mills said:

You might try lowering your Render Scale to 1920x1080, which is standard HD. Your Render Scale now (2550x1440) perfectly matched your screen resolution -- which is great. But you might be able to increase FPS above your already-excellent numbers by cutting the resolution slightly. You probably couldn't tell the difference visually, but your FPS might increase appreciably, as it does on my computer when I cut down the Render Scale. But you're already getting great performance. So I'm not sure I'd change anything at all.

David.  Please explain Render Scaling to me.  I have no idea what it means or how to change it.  Mine is set to 100 and it says resolution 1344x756, so it's different than what  his at 100. (2550x1440). My Full Screen Resolution is 1920x1080.

Roy

I've tried lowering the game res and activate NIS (Nvidea image scaling) and maybe something was missing but didn't notice an FPS change, but i find the it looked better. 

Edited by Maniac

3 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

David.  Please explain Render Scaling to me.  I have no idea what it means or how to change it.  Mine is set to 100 and it says resolution 1344x756, so it's different than what  his at 100. (2550x1440). My Full Screen Resolution is 1920x1080.

Roy

Render scaling at 100% means the sim will calculate as many pixels as required to fill your native monitor resolution. Which is why at 100%, yours is 1344x756 (the resolution your monitor is set to) and his is 100% at 2550x1440. If you drop your render resolution to 50%, the sim will be calculating half the amount of pixels but still displaying them on the 1344x756 screen resolution. In effect, the sim works less hard and you get more performance. 

You can of course go the other way in some games/titles and work the internal render ABOVE 100% on the same resolution and you may get a slightly crisper image. Varies according to title really. 

You say you're getting around 50fps with vsync locked to 100% of monitor refresh rate. That MAY bring some weird graphical glitches occasionally, but again, as someone else said, if it feels good, then it probably IS good and you could chase your tail all day long on this stuff. Your terrain level of detail at 150 is probably the biggest FPS hit. Drop it to 100/120 and you may find you'll get near 50-60 FPS. Again, all about compromise without throwing serious hardware at it.

You've also got an NVIDIA card so you could try DLSS now rather than TAA antialiasing. Try it on quality or balanced, you may get some more FPS back.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

Roy

Roy,

I refer you to the @Tork_Curve answer above. He did a better job of explaining than I ever could.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

7 hours ago, Tork_Curve said:

Render scaling at 100% means the sim will calculate as many pixels as required to fill your native monitor resolution. Which is why at 100%, yours is 1344x756 (the resolution your monitor is set to) and his is 100% at 2550x1440. If you drop your render resolution to 50%, the sim will be calculating half the amount of pixels but still displaying them on the 1344x756 screen resolution. In effect, the sim works less hard and you get more performance. 

You can of course go the other way in some games/titles and work the internal render ABOVE 100% on the same resolution and you may get a slightly crisper image. Varies according to title really. 

You say you're getting around 50fps with vsync locked to 100% of monitor refresh rate. That MAY bring some weird graphical glitches occasionally, but again, as someone else said, if it feels good, then it probably IS good and you could chase your tail all day long on this stuff. Your terrain level of detail at 150 is probably the biggest FPS hit. Drop it to 100/120 and you may find you'll get near 50-60 FPS. Again, all about compromise without throwing serious hardware at it.

You've also got an NVIDIA card so you could try DLSS now rather than TAA antialiasing. Try it on quality or balanced, you may get some more FPS back.

Thanks for the explanation, but I think some of the numbers you referred to are from the original poster, but I now understand how it works.

I just set my Rendering Resolution to 100 and it now shows 1920x1009 which is close to my screen resolution of 1920x1080.

I also have VSYNC On and it says 50% Monitor Refresh Rate.

Roy