Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

What defines "Wide Body"?

Guest allblack

twin-aisles?ThanksTimNZWNPS: No fat jokes please....

Guest Bob I

Hi Tim,Well now, that is a good question. I think we need to go back a few years to get what I think is a good answer. I retired in 1990 after 42 years in the aviation manufacturing/maintenance business. Prior to about 1960, most all passenger aircraft had a two-two seating in the cabin. However, when the Lockheed L1011, the DC10, and the B747 came along we just naturally called them Wide Body airframes for lack of a better description, cuz they sure had wide Bodies. How do that sound?Regards,Bob Irvine... in sunny Florida

most all passenger aircraft had a two-two seating in the cabinI remember some DC-8 military charters with 4x3 seating - they were tight for that long trip from Travis to Saigon.

>twin-aisles?>>Thanks>Tim>NZWN>>PS: No fat jokes please....Correct twin isles