Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX without DX10 what will I miss

If I don't get Vista and thus can't use DX10 what will I miss? How long could this be an sensible option for the flightsimmer? Will the time come when nobody uses DX9 more and all new FSX addons will require DX10? If so when?

No one knows what you will miss until the DX10 patch is released somewhere in the fall (hopefully...). At this moment you are missing nothing. ;) But even after the release of the DX10 patch I don't expect DX10-only addons to flood the market. DX9 will be standard at least until the next version of FS, if that may ever be released. So there is no need to worry. Yet.

Guest V-Pilot

The developers at Microsoft are actually working on a watered down version of DX10 for Windows XP. That should work about the same with FSX as the Vista version. You shouldn't miss much if you stick with XP, at least not for a couple of years.From what I understand, DX10 will allow you to move your FSX sliders to the right a bit more without sacrificing framerates.Thanks,Chris

I'm sitting here scratching my head and wondering, just what "add-on" could possibly be made "DX10 only?"FSX is what will use DX10 (if available), not any add-on! *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>The developers at Microsoft are actually working on a watered>down version of DX10 for Windows XP.Since Phil has posted quite extensively - not to mention emphatically! - that this is not within the range of possibility, where on earth did you come up with this?

Fr. Bill    

Guest christian

Given in the light that some new DX10 games have been a dissapointment, ie graphics no better and fps worse, one has to wonder. Not saying this will be the case for FSX + DX10 patch, but in the meantime I would recommend you just enjoy your current setup and don't worry about the grass being greener on the other side.No one knows what's in store for us, ACES are in the middle of DX10 development, even they probably don't know yet how it's going to turn out.Christian

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Ignorance or more probably troll bait.

Guest V-Pilot

Like I said, this watered down version of DX10 isn't going to be fully featured, and is going to be closer to DX9 than DX10. From what I've heard from my friends who work at Microsoft, it's in the early stages, and is very basic. I do know, however, that it exists. Getting back to the topic of this thread, having DX10 really shouldn't matter much since FSX was designed using the DX9 platform. The biggest difference between DX9 and DX10 is increased performance.And as for DX10-only aircraft: Since FSX was NOT designed using the DX10 platform, it makes sense to say that the aircraft that work within the simulator also do not use this platform. In fact, it would be near impossible to get DX10-only aircraft into FSX, considering that FSX would need to be edited quite extensively.Just my two cents.Thanks,Chris

>From what I've heard from my friends who work at Microsoft,If I were you I would quickly change the friends who feed you this crap.Michael J.

>Like I said, this watered down version of DX10 isn't going to>be fully featured, and is going to be closer to DX9 than DX10.>From what I've heard from my friends who work at Microsoft,>it's in the early stages, and is very basic. I do know,>however, that it exists. MS is not working on any form of DX10 for WinXP. There is an "open source" wannabe being coded, but if you read Phil's blog (and the other posts here for that matter), you'd quickly see that this has been discussed and throughly debunked already.>And as for DX10-only aircraft: Since FSX was NOT designed>using the DX10 platform, it makes sense to say that the>aircraft that work within the simulator also do not use this>platform. In fact, it would be near impossible to get>DX10-only aircraft into FSX, considering that FSX would need>to be edited quite extensively.You do realize that there are a lot of professional and freeware folks here who design and develop content for FSX, right? ALL scenery and aircraft add-ons for the sim run IN the sim's environment, and have absolutely no contact with the video card. Period.Baring a miracle from on High, a "DX10 add-on" is as impossible as a pregnant virgin.As for the original question, even if the "DX10 update" only had "DX10 stuff" in it, installing it wouldn't hurt. FSX simply wouldn't use any of those bit unless (a) Vista was installed and (:( one has a DX10 video card.However, it's been stated many times already that there will be "some" additional bug fixes in the next update.

Fr. Bill    

People seem to not have a basic idea of how computers work and this leads to ignorant remarks such as "DX10 on WinXP is COMING SOON by some hackers!!!" and other crap comments as people have only a half-intelligent idea on what's going on. If you are one of these people, let me share with you what I have found out through years of asking questions how certain pieces work and why they're important. After sorting through the bull**** answers and getting good answers, this is what I've come up with.In a computer there are many parts to work. The CPU does the generic computations and calculations and memory storage/retrieval, the sound card/processor handles all audio, the video card all the video post-processing and effects non-basic to the running of the operating system, the network interface device handling all the high-speed data transfers to and from the computer to a network and so on and so forth.There is a component on the motherboard that does very low level data handling and instructions to the hardware called the CMOS (the BIOS for some). The operating system talks to this BIOS to get it to do the more fancy stuff. The operating system has libraries of functions to tell it and expand it's abilities. You want a game to draw something on the screen, you would use something like a DirectX library or an OpenGL library. Windows/Linux/etc. after loading the library into its memory (thus the system32 directory for 32-bit programmed DLLs and utility programs) will know what a program is wanting it to do when the program requests a function in the library to do something.DirectX is a library that has been expanded for many years, decades in fact. As Microsoft has made progress enough to warrant an advertisement that "There is something completely better and new that will make your experience better" they add 1 to the previous version. There have been at least 10 different leaps and bounds. From DX7 to DX8, we have the introduction primarily of model shaders. From DX8 to DX9 we have vast performance increases and visual betterment as well as a more standardized set of rules for how video cards should think. Now with DX10 we have raised the level of detail (thus need bigger engines in our video card's processors and more memory to store the information they need), made features such as HDR and other high-end gaming features standard.The game/programs that people make call these libraries of functions, some in the operating system itself (for variable types, file functions and other routine items that the operating system has to do) and others in the addon libraries like DirectX/OpenGL. The program talks to the operating system, the operating system to the CMOS and the CMOS to the hardware. The hardware carries out its instructions and you have the end result coming out of your speakers and monitor.DX10 is nothing more than another layer on top of DX9. They built a 10th floor on an existing 9 floor building. But in order to do so, they had to get a massive crane and lift the building up, re-do the foundation a bit to hold the extra story and make it a little more firm for future additions.The extra foundation work is why DX10 can not be made into WinXP. The foundation work was designed to be used in the VISTA environment with VISTA file structures and VISTA library calls and VISTA features that are complete redesigns from the WINXP way of doing things. In a way, DX10 is a langauge used to talk to the computer. That language has advanced from the Basic Chineese of DX9 to the Advanced Chinees of DX10. There is no exact translation possible, word for word, phrase for phrase which a computer requires. When you call a function by name and that function doesn't exist, you get a nice little error message. Back in the Win98 days, you got the beloved Blue Screen of Death.This idea of DX10 on WinXP came from the misunderstanding of what the hackers are attempting. They're basically intercepting the library function calls of the games and converting the calls into DX9 library calls. Where a call for a function doesn't exist in DX9, they simply do nothing at all and make the game think the function went smoothly. They are trying to write a translation book for Advanced Chineese to Basic Chineese. There just isn't any simple way of doing it and things can and do get lost in translation. The problem with a computer losing things in translation is usually the game or program doesn't function as intended and you have major glitches and bugs that can't be fixed by anyone. The author's can't fix the game and can't redesign the library to add in the non-functioning or updated function calls.If anyone reads this post and has anything to add, please do so. The more people know about how their computer works, the less wrong assumptions they make about what microsoft isn't doing that ####### them off or the more they realize how stupid their extremely high expectations are when looking from the programmer's perspective.Aaron W. Parsons

Guest V-Pilot

>MS is not working on any form of DX10 for WinXP. There>is an "open source" wannabe being coded, but if you>read Phil's blog (and the other posts here for that>matter), you'd quickly see that this has been discussed and>throughly debunked already.I would like to formally withdraw my comment seeing as how everybody disagrees with me, and I have been out of contact with this friend for nearly six months.>Baring a miracle from on High, a "DX10 add-on" is as>impossible as a pregnant virgin.I agree. That's what I was trying to get at with my previous post. I don't understand why you are criticizing me/warning me that professional FS developers work on these forums. I'm well aware, and I was merely trying to make the point that a DX10-only aircraft would require an entire redesign of the MSFS platform to communicate with DX10 (which is a program, not a video card), something which would never be worthwile just to improve the performance/graphics of an addon minimally.I really do apologize if I haven't been clear in my previous posts.Thank you,Chris

Guest dpc

Chris,I wouldn't get yourself too worked up and worry about apologies to some folks around here. Unfortunately forums are a lot like the road ways. Some people act towards others in a manner that they would not likely act with a person face to face.Dave

Guest V-Pilot

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this whole forum thing.Chris

Yes, I can see how the whole Bill Leaming bold thing can be quite overwhelming to a newbie. Don't let it put you off - keep posting!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11