Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

Since SU10, I’ve had ridiculous gusts on short final on every single approach, even when the winds are light and no gusts reported. They have, I’m glad to see, rectified the stupid gusts/windshear problems in the cruise, but has anyone else noticed this? 10 updates to the simulator and weather is still not simulated properly 🙄 why isn’t there an option to turn the gusts off?

I didn't experience any gusts today KSAN, KPDX, KTVL. When did you fly ? 

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Whatever Asobo does..........DO NOT TOUCH THE WEATHER.........seriously, the weather gusting and turbulence depiction in the latest version is spot on.  Don't mess with it!!!!  That is flying reality.

Edited by DMullert
  • Like 33
  • Upvote 4

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

I’ve flown numerous times since the update, flew tonight EGLL-EGAC, did EGAC-EGLL yesterday and exactly the same thing. But i’ve noticed it on short final at every airport I’ve flown to since the update. If it’s just me, maybe there’s some kind of settings problem.

There's definitely an option to turn gusts off in manual weather. Live weather - on any system/sim I've used - can be used as a starting point for manual weather but can't be adjusted while remaining "live."  Same here; if live weather is serving you weather you don't want, just turn it off. 

I've personally really liked the gust behavior I've seen since SU10, but I'm sure the sim doesn't always get it right. What they really need to fix though is the exaggerated crosswind effect.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

Andrew Crowley

Spot on? It’s so far from spot on I don’t know where to start.

If I switched to manual weather, would all the temps/pressures/cloud layers stay the same as the live weather? Never done it before,

Edited by rondon9898
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

Spot on? It’s so far from spot on I don’t know where to start.

If I switched to manual weather, would all the temps/pressures/cloud layers stay the same as the live weather? Never done it before,

Unfortunately not and this is something MSFS could do better; at least I *think* that when you turn live weather off, it defaults to the preset you had selected.  You can then edit all those parameters at will. But ASN in FSX used to keep all parameters as a snapshot of live weather when you turned live wx off, so you could edit just the things you wanted to. I think that's a better system. 

• Like 3

Andrew Crowley

I vote for: what we have now is so much better than before SU10. 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

No problem with gusts for me. I'm glad to see they are back. I just had a nice flight in a GA aircraft and saw that sock indicating a stiff crosswind. I actually had to work it as I do real world. Gusts are fun and gets your hands moving. Of course, your sim aircraft has to have a good flight model to begin with. I fly jets so gusts are not dramatic for me, just makes you kick of the auto throttles and set and forget it. It does make you do the math for speed additives and good luck bleeding that speed crossing the thresh lol.

• Like 7

Been years since I've been tooling around in the sky.  But with that said SU10 almost makes me feel like I am flying again with the turbulence and updrafts coming in on approach loving it!

Fly at night at places with a light breeze or some snow covered winter land in the plains ;)

• Like 10

737NG Driver had a video about it recently saying that the gusting is very realistic vs real world now.  If that's really the case then it seems like those of us who have only flown in sims maybe need to do some re-learning and get better 🙂  Instead of just asking Asobo to "fix" it maybe we should instead ask for a realism slider where those that want it more tame can reduce them instead.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

2 hours ago, flyinion said:

737NG Driver had a video about it recently saying that the gusting is very realistic vs real world now.  If that's really the case then it seems like those of us who have only flown in sims maybe need to do some re-learning and get better 🙂  Instead of just asking Asobo to "fix" it maybe we should instead ask for a realism slider where those that want it more tame can reduce them instead.

This. The exact problem that’s in flight sim today… while of course there’s still room for improvement in all areas of every sim, there’s just too many loud voices of people who’ve never flown a plane as opposed to people who have rl experience… naturally.

But Asobo should really only consider changes and input from a list of ppl with real life experience, for the important things like fm and weather anyway, I don’t mind the causal ones having a say in how bright the sim should be. 

It is a flight simulator after all and shouldn’t be easy, aviation is a complex topic and probably one of the hardest things to master. In saying that yes there should be options for someone who just wants to cruise around. $$$

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 11