Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

For the record, he stated above that he is a real world GA pilot.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes but the point he and those pilots are making is that it is more interesting to fly in the new gust model and the conditions it creates. I make no comment on that. What I want from live weather is REALISTIC WEATHER, not weather that is artificially made more “interesting”. I am not an airline pilot, am just a GA pilot (for now), and I’m sure the gust model is good - but it is ridiculous to have these gusts in calm wind conditions for every approach in live weather because I can assure you it does not work like that in real life. 

In short, if there are gusts in real life, I’ll take the challenge in the sim, but if there aren’t, I don’t want them. And at the moment this model is completely unrealistic.

Edited by rondon9898
  • Upvote 1

Again this this useless video: HE DOESN'T USE LIVE WEATHER!

• Like 3

Just now, rondon9898 said:

Yes but the point he and those pilots are making is that it is more interesting to fly in the new gust model and the conditions it creates. I make no comment on that. What I want from live weather is REALISTIC WEATHER, not weather that is artificially made more “interesting”. I am not an airline pilot, am just a GA pilot (for now), and I’m sure the gust model is good - but it is ridiculous to have these gusts in calm wind conditions for every approach in live weather because I can assure you it does not work like that in real life. 

Thanks for your feedback. This adds another data point for me to consider, if you are a real life GA pilot. I think the best thing you can do is go to the thread in the official MSFS forum, and add your feedback on how the gusts can improve: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/thanks-asobo-this-turbulence-is-absolutely-spot-on/544851

Having said that, there are a lot of real life GA pilots here at Avsim who like the new gusts and also at the official MSFS forums. The poll result still stands though, with 97% of voters liking the new gusts (you would be in the 3% who don't like it), including many real life pilots in that group of 97%, many of whom are also real life GA pilots (yes, go to that thread in the official MSFS forum, a lot of real life GA pilots commented in that thread and they like the new gusts).

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

3 minutes ago, rondon9898 said:

I fly mainly GA at the moment and with live weather haven't experienced any gusts to speak off during approach or landing. I am flying mostly in Central America at the moment, and occasionally in Australia. There is lots of turbulence though but considering I am in a light aircraft and over mountainous terrain it's quite believable for a non-real pilot like me. The turbulence makes operating buttons in the VC tricky though. I keep hitting the wrong buttons if I am not carefull but that seems realistic as well.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

As I said, I’m not saying I dislike the gust model - that poll, and 737NG Driver’s video, miss the point.

I would like to see proper CB/thunderstorm depiction in the sim too, which hasn’t happened yet. But when it does, I don’t want to be flying through CBs on every single approach I do with live weather, because it doesn’t work like that in real life. Same with the gusts. Great model, but completely unrealistically applied in live weather.

Edited by rondon9898
  • Upvote 1

Apart from the fact that the 737driver slams down the aircraft right of the centerline with a rate of -600fpm or more and says it's a firm landing... I have doubts. I would say it's an hard landing that almost needs inspection.

However as many pointed out, that video completely misses the point. 

12 minutes ago, Jeeeno said:

Apart from the fact that the 737driver slams down the aircraft right of the centerline with a rate of -600fpm or more and says it's a firm landing... I have doubts. I would say it's an hard landing that almost needs inspection.

However as many pointed out, that video completely misses the point. 

This is why the new gusts is a subjective issue, even for real life pilots. In this thread alone, if my understanding is correct, I believe the real life pilots including @Stearmandriver, @G550flyer, @Bobsk8, @jcomm, and I think also @sd_flyer like the new gusts in SU 10 (if I made a mistake and one of you don't like the gusts in SU 10, please correct me).

There may also be a few more real life pilots in this thread that like the gusts (some comments appear to be from people that are real life pilots but because it was a little ambiguous, I didn't cite those comments).

The gusts probably need tweaking, so I hope Asobo can tweak the gusts further with more feedback from the real life pilots.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

However I'm not surprised by the "gusts everywhere approach" by Asobo. It's exactly the same to what happened around SU6/7 when there were thunderstorms and lightning everywhere. 

Yet an9ther stoopid thread on gusts guts.😂

• Like 2

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Here's a question for folks that find the gusts unrealistic: where are you flying and more importantly, what time of day is it in the sim?

I remember an update or two ago, Asobo added a simulation of thermals in live weather. People complained that it was now too bumpy all the time, and the devs explained that the sim is now simulating the presence of thermals when they'd be present - from roughly late morning through mid afternoon, starting to die down by early evening. 

They have indeed added gusts in SU10, and I'm wondering if the thermal behavior is contributing? 

I do most of my simming at dawn or dusk, for no other reason than the light looks better.  I avoid mid-day, because the world looks like a cartoon.  ;)  I also have not experienced any abberrant gusts; I've experienced them when expected (in windy conditions and with mechanical turbulence) and I've had nice smooth rides in calm wind.  

That could be random correlation, but just a thought. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Andrew Crowley

12 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

I do most of my simming at dawn or dusk, for no other reason than the light looks better.  I avoid mid-day, because the world looks like a cartoon.  😉

Yes, it is so awful and unrealistic the appearance when in noon sun light, I try to avoid it too. I vote the gusts for now are well, that said of the thermal has totally sense.

Edited by peloto

4 hours ago, Jeeeno said:

How people claim the gust system is realistic is beyond me. It's cr4p. 

And don't tell me 737driver tells the new system is realistic because in that video he doesn't use Live weather and in manual weather there's an option to tune down the number of gusts per minute, which is one the main issues of gusts in live weather. 

How many hours have you piloted a real aircraft, just curious?

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Jeeeno said:

Completely normal and smooth landing at Ryan Air.

31 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

How many hours have you piloted a real aircraft, just curious?

There are some alleged real world pilots on this forum and also on MSFS official forum, claiming the ground physics is correct (when it's clearly wrong) so, I don't think that's a good argument. 

• Like 1