Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Two Addon Scenery Puzzles

I am running FS9.1 in Windows 10 x64. I use Windows XP service pack 2 compatibility setting. The sim runs well with all the 3rd party stuff I've thrown at it.

The screenshot shows the only one of my 'addon' sceneries which is called up under the Search Addon Scenery selector.

https://web.tresorit.com/l/b7SPY#rbkAedRTtrZ6mhj9ZNks8A

All my dozens of other Addon sceneries are called up by using Search Default Scenery.

So this is one puzzle.

Maybe related to it is this scenery from the above which contains several objects created by me using a program, the name of which I cannot remember. Possibly Sbuilder.

https://web.tresorit.com/l/VbHN0#izaeXKqWSpKzhAMGIP9GfA

The aircraft  is sitting on grass instead of a concrete ramp or apron. I have tried creating a ramp using ADE9 and even AFCAD - but of concrete there is none!

As it stands this scenery is no use to me.

I'd be really grateful for any contractors out there who could help with concrete or gravel ramp construction.

Supporter.png

John

Weird stuff!

I'd never used "Search add-on scenery" before … I've got all sorts of sceneries there I don't immediately recognise!

I'm thinking perhaps they're FS2002 (or earlier) style sceneries, or at least older style "facility" files that were included with or updated with an AFCAD for FS2004.

Exactly how one goes about isolating them I'm not sure … has the airfield in question got it's own folder? If so you can start by disabling each of the files in turn in the scenery folder and check when the features you don't want disappear ;) This procedure can get a little long-winded if there's a lot of files involved … bin there, dun that (on several occasions!)

Once you've cleared the details you don't want, adding gravel/concrete aprons, ramps etc. using AFCAD2, SceneGenX or whatever utility of choice you prefer should be a breeze. sBuilder is a good program for creating background polygons etc. but not what you need for the finer details of an airfield.

Good luck :)

Thanks. You may well be right about the objects in the second screenshot being from FS2002.

The airfield in question is the default PADQ. The mod I made was to add a small ficticious GA terminal adjacent to Rwy 11. That was done in Windows XP or W7, I do not remember which, but it ran okay in W7 complete with a concrete apron!  In W10, for some reason, the concrete has disappeared.

I do not want to remove anything. i want to keep the half dozen objects in the second screenshot. 

All I want to do is add an apron/ramp but I cannot do this using either ADE9 or AFCAD. There must be some other problem.

The airfield consists of a .bgl file - the textures are all in the main texture folder. 

Supporter.png

John

So, if you remove the .bgl file that you refer to, does the default scenery reappear?

I'd suspect you've got a missing texture file, so your missing apron doesn't show, but without disassembling the scenery to find out what's expected and inspecting your installation to check for the appropriate texture file, it's all guesswork ;)

Yes, the default scenery reappears. 

It is there in my modified scenery .bgl file too.  All I did was to add a GA terminal - which shows - and a ramp/apron which does not show!

I get your idea about a missing texture and I will have a try at dissembling the modified scenery.bgl. Just how successful I will be remains to be seen.

Supporter.png

John

Two thoughts:

On the airport listed under "search Addon Scenery":
In early days of FS2004 I came across a few airports like this but haven't since those days, so I suspect the suggestion that they are FS2002, or converted FS2002, airports seems likely. I remember they were easily fixed but cannot remember exactly how given the time that has passed. I would suggest checking the add-on AFD file is present and has all the correct entries for location, start positions, parking positions etc.

On the airport with missing ramps etc:
Some sceneries built with older software look like the screen shot when viewed from top-down at close distances. Does it still do this if you zoom out to view it at a greater distance? Is it not visible from normal cockpit view?

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Thanks, John.

The .bgl file in question cannot be opened with ADE. I get an error  message 'this file does not contain an airport. ADE will not load it.'

AFCAD  says similar, 'the selected .bgl is not in recognised AFD format.'

There may be a 'lost' FS2002 AFD file somewhere on an old HDD and I will check for this.

Re. Missing ramp. This is missing in all views.

Supporter.png

John

If you can't open the BGL concerned in AFCAD or ADE, it is either not for FS2004 or corrupt. Or maybe not an AFD file at all. I don't suppose you can remember where it was downloaded from? I'd be happy to have a look.

Stretching my memory back to FS2002 I think the system was totally different and that a text file would be supplied which was compiled directly into the simulator's own files. I don't think you can do that at all in FS2004, so you may be lacking AFD data altogether.

As to the missing ramp - I am about out of ideas. Clutching at straws, maybe try moving the AFD file to a new scenery directory, located in the Scenery Library to load after the file with your new buildings? It may be that the file with the buildings in it has an "exclude" built into it.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I probably made my scenery in FS2002 using the original AFCAD utility to create the apron, taxiways, parking spots etc. 

From the AFCAD Help file it seems that an AFCAD1 scenery will not show in FS2004. A later version of AFCAD (AFCAD2) was developed which, from memory, will work in both FS2002 and FS2004. 

I have asked for help at FSDeveloper, so best to sign off here in the meantime.

Thanks a lot for your help and interest.

Supporter.png

John